What's new

Supply Single Edge Blades

I have read several posts about the Supply SE razor. I am curious about the blades. I am not a huge fan of the Pella blades and find the China made Schick blades okay.

Has anyone tried these Supply blades in a vintage Schick Eversharp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read several posts about the Supply SE razor. I am curious about the blades. I am not a huge fan of the Pella blades and find the China made Schick blades okay.

Has anyone tried these Supply blades in a vintage Schick Eversharp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The supply blades are Ted Pella aka Personna injector blades.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The blades did not work well for me in the actual Supply v2 razor. In a Schick M Adjustable injector though, they work great for me!

I just ordered some Supply SE blades and will give you some feedback after I receive them and get some use out of them. I will be using them in a 1970 Shick Injector Razor as I haven't popped for their SE razor yet, but will by Christmas. I really like the look of the classic matte version. I see they have moved their distribution center from FT Worth to Austin to improve their shipping process/speed.

The Supply blades aka Ted Pella aka Personna ptfe coated injector blades are the smoothest of the 3 types of single edge injector blades I've used so far.

The next smoothest are the Schick Proline B-20 blades but the only drawback with those is they don't come with the injector on the key so you need to reload them into another key before loading into a razor.

The Chinese Schick blades which are chromium plated are harshest ones I've used. I've found they take 2 to 3 shaves to break them in before they become much smoother. They are very sharp and do work well otherwise.

There are also Japanese Schick blades available but I haven't used them yet.

You can also get Personna carbon steel and uncoated stainless steel blades for injector razors but I haven't seen them sold in single keys and they may not be suitable to shave with.

The Chinese Schick blades which are chromium plated are harshest ones I've used. I've found they take 2 to 3 shaves to break them in before they become much smoother. They are very sharp and do work well otherwise.
I agree with this, though my experience with them is that they remain harsh. Where might one get the Japanese Scick blades?

Try Rakutan. The prices and shipping are all over the place but they should he cheapest for the Japanese Schick blades and Schick II Twin blades which do work in a Supply V2 razor. I know I tried one today with the 3 dot plate. I loaded mine manually instead of using a key with no problems. I would recommend using them since they are really smooth but the only drawback is they tend to be more expensive than the single edge injector blades. If you plan to use the Schick II Twin blades in a Schick Injector they only work with the Type I and up razors and for the I and J razors won't work in the hydro-magic lever ones.

For whatever reason you need to look for chic injector blades to get results and baby chic blades for the Schick Proline B-20 blades. Depending the exchange rate and shipping sometimes the Proline B-20 blades will be cheaper through Rakuten than buying them from Connaught shaving.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Changes are afoot, from an email they sent me

"We have designed an entirely new blade injector and sourced brand new, improved blades for the Single Edge. It's an entirely better product than our existing blade injector. It will cost $6 for a pack of 8 blades, which is an increase from our current pack at $10 for 20."

Try Rakutan. The prices and shipping are all over the place but they should he cheapest for the Japanese Schick blades and Schick II Twin blades which do work in a Supply V2 razor. I know I tried one today with the 3 dot plate. I loaded mine manually instead of using a key with no problems. I would recommend using them since they are really smooth but the only drawback is they tend to be more expensive than the single edge injector blades. If you plan to use the Schick II Twin blades in a Schick Injector they only work with the Type I and up razors and for the I and J razors won't work in the hydro-magic lever ones.

Do you think it would be possible to inject the next blade after manually inserting the first? Thinking about purchasing some twins after doing a bit of lurking and seeing what people like. I still haven't made it through my first pack of blades from Supply but I am enjoying the shave closeness and experience so far, and if it can get better from there then I see no reason not to try.

Do you think it would be possible to inject the next blade after manually inserting the first? Thinking about purchasing some twins after doing a bit of lurking and seeing what people like. I still haven't made it through my first pack of blades from Supply but I am enjoying the shave closeness and experience so far, and if it can get better from there then I see no reason not to try.

You can as it turns out. You don't even need to put in a blank before loading to not ruin the blade edge on the guard stops with this razor. Just make sure the screw grabs to hold the plate then pull it open with your finger. You can inject the blade without the edges to touching the guard stops on the blade. Just tighten the screw up fully afterwards before using. The technique works with a single or double edge blade. Trying to inject a double edge into blade with a single edge already in could be an issue though. I tried it and had problems with the double edge trying ride over or the single edge getting caught between the 2 blades on the double edge Schick II blade.

I find Schick II twin blades don't shave me as close as a single edge but the trade off is they are smooth as all hell with little to no irritation or cuts compared to a single edge when used in an aggressive razor.

I used my Supply V2 today with a single edge blade after using a Schick II twin in it yesterday with the 3 dot plate and the difference was this for me.

Schick II blade was a BBS shave with just a hint of stubble in troublesome area under the jawline for me. Smooth shave, no irritation or cuts.

Supply/Personna ptfe coated stainless steel blade was a BBS shave with a glass like finish no hint of stubble anywhere but the shave was much more aggressive with some irritation and a few small nicks.

With that said to get those types of shaves I need to do 5 passes so anyone trying to replicate that would have to adjust the amount of passes accordingly for how they shave.

Overall the 3 dot plate is up there with some of the more aggressive Schick Injectors. It is in the same ball park but a little bit less aggressive than the later model I2 hydro-magics, the ones that have the longer hydro-magic lever that has writing on it.

I can't speak for the 1 or 2 dot plates yet since I haven't used them but I will be trying the 2 dot plate tomorrow so I will write back after I do a pass with a single and double edge injector blade.

I have to add now that I used the 2 dot plate, the Schick II twin blades hardly cut with that plate and probably will be just as bad if not worse in a 1 dot plate. Keep in mind Supply never made any claims that a twin blade would work with this razor, the fact that it does with only the 3 dot plate is an added bonus.

The 2 dot plate with a single edge blade I think shaves somewhere between a Schick J1v2 and J2. I don't get a BBS shave with the 2 dot plate but the amount of stubble is minimal, to be fair I don't get a BBS shave with a J1v2 or J2 either. If you've used either razors and get good shaves out of them then the 2 dot plate should work just fine for you even if it doesn't for me.

So my Schick II twin blades came in yesterday and this is my experience with them vs the Supply blades v1, rebranded/made by personna, in my Supply V2 with the 3 dot head.

Pack design
The pack is entirely metal and seems a bit sturdier than the Supply pack. The "used blade" container moves around a bit more but that is because of the means of attachment to the key and actual pack of blades, being a set of four holes secured by rasied bumps and some clamping force. The key is noticeably less flexible and more secured to the blade magazine, making it not as prone to "dip" forward when loading, with the dipping causing the blade on the Supply pack to be angled forward and unable to be loaded when not careful.

Loading in a Twin blade to replace a normal blade is not as easy or thoughtless as it might seem. As pointed out by BBS-1, the screw has to be loosened and the plate pulled forward in order to even attempt to load the blade. In my case, the blade really didn't want to go in even at the loosest setting because of the extra added length and height touching the top part of the "clamping part" of the handle. I reverted to manually loading it by unscrewing it entirely, removing the plate and the old blade, and holding the razor so that the top of the head would just be passed parallel to the wall. This would allow me to place in the blade blade side up and let gravity do its part in holding it in place while I reattached the head.
15723672844233442425911532008438.jpg

Fitment/Securement
The blade is a touch longer due to being two blades stacked on top of one another, and this has caused something that I would lable as not quite a problem, but something to be mindful of. When fully clamped down and with the screw hand tight, the guard/plate is pushed/angled forward more. This is caused by the bottom blade holding the blade stops in place and the top blade not allowing it to go fully back as it normally would. This is more noticeable when looking at the new angle of the kep gap and the increased distance from the top rear of the plate and the key slot.
1572367848957520754667509452655.jpg
15723679199415670670830003373795.jpg
15723679611943146691235878192246.jpg

The Shave
To start off, I've had a few days growth, about 1/8th of an inch, to really test out the blade and its efficiency in the razor and see if it clogs in this condition. The underside of the blade usually clogs a bit in this razor with this much or more growth and is usually tedious to get it fully cleared out, even with dunking in water and shaking vigorously in multiple directions. I would describe my facial hair as medium in thickness and not quite as abundant as others, but not thinning or patchy either.

The first pass, WTG, was very smooth and efficient, with no Knicks or weepers to be had. It cleared all growth very quickly and effectively without any tugging or pulling. Running under water seemed to clear most of the hair, but there were still some clingers and a bit stuck in between the blades, which required some shaking back and forth and side to side in the sink to clear it out. I could see some "lines" of hair coming out from in between the bladesand floating around in the water, leading me to believe that it was mostly cleared out. Upon inspecting the blades there was still some debris in left in between, but none underneath, the blades. Some sweeping with my fingers managed to get most of it out.

The next pass, XTG, was even smoother and felt less aggressive than the single blade, but still got everything up pretty well. The same issue with some hair and debris in between the blade occurred, but was easier to clean out due to the hair being smaller/shorter. Rinsing cleared out very little, shaking in water cleared out most of it, and sweeping cleared out the majority of what was left, leaving just tiny bits behind that were to far back too effect the shave.

The final pass, my nemesis, ATG, was extremely smooth compared to the Supply blade with 3 dot and compared to my previous cart, being the Gillette Fusion Proglide with vibrating handle. It got my face BBS and left very short, tiny stubble in my two problem spots on my neck, even with pulling; the single blade would leave it smoother. It was easier to tell that there were two blades this time around with the blade feel; I'm not sure how much of this was due to my technique, the blade, the razor, or the lack of hair, but it was more noticeable. Cleaning was good with shaking it under running water, and the majority was cleaned out with shaking in water. Sweeping took a few tiny pieces of hair out, but overall anything that was in the way was gone.

Under the nose/upper lip
TThis was much easier to accomplish without having to worry about technique as much, and the twin blade feel was much more predominant, but in a good way.

Conclusion
Overall I'm pleased with how everything worked out being that this razor is not designed for twin blades, even more obviously so with the new resting point of the guard/plate. The shave is very smooth and efficient with little worry of cuts or aggressiveness , but doesn't leave things as close as the single blade. I do look forward to seeing how this blade holds up as a daily shaver after this and hope that it lasts as long us others say it does, which would greatly alleviate the new changing process and the price of buying new blades. I plan on purchasing some Chics, Prolines, and the upcoming Supply blades V2 to see how they hold up against this, but my feeling is that the Twins will be my go to for this razor for the near future.

Last edited:
Supply now offers 2 model one alloy which is cheaper and the stainless steel which is more expensive.
What's the main difference other than price and materials?
Also noticed that they actually increased the price of the stainless steel one.

Supply now offers 2 model one alloy which is cheaper and the stainless steel which is more expensive.
What's the main difference other than price and materials?
Also noticed that they actually increased the price of the stainless steel one.
The difference between the two is just price and materials, as you say, I believe.

They also have upped the prices because I think the razor and extra plates are being sold as one package now.

The Supply blades aka Ted Pella aka Personna ptfe coated injector blades are the smoothest of the 3 types of single edge injector blades I've used so far.

The next smoothest are the Schick Proline B-20 blades but the only drawback with those is they don't come with the injector on the key so you need to reload them into another key before loading into a razor.

There are also Japanese Schick blades available but I haven't used them yet.

You can also get Personna carbon steel and uncoated stainless steel blades for injector razors but I haven't seen them sold in single keys and they may not be suitable to shave with.
My experience is exactly the opposite: Pella/Supply/Personna are duller than butter knives. Proline aren’t much better and it’s a hassle to load them. Chicks are super sharp, long lasting and load beautifully. USE CHICKS ONLY!!!

Top Bottom