What's new

How do you soak your boar brush?

Well, I did another shave with the Omega 10049 Pro Boar today. I believe number 14 today. It worked as I expected and today I did a bowl lather with Palmolive Cream. @TinyT I believe you are right the Omega just takes time to break in (part of the reason I am committed to using it for a month maybe two). I want to see if I can tame the Omega a bit. I like it great already, just curious how far it will go.

It's all of the above, although I wouldn't go as far as saying they're a lesser quality, at least not from a subjective standpoint. They function just as well (sometimes even better) as the finer bristles on the semogue. They seem like fairly different animal bristles, despite both being boar. Omega bristles are noticeably thicker and take a lot longer to break in. And even when completely broken in, will have a different feel than the semogue due to the thick hair shaft.

In my experience, the omegas never truly 'bloom' when broken in (to resemble a badger), unlike the semogue's. Rather, you get a raggedy looking brush that resembles a chewed toothbrush head lol.

I started out with Semogues and while it took some time to get used to the Omega 'stiffer' bristle, I much prefer it now. Of course, the handles on the former are much much nicer, but there is something about the 'utilitarian' look of Omega brush handles that I really like.

I don't mind a raggedy, chewed toothbrush if it's effective! Backbone seems to be highly prized amongst B&B members and as my technique develops I may well come to appreciate the particular quality unique to Omega brushes.

A break in period is what it is. The best, but not the most expensive, humble, good quality leather shoes I've ever worn have been this way. I wouldn't have wanted them to learn to walk in though, or I'd still be crawling most likely. Either that or barefoot and who knows where that would have ended up.

bigfoot-crossing.jpg

I'm now wondering if the problem with the Omega is that it is just taking ages to break in because the bristes are thicker or stiffer, maybe a lesser quality or some other variable. Or, the Omega simply has more backbone.
It took three years of nearly daily shaves for my Omega 10005 (the one from my post on page 1) to get to a point where I felt that it was fully broken in. It probably took that long because I didn't perform any kind of formal break-in routine beyond its initial vinegar/shampoo cleaning; I just used it.

Undoubtedly, it would have been much quicker if I had subjected it to the cold water soak described by Mantic59.

Today I used the 10049 Pro Boar for the 15th shave now, and it did great. It ate up the lather from the Barrister and Mann sample I was trying today. I can now say that Barrister and Mann is a thinner lather that isn't high density it seems, so not going to be my go to with this brush and it may stick though with other creams and lathers, the Omega was great though through the shaving process and helped me get a near BBS and a great DFS today.

Today I used the 10049 Pro Boar for the 15th shave now, and it did great. It ate up the lather from the Barrister and Mann sample I was trying today. I can now say that Barrister and Mann is a thinner lather that isn't high density it seems, so not going to be my go to with this brush and it may stick though with other creams and lathers, the Omega was great though through the shaving process and helped me get a near BBS and a great DFS today.
I had the same experience with my B&M sample. It was very thin lather that I did not enjoy as much. That said, it was a sample size and I didn't have the option of lathering from a full tub. I'm hoping to get a full tub some day to see if it improves.

I had the same experience with my B&M sample. It was very thin lather that I did not enjoy as much. That said, it was a sample size and I didn't have the option of lathering from a full tub. I'm hoping to get a full tub some day to see if it improves.
@Timeclo mine was also a sample. I am reserving final judgement until I get a large tub of soap.

My somogue 830 a lather hog with about 20 shaves on it. I'm about to give up on it.
I load heavy with a damp Semogue 830 and it gives me a decent lather to work with. It's not an easy brush but I think it can work well using the right amount of water and loading. What's the issue that you're having?

My somogue 830 a lather hog with about 20 shaves on it. I'm about to give up on it.
That's sad to hear. What type of lather are you looking for? What kind of soap/cream are you using? Are you bowl lathering, face lathering, palm lathering, or other? I am sure there is a way to get the lather you want without giving up on the brush yet.

I load heavy with a damp Semogue 830 and it gives me a decent lather to work with. It's not an easy brush but I think it can work well using the right amount of water and loading. What's the issue that you're having?
That's sad to hear. What type of lather are you looking for? What kind of soap/cream are you using? Are you bowl lathering, face lathering, palm lathering, or other? I am sure there is a way to get the lather you want without giving up on the brush yet.
I will keep trying guys. I use mostly Stirling, Arco, and tabac. I face lather 95% of the time.

I will keep trying guys. I use mostly Stirling, Arco, and tabac. I face lather 95% of the time.
Same here. Face lathering with Stirling soaps is excellent. Load heavy with damp brush and you can get an amazing lather. Hope you have some great shaves in the future!

Hi again,

I will try my Sterling Margaritas in the Arctic tomorrow with the Omega and see how it goes. I haven't used it since I bought my Omega. I Don't have Arco, or Tabac yet, got to get through some stuff before I buy more soaps.

Shave 16

DSCF1180.JPG

Merkur 34C
Gillette 7.00 Yellow (4)
Semogue 1438
Proraso White

Aaahhh, back with the Proraso White. This may not be an expensive or glamorous soap but it is very good. Reliable, gentle, nice subtle scent.

Cold water shaving is still novel enough for me to get a little excited about it as I prepare for shaving. A 2 or 3 minute soak in my small bowl for the Semogue, wet my face with about 8 or 9 splashes till my hands start to hurt a bit (I get very cold water tap water here) and I get started lathering.

2 or 3 shakes of the brush, no water dribbled on the soap and I loaded for somewhere between 30 seconds and a minute. I dipped twice while lathering in the bowl, spent about 2 minutes, wet my face again with my left hand and started face lathering.

This brush is a delight. I really, really enjoy lathering with cold water, each dip adding a little more slickness, it's like I'm using a soft, fluffy snowball.

I cleaned my lips off, first pass, WTG, right ear. Hmmm, not a smooth as I was expecting. A little tuggy under my lower lip and the corners of my chin. No real problems though as I finished the pass and rinsed off.

With this brush I can even swirl and mash gently for the second pass and I didn't need to add any water. The paint brush style strokes are really smooth. WTG, once more, much better but it always is. Smoother and easier, not tugging anywhere, not even under the lower lip or the chin corners. On my neck I changed my path slightly, first left side, all the way up to the ear in 2 strokes, then straight over to the right side for the same again, leaving the centre neck with the tricky adams apple till last. This is the most technical area so it makes sence to leave it to the end, I should probably have always been doing it this way. My adams apple is very prominent, with a sharp edged ridge shape and I have to slide my skin left and right either side of it with my free hand but even then, it's not the flattest of surfaces to shave.

I rinsed off, didn't bother with a clean up and finished.

The Gillette 7.00 is less smooth, less comfortable and leaves a less close finish than the Perma-Sharp. I am tempted to draw the conclusion that it's less sharp, but my still developing technique and inexperience make it difficult for me to make an accurate judgement.

Not the closest shave but no redness, no irritation, no nicks, no weepers.

1ca.jpg

Do you have any other boar brushes that you use/like?

As you might have read, I have an Omega that has been giving me a bit of bother and I've used it for somewhere between 50 and 100 shaves now and I still haven't quite figured it out. It's currently undergoing the 48hr cold water treatment. The way the Semogue is going though, it'll be difficult for it to compete for my attentions but I doubt I'll give up on it totally after putting so much work into it. It has already improved some, I think, but then so have I, so it's hard to say.

No doubt I'll try another Omega at some point, but I suspect that each different brush requires a technical adjustment of some sort. And that's just for boars. I expect to find even bigger differences when it comes to badgers and synthetics, which I will inevitably get round to.

Is the lather hogging the only problem, or is it difficult to get a lather that you're happy to shave with?

Semogue brushes.jpg

I came across this earlier when I was reading this Damn Comfortable Shave - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/damn-comfortable-shave.526419/ (a treasure trove of shaving information, if ever there was one!)

I think it should prove useful to boar users and goes some way towards explaining the different experiences provided by different brushes. I wonder if the quality is ranked from the top (the 2000 with Super 70% tops being the least) to the bottom (SOC, Special Grade Boar being the best) or whether the bristles are chosen to suit a particular brush or use?

I certainly love my 1438 with it's Extra 75% tops. 🥰

Do you have any other boar brushes that you use/like?

As you might have read, I have an Omega that has been giving me a bit of bother and I've used it for somewhere between 50 and 100 shaves now and I still haven't quite figured it out. It's currently undergoing the 48hr cold water treatment. The way the Semogue is going though, it'll be difficult for it to compete for my attentions but I doubt I'll give up on it totally after putting so much work into it. It has already improved some, I think, but then so have I, so it's hard to say.

No doubt I'll try another Omega at some point, but I suspect that each different brush requires a technical adjustment of some sort. And that's just for boars. I expect to find even bigger differences when it comes to badgers and synthetics, which I will inevitably get round to.

Is the lather hogging the only problem, or is it difficult to get a lather that you're happy to shave with?
I also have Omega 10049 that's not easy for me to get a good lather out of. My 10066 lathers great no problems I love that little brush. I will work the 830 and 10049 more often into my rotation because I got frustrated with them and not used them in about year.
Thank all you guys for the advice and encouragement not to give up on these brushes.

I also have Omega 10049 that's not easy for me to get a good lather out of. My 10066 lathers great no problems I love that little brush. I will work the 830 and 10049 more often into my rotation because I got frustrated with them and not used them in about year.
Thank all you guys for the advice and encouragement not to give up on these brushes.
Question @Kealon7 : How long do you soak your brush for? Maybe let us know your routine of how you use the brush. Hope this thread will be helpful.

Question @Kealon7 : How long do you soak your brush for? Maybe let us know your routine of how you use the brush. Hope this thread will be helpful.
I soap brush usually 15-20 min while I'm in shower. I shake most of the water out the brush and load on puck for 45 sec to 1 minute adding a little water when needed.

...I wonder if the quality is ranked from the top (the 2000 with Super 70% tops being the least) to the bottom (SOC, Special Grade Boar being the best) or whether the bristles are chosen to suit a particular brush or use?..
Here is a great post explaining the different grades of Semogue bristles:

I soap brush usually 15-20 min while I'm in shower. I shake most of the water out the brush and load on puck for 45 sec to 1 minute adding a little water when needed.
Yeah, the process you do is what I do. I use a moderate pressure on the soap while I load. I also build the lather while face lathering for a long time the following counts are from a video I did:

I painted the soap onto my face for about 2 minutes, and add water around 5 times so that the skin starts to show through the base of soap or it starts to make peaks.

Then I swirl the brush on the painted on soap for about another 2 minutes. I keep adding water around 5 times going for a nice coolwhip consistency of lather.

I was able to get 4 passes out of the lather I made with the brush and soap.

I will give the Sterling a try tomorrow morning and report back here with what I did, and what happened.

Top Bottom