What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

It was a Red Wing Iron Ranger 8111 kinda day. Cleaned, conditioned, mink oiled and finished with a coat of Leather Protector. The Boot Oil was not applied
View attachment 1033481

The same treatment was applied
to these 28+ years old Dr. Martens 939’s.
View attachment 1033483

Can I borrow that Shine Butler? I've got some work to do this weekend on my '91 Redwings. It could take a while.

Boots1.JPG

These boots are what “before” and “after” photos are all about.

Good idea. I’ll post pics when I’m done. I’m not going to bring them to a high shine because they will be doing some hard work come Monday, but I can get them back in fighting form with some elbow grease. Stay tuned.....

I have meetings the next couple days and wont be out in the shop again until Monday. Guilt took hold and I decided to get the process started this evening.

Cleaned...dried....placed in oven to warm leather up to 135 degrees so the leather absorbs the conditioner better and coated with a thick layer of SnoSeal. I'll leave them sit a couple days to let the SnoSeal soak in, then buff them a bit.

SnoSeal is excellent stuff. Its primarily beeswax and its been around forever. It waterproofs boots and conditions the leather. Keeps them from cracking. Probably a good reason why mine have seen 28 years of hard use and are still going strong. They ain't pretty, but they'll still get the job done. The leather is as soft and supple as a pair of Italian leather driving gloves.

After I retire in a few years I might have them resoled and reconditioned so they shine like a new dime!

Boots After.JPG

Bob/JohnnieGold, how are you finding the Saphir Sole Guard performs in real life? I am almost through the bottle I bought. I seem to have way more shores than I thought and my soles are extremely thirsty. I have not really tested any of them in wet conditions. I did notice that if I pour some water on a treated sole that has had some time to dry per the directions, water seems to wet the sole, if that makes sense. I have not tested to see if it soaks through to the inside.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
There hasn’t been much inclement whether to test it out on but I will say that the sole seems to get a sheen from the sole guard. Not slippery but it does appear that there is a “coating”. I did apply some Sole guard over the weekend to another pair of shoes that appeared to be extremely “thirsty”. I’ll follow up as these winter months come upon us.

but I will say that the sole seems to get a sheen from the sole guard. Not slippery but it does appear that there is a “coating”.

Maybe that is the issue. That is, where the sole is thirsty, I need to keep reapplying until the sole takes on a sheen, and does not dry from the sole guard application to look pretty much like the sole looked before the application of sole guard. That is slightly sheeny and not simply a flat finish.

I just ordered my second bottle of Saphir Sole Guard. I have faith in your judgement johnniegold!

Also, even if it does not really do much for waterproofing. I like the way it makes the soles look and I have to think it is good for them.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I just ordered my second bottle of Saphir Sole Guard. I have faith in your judgement johnniegold!

Also, even if it does not really do much for waterproofing. I like the way it makes the soles look and I have to think it is good for them.

2nd bottle? Are you drinking it neat or on the rocks? :wink: :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Dr. Marten 939 Ben Boot (I’m guessing they are closing in on 30 years old) were liberally oiled and allowed to sit overnight and then we’re brushed off today.

This pair was made in England. That is the original insole. Almost pristine as I always had a removable insole in there.
426F9EC1-977F-42E6-B215-A0242371E47D.jpeg
6278CF82-54F6-4933-BD55-9A3713AFA864.jpeg

Last edited:
2nd bottle? Are you drinking it neat or on the rocks? :wink: :biggrin:
I missed this earlier. I have quite a few pairs of shoes, but I do not think as many as you. My soles seem to absorb this stuff like mad. I do not think I am over applying. It takes quite a few rounds of putting it on lightly before the absorption slows way down. I sure am not leaving a sheen of oil on the soles of my shoes. Not good for the carpets and not good for me on harder surfaces. Seems like good stuff!

The Dr. Marten 939 Ben Boot (I’m guessing they are closing in on 30 years old) were liberally oiled and allowed to sit overnight and then we’re brushed off today.

This pair was made in England. That is the original insole. Almost pristine as I always had a removable insole in there. View attachment 1186213View attachment 1186214
Beautiful. I have a relatively new pair of made in England Docs, and they seem to be holding up well. I wish they came in half sizes.

At your suggestion I mink oiled up a blue pair of the AE version of Topsiders (Maritmes?) that were looking shabby. Came out great. Sucked up that mink oil like a sponge. Topsiders are not supposed to look new, but these did not quite get the right patina. They look the way they should now.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@blantyre

Test run with a deer bone

image.jpg

Before:

2E66BD35-EA1B-4EA9-AC8D-091C5640636B.jpeg

21C6A473-4912-4BE5-94C0-C54FCFE5227A.jpeg

AFTER about 30 minutes:

3BDCAF90-3485-42EC-8D0F-2887830C154B.jpeg

F090FD46-F831-4F01-AEEB-557F553B414B.jpeg

First impression:

It definitely smooths the creases. Whether it can totally eradicate creases, well, it would certainly take a much longer effort to try and make that happen.

Perhaps a rainy Saturday afternoon... 😀

Top Bottom