What's new

November 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Well...what did you break for? Not gonna lie, I'm struggling. A lot of tempting deals this month.
Timeless Aluminum. I had one and it shaved me great without irritation as long as I didn't shave through the weekend (started to get irritation on about day 7). I like a two pass shave, as the more passes I do the worse the irritation is. I had gotten a Game Changer .68 that I thought was going to be perfect, but it just couldn't get me a good enough shave, sometimes even on three passes on the neck area. I'm military, so need to look clean shaven. I was just going to stick out with the .68 through the month then probably offload it but someone put a Timeless Aluminum on the BST last night for $45 and I couldn't resist.
Now on to selling the Game Changer... In the meantime, I've got my Razorock Old Type that will get me through the next few days. Long term, I may sell both the game changer and aluminum and order the Russian stainless that everyone is raving about.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Timeless Aluminum. I had one and it shaved me great without irritation as long as I didn't shave through the weekend (started to get irritation on about day 7). I like a two pass shave, as the more passes I do the worse the irritation is. I had gotten a Game Changer .68 that I thought was going to be perfect, but it just couldn't get me a good enough shave, sometimes even on three passes on the neck area. I'm military, so need to look clean shaven. I was just going to stick out with the .68 through the month then probably offload it but someone put a Timeless Aluminum on the BST last night for $45 and I couldn't resist.
Now on to selling the Game Changer... In the meantime, I've got my Razorock Old Type that will get me through the next few days. Long term, I may sell both the game changer and aluminum and order the Russian stainless that everyone is raving about.
Gotcha. I'm military as well and definitely understand the necessity of shaving everyday. You've got to have a set up that gets you there. There's always next month...I'm hanging on to this sabbatical by a thread myself!

Doing well.

Just had a nighttime shave a little while ago after working hard pretty much all day. Had a game I wanted to watch so I didn't have much time for the shave after a relaxing shower, so I used Barbasol foam with my Feather shavette.

If you add a little water the Barbasol isn't bad. Two quick passes and I was CCS+.
Post shave face feel with the canned foam isn't great, but the shave was fine.

brandaves

I'm out. I saw s PIF I couldn't resist. Winner hasn't been announced but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Sorry gentlemen, I feel like I've let you down!

Still in and all ADs are under control.

I'm using more or less the same setup every day: 34c, MWF, Muhle STF (occasionally the Semogue 1460) and B&M Spice ASL. During the second half of October, I was using the exact same setup apart from the soap, which was Tabac.

The Semogue put me out of last month's GRUME, but it is turning into a lovely brush. However, I have limited time for shaving during weekdays, so the synthetic comes in very handy.

I'm trying some blades that I haven't used before. Namely the Astra SS, which I think I prefer from the SP variant and the Super-Max Blue Diamond Platinum, which work very well for me.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

I'm out. I saw s PIF I couldn't resist. Winner hasn't been announced but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Sorry gentlemen, I feel like I've let you down!
Curbing ADs is a process, keep it up even if there are hiccups on the way.

As DEPenguin stated I too don’t do shave of the day. But this morning was a very nice shave. I used the trusty GameChanger 68. Astra SP(4). The soap was Sudsy Soapery Citrus and Bay. Followed up with Captains Choice Bay Rum. I too will have no problems making it through November. That and my kids said I have to because I have an issue. They said next step will be an intervention. Good day to all.

Still in. Haven't had the time, energy, or inclination to do any shopping.

Yesterday's shave:
Arko
Made Rite 303 with new mixed badger-boar knot
Gillette Super 84
Wilkinson Sword Brazil (6)
Avon Leather

Everything except the razor was acquired last month..... 🙃 The blades were a gift, though.

Mediocre but effective. Didn't use enough soap for the best lather. Will have to do better next time.

One week (more or less) check in. Still in.

Last month's splurge on a Wacker and a Rigarazor has definitely put my ADs into (at least temporary) remission. I am using this month to work through my mountain of soap samples and learn the finesse required for the french point on the Rigarazor. I still have three of my straight restorations to sell and one waiting for me in the workbench.

In need of absolutely nothing this month.

Three days growth in three passes with EJ89 paired with Bolzano, second and last shave on the last blade. Very smooth, silent alum. Going back to Personna for now, but when run out will buy Bolzano. I'm impressed by the performance.
P. S. I wish I could snap artistic pictures but alas, no talent in this field. I'll try next time.

brandaves

Curbing ADs is a process, keep it up even if there are hiccups on the way.
Thanks for the support. I knew it was going to be a tough month to try a sabbatical going in...thought I'd make it more than a week though.

SOTD
Face

Timeless Aluminum
Voskhod blade x2
Simpson's Chubby 2 Best
MdC Rose
Thayers Unscented WH

Quick BBS 3 pass. No issues. Still in, no temptations.

SOTD
Head and Face

Murkur Futur
Feather x1
Simpson's Chubby 2 Best
SV Colonia Bullgoose
SV Colonia AS Balm

BBS head shave setting 6,3 and 1. One weeper on 3rd pass. Face shave BBS setting 2. Love the SV 4.3 base. Scent on the Colonia is awesome. Still in!

After trying out Bolzano, I went back to my go-to Personna. It's sharper, yes. Also, alum is being felt more. Nothing out of ordinary, no discomfort, or irritation but the tingling sensation is more pronounced.
I've several tucks of Derby Premium somewhere, I should revisit. Last I remember they weren't the sharpest, and I parked them out of sight.
Overall, I'm happy with the same setup, tried and tested: EJ89 with Personna (#2) and Nuàvia Rosso. EJ Silvertip is the perfect companion for softer soap. Scentless moisturizer for post shave, as always.

SOTyesterD
  • Antica Barbiera Colla
  • Maggards 24mm Synthetic
  • 1908 Single Ring
  • Nacet (7)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Gentlemen's Grooming Black Pepper & Thistle ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS

SOTD
  • Antica Barbiera Colla
  • Maggards 24mm Synthetic
  • RazoRock Mission
  • Nacet (3)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Gentlemen's Grooming Black Pepper & Thistle ASB
  • Pinaud Clubman AS
The Clubman is gone. Sure, it was a little sample bottle, but I can celebrate that as a 3017 victory, right? :a17:

Still very much in. No temptations because I have what I need and love what I have. I've told the family not to buy any soaps for me for Christmas, but if a Karve OC "C" plate or a Kent brush showed up, I wouldn't be sad. ;)

Top Bottom