What's new

Fougere Scents

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm fairly new to wet shaving, and love trying out new soaps. TOBS Sandalwood was the first soap that I purchased when I started wet shaving, and it has remained largely untouched, being replace almost immediately with TOBS Lime. That being said, I tend to lean toward citrus scents like Mike's Lime and Bergamot Orange, and I enjoy the scent as it opens up while lathering What the Puck Orange Sunrise.

Arko is a great soap and my wife loves the scent, and I recently picked up some Proraso Green that she also likes. I might add the wife also loves the scent of mothballs.
Of course I also have a dozen pucks of Williams Mug Soap, and a tube of Cremo.

Moving on I have a puck of T.F.S. Ginestro di Taormina that has a wonderfully pleasing aroma and is also a very nice soap.

For all the hype I have heard about Mitchell's Wool Fat, I have found that half a bar of Shea Butter Dove handsoap mixed with Williams gives me the same results at 1/10th of the price.

That is not to say I will turn up my nose on a Top-Tier soap if the performance and scent is there. My brother sent me a jar of Acqua Di Parma from Italy that is not only intoxicating, but an extremely good soap. Which has led me to ordering a puck of MDC Agrumes. $$$

On the less expensive side I also have some Razorock Black Label on the way, and my nose is wondering if there is another Fougere that might come out of the woods to wake it up.

Any suggestions?

Not sure if LA Shaving Company if still in business, but if it is, check out Topanga Fougere, a somewhat rustic made-from-scratch Fougere that is quite nice.

There is also a description on the website about how the scent was made that is really interesting.

Tabac is actually a fougere.

Also, Van Der Hagen Glycerin or Deluxe might be worth looking into. It has violets instead of carnations but it's otherwise a fougere scent. And a very good one, too.

Last edited:
Australian private reserve fougere trois
Barrister and Mann beaudalaire
Grooming Dept mallard fougere
Storybook/apr jungle warrior
Wholly kaw fougere bouquet
Fine American blend

Not sure if LA Shaving Company if still in business, but if it is, check out Topanga Fougere, a somewhat rustic made-from-scratch Fougere that is quite nice.

There is also a description on the website about how the scent was made that is really interesting.

They are still available on Maggard's website.

I really like the Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica. Unlike some, it actually does smell a lot like ferns, which is definitely a good thing, and it's a really great performer, too. It is quite expensive (at least here in the UK) but not on the level of MdC, and it does last very well.

pino silvestri, you can find it many places, here is one.

pino silvestre simpson dubl duck june 12 2019.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
If you prefer a Brut-type Fougere, Wholly Kaw‘s Fougere Parfaite is a spittin‘ image.
I was in fact thinking of Brut! It has been decades since I last used it. Do you know of any other fougere that would be of that nature?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How would you compare the aroma's of the MdC to the SV as to which one is more subtle. My jar of Agrumes arrived early enough for me to have a nice shave with it tonight, and the wife said it smelled nice. Of course, that was after a splash of Eau Sauvage.
Is that a Hawk?

Yes, it is a DLC SS Hawk. Very good AC razor.

I am not the one to ask about scents. I don't experience either of these soaps as excessively scent forward or overly scented or anything like that. Both seem pretty much just nicely scented to me, but please don't trust me on anything scent related other than do I like it or do I not like it.

I don't like scents which are so subtle as to be barely there. These are more there than that for me, but neither overwhelm me at all. Rather they sneak up on me just a bit. That is not me saying my nose is good. I don't seem to have the ability to describe scents in any way much beyond something like, "Well, it smells like grapefruit to me."

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom