What's new

How to contact Captain Murphy.

D

dangerousrazor

I have a couple of razors in need of repair service. I've seen a lot of compliments on Captain Murphy.
so I searched for him on this community. It seems that he doesn't log in our community any more. His last visit dates back to 2018.

Is he out of business? if he isn't, how can I contact him?

D

dangerousrazor

I wrote him a mail and will let you know the result

I have a couple of razors in need of repair service. I've seen a lot of compliments on Captain Murphy.
so I searched for him on this community. It seems that he doesn't log in our community any more. His last visit dates back to 2018.

Is he out of business? if he isn't, how can I contact him?
In the event he's retired or worse, consider contacting Matt at Razor Emporium. He's been doing razor tune ups and refurbs for several years now:

For replating, contact Chris at BackRoadsGold - https://www.etsy.com/shop/BackRoadsGold He does gold, nickel & rhodium replating - his work is first-rate:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think from memory that his main job keeps him pretty busy. He may take a little while to respond. Someone else who has dealt with him may have more information. Don’t be despondent if he takes a little while to get back to you.

Contact Chris Evatt at www,razorplate.com. He knows Cpt Murphy well and would know if he is in business.
A few years ago, I had a Fatboy in need of repair and replating. I sent my razor to Cpt Murphy ( in Idaho, I think ) who offered to send my razor direct to Chris ( in N. Car ).. He told me the two worked together all the time. Cpt Murphy is/was in the Navy and razor repair was a side gig. But his work was superb and worth the wait.
But that was then. I don't know how things are now.

Frank (@Dragonsbeard) is right. Cap is extremely busy but I talked to him yesterday (have a few projects with him) and I think he may be slowly catching up. Still he said he is way way behind on emails and everything.

I suggest to simply wait for his answer, he always reverts eventually as he is not only a razor wizard but also a top notch gentleman. I personally always wait patiently respecting fully his very busy work schedule, and sometimes he goes months between mails. Its just the way it is.

Cap and Chris are still working closely together - this rare gold 3rd gen Aristo is one of their latest refurbishments :001_tt1:

6FEF133F-2A6F-499F-9DC2-DB594A5D6120.jpeg

Last edited:
D

dangerousrazor

Frank (@Dragonsbeard) is right. Cap is extremely busy but I talked to him yesterday (have a few projects with him) and I think he may be slowly catching up. Still he said he is way way behind on emails and everything.

I suggest to simply wait for his answer, he always reverts eventually as he is not only a razor wizard but also a top notch gentleman. I personally always wait patiently respecting fully his very busy work schedule, and sometimes he goes months between mails. Its just the way it is.

Cap and Chris are still working closely together - this rare gold 3rd gen Aristo is one of their latest refurbishments :001_tt1:

View attachment 1033433

Thanks for up to date info!. I sent him an email yesterday. It seems it will take long to get response from him.

D

dangerousrazor

Yup, but worth waiting for! - didn’t notice your avatar until now - very cool indeed, sir :thumbup:

Thanks. I've wanted to get my hands on the razor. Instead, I won a bid on Famex.It will arrive at my house next week.
By the way, are you still looking for Danish razor? I've seen one pop up. It is not cheap though. I guess you've seen it.

Thanks. I've wanted to get my hands on the razor. Instead, I won a bid on Famex.It will arrive at my house next week.
By the way, are you still looking for Danish razor? I've seen one pop up. It is not cheap though. I guess you've seen it.

Yup, thanks, saw the Danish Ginge and it is pretty high. Also I have been hoarding Aristocrats of late so am telling myself to lay low... :)

Look forward to pictures and shave report on the Famex, please :welcoming:

D

dangerousrazor

Short update.

I received a mail from Cap. Murphy.
He says he is still in business but has a long turn around time right now.

That's good to know that he is still in business.
I too have written him in the pass many times but have not gotten any response.
Now I know why.

I had contacted him and then got a response about 6 months later or so. He had been deployed. If you are not in a hurry, I would highly recommend him as the guy is a legend and is super meticulous in his work. I sent in two razors that I had contacted him about: My wife's Lady Gillette and a 46/47 Aristocrat. He contacted me and sent pics of them disassembled and let me know what he found to be the problems, other than the obvious. The Lady Gillette was in very nice cosmetic shape, but was really difficult to open and close. Sometimes it would not entirely close at all. Cap got it working perfectly and then hand polished it before sending it back. It was literally like brand new. The Aristocrat was sent on to Chris at Razorplate and plated in Rose Gold, and then returned to me. Both razors functioned smoothly and everything was alligned perfectly. I was more than thrilled when I got them back. Even my wife said she was sorry for griping about her razor being out for repair when she saw how nice it was upon return. LOL. She got to try out several of mine, (epic fail) but she is pretty much stuck on the Lady Gillette as being perfect for her. So now she has a just like new one, thanks to Cap. If you have the time to wait, his work is definitely worth it. And the tag team of Cap for mechanical work and Chris for replating is pretty much unbeatable. Here are some pics: I had wanted Rose Gold but there was a miscommunication so Chris kindly redid it in Rose Gold after having plated it in Gold. (He sent me pics of it first, before mailing it). The rose gold is actually darker and warmer than in the pics. I think there is another Aristocrat in Rose Gold on his page that is more true to the color than these photos.

Attachments

• crat.jpeg
    crat.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • LG.jpeg
    LG.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • crat1.jpg
    crat1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 27
  • crat2.jpg
    crat2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 24
  • crat3.jpg
    crat3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 26
  • cratRG.jpg
    cratRG.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 27
  • cratRG2.jpg
    cratRG2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Capt. Murphy did a superb repair for me about a year ago, fixing a severely bent corner tooth on my favorite RFB. As others have said, he can take awhile to respond, but he really does nice work.

Top Bottom