What's new

Simple, inexpensive, casual wear shoe?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have some shoes in mind but I’m always curious what the folks here think and your opinions.

I’m in the market for a simple, inexpensive (sub $200 ideally) shoe for casual wear. Meaning I won’t be wearing it every day. Mainly on my days off. I have some boat shoes for the summer, and boots for whenever, sneakers as well but I’m looking for something a bit more refined.

No real style in mind except to say that I would prefer it to be comfortable during winter months. Not necessarily a boot - but not exactly a summer boat shoe either. Ya get me? Maybe leather upper, or suede, or even some other fabric that would be OK with just a pair of socks on.

To give you an idea of what I have in mind I’m considering the Jack Purcell Converse. I saw them talked about here and I really like the style. They look like they would go well with a pair of jeans or any other pants.

But I’m not totally set on those because maybe I want something in leather. Like a nice pair of driving shoes. or loafers. Brands I like are Keen, Sperry, Ariat, Justin, Red Wing. But not opposed to any other good brands.

So what ya got in mind?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
How about a ankle boot?

Not suggesting this brand as it NZ made, just a example to consider.
Then again with the exchange rate and less GST, I think you would be below $200 USD still.
I know they are not like what you are thinking of but here you go anyway.

These are the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned.

20191110_190514.jpg

Maybe a desert or chukka boot would fit your needs/taste. Leather or Suede.
I personal would go leather for winter and leather or suede for summer.

Capture.JPG

Capture 1.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think a Chukka ticks all the boxes, simple, inexpensive and casual.

I've been considering a pair myself. The suede ones I posted are made to order with a 4 week lead time or I would have just bought them now.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
How about a ankle boot?

Not suggesting this brand as it NZ made, just a example to consider.
Then again with the exchange rate and less GST, I think you would be below $200 USD still.
I know they are not like what you are thinking of but here you go anyway.

These are the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned.

View attachment 1034454

Maybe a desert or chukka boot would fit your needs/taste. Leather or Suede.
I personal would go leather for winter and leather or suede for summer.

View attachment 1034455

View attachment 1034456
what brand is the top pic?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Jason, what about a Derby Country? I got these last month and couldn't be happier!

visual_bottom_secolatt_c_03_x1080.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
They are Mckinlays from Dunedin in New Zealand. They are the Sherwood Eagle on page two.

Not the same shoe but it shoes how they make them.

Cool info
Ive been looking at the pull on style boot for awhile
Years ago i had a pair of blundstones. Do you know how these compare?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
look nice
im looking at trickers country shoes
But they blow the op (and my) budget.

Mine are Velasca. Price point is €250, very reasonable I'd say for a pair of handcrafted shoes, 100% made in Italy.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Mine are Velasca. Price point is €250, very reasonable I'd say for a pair of handcrafted shoes, 100% made in Italy.
very smart looking. Checking out the site. I like the wingtip version with the vibram sole

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Cool info
Ive been looking at the pull on style boot for awhile
Years ago i had a pair of blundstones. Do you know how these compare?

Sorry I've no personal experience with the pull on boot.
The Mckinlays can be resoled and are made to last.
I believe blundstones are no longer made in Aussie or NZ which is a shame. They are now made in Thailand and India.

This is on Mckinlay Facebook
20 years old pair of boots. Left boot with the elastic replacement/Right boot as original

50866882_1943223159137068_606772307901284352_o.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The only boots that I wear are pull on boots. I wear steel caps made by Redback. The only lace-up work boots that I could wear in the past were John Bull steel caps made in New Zealand. Mr BIL left the railways here in Australia and he gave me a pair of boots that he never wore. Fantastic boots but when I went to replace them the price was fantastic to. I went back to my trusty Redbacks. I used to like what we called Desert Boots. Basically a Suede soft sided and soft toe boots that was great for casual wear.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
very smart looking. Checking out the site. I like the wingtip version with the vibram sole

I have the Wingtip version in Cognac (pic above) and want to buy the Cap-Toe version in Dark Brown, too. All of these are coming vith a robust Vibram sole, very appropriate for cold, rainy winter months.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’d really like something I can try on. So something available in stores around here. If not and I do order online they better have a good return policy. I’m really picky with how my shoes fit.

I would pass on Drivers. They just don't last.

I just got this boot in the lace-to-toe version, but here is the Chukka version. Brilliant shoe with the great new Vibram arctic grip sole.

A little over budget but they do have sales occasionally.

I also just got the KEEN Austin Shoe which I quite like. They also make it in a Waterproof boot. Men's Austin Casual Waterproof Boot - https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-AUSTIN-CASUAL-BOOT-WP.html?dwvar_M-AUSTIN-CASUAL-BOOT-WP_color=1019504&cgid=

Last edited:

I have the desert boots in the beeswax as well as the suede. Super comfortable and dress them up or down if you need too.

Also another honourable mention should be the blundstone boots, and the adidas Stan smiths. Both are great to wear any time of the year

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m not about to drop 400+ on a pair of shoes for just casual wear. Even if they will last the rest of my life.

Those Keens don’t look to bad. I’m over the black shoe thing so I’m glad they offer them in brown.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m not about to drop 400+ on a pair of shoes for just casual wear.

$235 for a made-in-USA boot ... and Black Friday just around the corner.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

$235 for a made-in-USA boot ... and Black Friday just around the corner.
Hmmm that might be a front runner now.

Top Bottom