What's new

Pre-Shave Oil in Using a Shavette

Thought I'd share a recent experience, for what it's worth. I picked up a Focus shavette (one of the cheap ones, not the all-aluminum model) and some platinum Derby half-blades from an Internet seller in the Netherlands. First shave was my usual routine of late with straights, Vitos pre-shave cream, Proraso aloe vera cream for "sensitive skin," and a Christian Lenart witch-hazel blend afterwards. The shave seemed rather raw, mysterious weepers without nicking, and not an enjoyable shave overall.

For the second shave a few days later, I decided to use almond oil instead of the mentholated pre-shave cream, thinking that the oil layer might provide some protection under the shaving cream. And indeed it did. The result was a very smooth shave with no weepers at all. Another thing I changed was to not rinse off my face with hot water between the first and second pass, so as to leave any oil trace there. This too seemed to help.

If you are finding a shavette shave too harsh in the usual way, I recommend that you give this a shot. It really was an eye-opener for me.

@Alum of Potash

Thanks for sharing your experience. When I first started straight and shavette shaving, I found that some type of pre-shave treatment was always helpful, and an absolute must if shaving without a hot shower right before.

Nowadays, it's very seldom that I'll use a preshave treatment, and only if shaving without the shower. I'll y use my own mix of grapeseed oil and cedarwood essential oil. Sometimes I'll use a product called ShaveSecret (which is marketed as a shave oil). There are definitely merits to preshave oils & treatments, and they are a viable solution for anyone suffering from nicks or weepers.

I will also add that if you're using the same Derby blades that came with my first shavette (sold in a 100 pack), they are pretty unforgiving and bloodthirsty. I might suggest trying a less agressive blade. Gillette Silver-Blue are night/day different than the Derby half-DE's.

Just food for thought.....

Thought I'd share a recent experience, for what it's worth. I picked up a Focus shavette (one of the cheap ones, not the all-aluminum model) and some platinum Derby half-blades from an Internet seller in the Netherlands. First shave was my usual routine of late with straights, Vitos pre-shave cream, Proraso aloe vera cream for "sensitive skin," and a Christian Lenart witch-hazel blend afterwards. The shave seemed rather raw, mysterious weepers without nicking, and not an enjoyable shave overall.

For the second shave a few days later, I decided to use almond oil instead of the mentholated pre-shave cream, thinking that the oil layer might provide some protection under the shaving cream. And indeed it did. The result was a very smooth shave with no weepers at all. Another thing I changed was to not rinse off my face with hot water between the first and second pass, so as to leave any oil trace there. This too seemed to help.

If you are finding a shavette shave too harsh in the usual way, I recommend that you give this a shot. It really was an eye-opener for me.

Congratulations on a nick-free shavette shave! It is an accomplishment. If I may add: I typically use Stirling pre-shave oil with a Weck shavette, but opted for Proraso Red pre-shave today. My experience was the same as ever. Perhaps your benefits came more from not rinsing between passes?

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the variable of not rinsing with water between passes, my goal being to keep a light trace of the oil on the face rather than rinse it off.

As for the Derby blades, I must admit that I'm a bit naive in what is what there. These came in a black packaging, rather than the green-blue one and were 1-2 euros more expensive. I bought them thinking they might be milder, along the lines of a poor-man's Solingen Merkur. Guess I was wrong, but the oil seemed to do the trick as there were no weepers on the first and second pass, whereas there were weepers during both passes following my normal straight razor routine. And the sensation afterwards was very nice, not raw like the first time.

Since it seems to be working, I'm going to stay with it for a little while. I will admit that these blades from the factory seem a bit hit or miss, seemingly rougher than I would allow for any straight razor I had honed for example. I also ordered some Solingen Timor full DE blades, thinking that they might yield a smoother edge. I can always crack these in half by way of comparison. I am aware of what the Russian Gillette bleu blades are like.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the variable of not rinsing with water between passes, my goal being to keep a light trace of the oil on the face rather than rinse it off.

As for the Derby blades, I must admit that I'm a bit naive in what is what there. These came in a black packaging, rather than the green-blue one and were 1-2 euros more expensive. I bought them thinking they might be milder, along the lines of a poor-man's Solingen Merkur. Guess I was wrong, but the oil seemed to do the trick as there were no weepers on the first and second pass, whereas there were weepers during both passes following my normal straight razor routine. And the sensation afterwards was very nice, not raw like the first time.

Since it seems to be working, I'm going to stay with it for a little while. I will admit that these blades from the factory seem a bit hit or miss, seemingly rougher than I would allow for any straight razor I had honed for example. I also ordered some Solingen Timor full DE blades, thinking that they might yield a smoother edge. I can always crack these in half by way of comparison. I am aware of what the Russian Gillette bleu blades are like.

The black packages are Derby Premiums, supposedly better than Derby Greens. You might try BIC Chrome Platinum. Consistently sharp, yet smooth.

I know this is an old thread but here goes,
I shave primarily with a Shavette (usually a Parker SRX Professional)
I mainly use the Derby professional half blades (greens) I have used the Premiums and find them harsher and less forgiving than the greens, so in my opinion, I don't think they are a better blade, just different.

Top Bottom