What's new

Who made the razors for Wet Shave Club?

Some of you my remember the monthly box subscription service dedicated to wet shaving, Wet Shave Club. It has since going out of business. I'm not entirely sure why but I suspect it was due to it being poorly managed. Like I said, I don't know. In your first box, you would receive a DE Razor. Who made those razors? I asked them but they wouldn't tell me. Here's a picture:
Wet Shave Club October 2015 2.jpg

Bonus Question - if you know the answer: Why did they go out of business?

It looks like the "Crown" blades are made by "Lord Razors" "Lord International" which I believe is out of Egypt.

Last edited:
It looks like the "Crown" blades are made by "Lord Razors" "Lord International" which I believe is out of Egypt.
I don't think I've ever tried Crown blades before. I should see how they rate compared to others. But I'm truly only interested in the razor pictured here. Surely someone knows.

Are there any other markings on the razor??

If not, then I would guess that Lord also made the razor. It looks like some of their products.

More than likely it’s a rebranded Chinese import. That’s the route most of those things have to take to keep costs down.

There are many similar such razors on Alibaba.

It looks similar (identical?) to the Lord L7:
proxy.php

As for why they went out of business, I heard that they just charged too much. The first few boxes had decent stuff (a nice brush, decent razor, artisan soap, etc.), but as time went on, the number of items in each box became fewer and the size of the products went from full-size to sample-size.

At that point, $30/month felt like a ripoff to most people, so the customer base evaporated.

As for why they went out of business, I heard that they just charged too much. The first few boxes had decent stuff (a nice brush, decent razor, artisan soap, etc.), but as time went on, the number of items in each box became fewer and the size of the products went from full-size to sample-size.

At that point, $30/month felt like a ripoff to most people, so the customer base evaporated.
I had a 3 month subscription. The first box is always the best, of course. Razor, brush, and other things like soaps, creams, aftershaves, styptic, etc. The next few boxes were indeed sample sized stuff...but some of the samples were very generous. I was overall happy with my three boxes. Later down the road, it seems there were a lot of complaints about boxes coming late or not at all, poor quality in the boxes, etc. Then, there was a change in management which seemed to improve things for a bit until it all just sort of went away.

That looks like a Merkur 34C clone from China. I actually have one almost identical to that, and I also bought one for my dad. Good razor.

I love that razor! I wanted to buy one without paying The Wet Shave Club's markup for it, but was never able to find the manufacturer. All I know for sure is that they are made in Pakistan. (I got that information directly from the Wet Shave Club.) I figure they paid $5 or $6 dollars apiece for them and sold them for $30. They claimed they sorted through them to remove defective items.

I would love to know the name of the manufacturer, too. I'm looking forward to reading the responses you get in this thread.

It's not a Lord - the head is a clone of Merkur 34C/Edwin Jagger.
OP's photos don't show the head very well but this seems to be the case.
Going by Pakistan as the country of origin, I found this:

Brand is reportedly "Odexa".
I've received in a PIF a Colonel Conk razor that seems to be quite similar to this one, you can see it here:

and here:

Head also has a logo like yours - in my case obviously Col. Conk.
Not sure if you're looking for another copy or to satisfy your curiosity, hopefully the above info helps.

Last edited:
It's not a Lord - the head is a clone of Merkur 34C/Edwin Jagger.
OP's photos don't show the head very well but this seems to be the case.
Going by Pakistan as the country of origin, I found this:

Brand is reportedly "Odexa".
I've received in a PIF a Colonel Conk razor that seems to be quite similar to this one, you can see it here:
Thanks, this has been really helpful.

I think the manufacture is called "obexa", since I found a razor on their website, that looks exactly, like the one that Wet Shave Club used to sell, even down to the middle ring on the bottom of the grip, being just a little smaller then the one above and bellow, I even measured the pixels, and calculated the "spaces" between knurling and the curved bit, right under the head, and it was only 0.13mm off, so I am very confident that this is the manufacture.

it evens matches up with what "cw62803" said, about getting told directly from Wet Shave Club, that they were maid in pakistan, since this company is a Pakistani company, so it pretty much ads up ^^

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2020-01-13 kl. 06.53.29.png
    Skærmbillede 2020-01-13 kl. 06.53.29.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Top Bottom