What's new

Old People Smell

I posted this in the "Just Plain Water" thread, but I think it needs it's own thread so it gets read by a broader audience. Here's the link:

It's caused by a change in hormones, and Japanese "Pelikan" brand soap will take care of it.

Nonenal is an aldehyde that smells sort of like cucumber or orris root. It's also found in aged beer. In humans, it's due to the oxidation of sebum due to age-related increases in oxidation.

I've never really notice it, and had plenty of elderly friends. Whatever it is, it isn't nearly as bad as somebody with high levels of ketosis or somebody that's diabetic.

Japanese seem most obsessed about it, probably because they have alot of elderly and also because they are smell sensitive and obsessed about hygene.

Last edited:
Humans have all sorts of smells coming off them naturally, even when a person isn't especially dirty. Androstenol is fairly common, and it smells like celery. It's believed to act like a human pheremone, and it's a common ingredient in pheremone fragrances (it's also relatively unisex).

Nuts! Are you sure it's not just my aftershave? Not long ago I was told (here) that "Clubman" smells like "old man" so I switched to Aqua Vela. Now this. I just can't win.....

Last edited:
Nonenal is an aldehyde that smells sort of like cucumber or orris root. It's also found in aged beer. In humans, it's due to the oxidation of sebum due to age-related increases in oxidation.

I've never really notice it, and had plenty of elderly friends. Whatever it is, it isn't nearly as bad as somebody with high levels of ketosis or somebody that's diabetic.

Japanese seem most obsessed about it, probably because they have alot of elderly and also because they are smell sensitive and obsessed about hygene.

I wish they were obsessed enough to do something about the rampant BO and dreadful breath I experience whenever I'm forced onto public transport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me thinks it's an Axe or Gillette millennial myth. Us old folks can't stand the way millennials smell either. Most remind us of pig-pen from Peanuts with a cloud of headache-inducing scent surrounding them. Nothing to worry about if you're old and using Grandpa's or Packers Pine Tar soap. My wife, kids, grandkids and great-grand kid would not hesitate to tell me if I smelt like death warmed over.

Surely, it has nothing to do with the drug cocktails of fifteen or so maintenance drugs the folks are on.

I'm sure that has to have something to do with it in addition to the natural hormone changes. Lately I've started smelling myself. Early onset brought on by my daily drug cocktail I suppose. Getting back on the elliptical now for the seventh straight day. I need to start with a bang and sort of overdue it a little. Kind of like a running start. This needs to be a lifestyle change. Not just a "I'm going to lose weight and then take it easy" sort of thing.

Over the years my clothes, shut up in my wardrobe have taken on an 'old peoples' smell (according to my wife) despite being clean and laundered. I've fried air freshners and hung up electronic air freshners, like the ones some folks put in their refrigerators to combat smells, with little to no lasting effect.

Then one day, by accident. after shaving I put my wet shaving soap puck in the bottom of my wardrobe with its lid off to dry out and guess what?....I discovered my clothes took on the scent of the soap and the whole wardrobe is lightly perfumed. So guess where I now keep my wet and dry shaving soap pucks ...?

Over the years my clothes, shut up in my wardrobe have taken on an 'old peoples' smell (according to my wife) despite being clean and laundered. I've fried air freshners and hung up electronic air freshners, like the ones some folks put in their refrigerators to combat smells, with little to no lasting effect.

Then one day, by accident. after shaving I put my wet shaving soap puck in the bottom of my wardrobe with its lid off to dry out and guess what?....I discovered my clothes took on the scent of the soap and the whole wardrobe is lightly perfumed. So guess where I now keep my wet and dry shaving soap pucks ...?
I can't guess, where do you put your soap?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

There was a book nook in our kitchen dining area at the old house we were at. Build in the 40's, and below the cook book nook was a cabinet where we kept our napkins and whatnot, things for the table that we might need another of in the middle of dinner that could be close at hand, tablecloths, etc...

After about six months, we noticed our napkins were perfumed all of a sudden, and to this day we are stumped. They still smell like grandma's house even though we moved almost a year ago.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There was a book nook in our kitchen dining area at the old house we were at. Build in the 40's, and below the cook book nook was a cabinet where we kept our napkins and whatnot, things for the table that we might need another of in the middle of dinner that could be close at hand, tablecloths, etc...

After about six months, we noticed our napkins were perfumed all of a sudden, and to this day we are stumped. They still smell like grandma's house even though we moved almost a year ago.
Easy.

Casper the friendly ghost.

My Grandfather owned his own auto repair shop. I remember him always smelling of old metal and oil never as an old person. lol To this day whenever I get near something like that it reminds me of him. Cleaning my '46 Remington, a tour we did of the USS Alabama.... Sorry I got lost in a memory there. :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Me thinks it's an Axe or Gillette millennial myth. Us old folks can't stand the way millennials smell either. Most remind us of pig-pen from Peanuts with a cloud of headache-inducing scent surrounding them. Nothing to worry about if you're old and using Grandpa's or Packers Pine Tar soap. My wife, kids, grandkids and great-grand kid would not hesitate to tell me if I smelt like death warmed over.
I love Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap. Use daily as shampoo but I’m only 70 so still pretty young.

Top Bottom