What's new

Whoa... La Toja

I haven’t used mine much but brought it with me on a short trip so it’s up for the next 2 or 3 shaves. Look forward to seeing how it treats me.

Unfortunately this is one of the fews soaps I tried that are below average for me.
I say unfortunately because I loved the clean scent.
I think that's the same formulation I used.
I could lather the soap without any problems, but the slickness and protection were average.
The soap is so cheap, especially if I find it locally, that I'll probably use it again, but without big hopes.
Try grating a stick into a regular soap container and loading a brush on it. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

That's exactly how I did it.

Outstanding soap (stick or container)....Always have a couple of sticks on hand with one permanently in my Dopp kit. Incredible, slick, rich, cushioning lather!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I bought a stick quite a while ago but I have not tried it yet. It gets a lot of love from what I have been reading.

I had a two week sample of La Toja that I used from start to finish. For me it fell into the 'I could happily use this soap for the rest of my life.....or never use it again and be just as happy' class. Which is actually a pretty good rating.

I haven’t used mine much but brought it with me on a short trip so it’s up for the next 2 or 3 shaves. Look forward to seeing how it treats me.

I've used la toja stick since my 15 to my 30something. (with badger brush but with a multiblades gillette, is how I was teached by my dad). It have some risks of making a small reaction on the skin of some people because of the salts it has, but it has a clean scent and a very good performance. It is a great example of a soap that you can combine with any aftershave you want, and it used to be damn cheap in spain (still you can get it for about 1 Euro), but alas, it is no longer made in Spain (even if everybody relates it to Spain, of course). A multinational company bought it, and while they still use the salts from la Toja spring waters (Galicia, spain), the sticks are actually made in eastern europe. Good thing you can still get good soaps made in spain, some more commercial like myrsol soaps (well , never used them), Lea/Bea, or Alvarez gomez, but also really good artisans, like Eufros, By Luna, Joserra, or more recently, DAISO. It's a pity that a so long term product in ever store shelves like la toja, is not longer made up there in spain....

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
La Toja is my #1 shave stick, no question.

Being a HUGE fan of La Toja products, lately I also added back to my den both La Toja shaving creams.: Classic and Sensitive. Both are fantastic.

Are the "salts" in this soap basically minerals from a spring?

At least it used to be. I cannot say it with full proof as of now as it belongs to a big company, but to my knowledge they still use the salts form this old spring from La Toja island, in Galicia. 'La Toja' brand use to make everything there, but once bought, some products where made elsewhere...

Forget best shave stick. It may well be the best soap, period.
This. I found it hidden in a box from when I first Shaving and never used it going from Artisian to artisian. 3 weeks ago I picked it up and haven’t put it down. For one I can’t believe it’s a veggie soap. And like the guy I quoted said it might be the best soap I’ve ever used and I’ve used quite a few, but I’m sure less than a lot on here. The scent is subtle, but yet amazing for me. The slickness is amazing, and the cost for shave with this little guy is outstanding. I’m thinking I’m about to order 5 sticks along with the cream tonight and it seems to have the affect of can’t wait to shave with it in the morning every night😉. The only thing that might keep me from 3017 the sticks from here on out is the many soaps I have and need to use up or get rid of and the fact I love WK Fern Concerto with Menthol in the summer.

This. I found it hidden in a box from when I first Shaving and never used it going from Artisian to artisian. 3 weeks ago I picked it up and haven’t put it down. For one I can’t believe it’s a veggie soap. And like the guy I quoted said it might be the best soap I’ve ever used and I’ve used quite a few, but I’m sure less than a lot on here. The scent is subtle, but yet amazing for me. The slickness is amazing, and the cost for shave with this little guy is outstanding. I’m thinking I’m about to order 5 sticks along with the cream tonight and it seems to have the affect of can’t wait to shave with it in the morning every night😉. The only thing that might keep me from 3017 the sticks from here on out is the many soaps I have and need to use up or get rid of and the fact I love WK Fern Concerto with Menthol in the summer.

Good move IMO! You might consider adding some of the La Toja splash to ‘fill out’ your cart!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

The stick continues to impress me. It kinda ridiculous how good it is compared to the very expensive, top-tier soaps in my den.

I'm about to order the splash as well

Good move IMO! You might consider adding some of the La Toja splash to ‘fill out’ your cart!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

Did just that. Ordered 3 sticks, the splash, the balm, and the 150ml cream from Maggards and it should be waiting for me when I get home. Can’t wait to try out the cream and splash/balm tomorrow morning.

The stick continues to impress me. It kinda ridiculous how good it is compared to the very expensive, top-tier soaps in my den.

I'm about to order the splash as well

Yes the stick continues to impress, I honestly think I could use this soap for the rest of my life. It smells great and if out performs other top soaps in my den. And I would never guess that it was non tallow. If it wasn’t for some vintage Irish moos shave sticks and some AOS Tallow sitting around I’d sell my whole stash. Those two mighty have to stick around however.

@tsimmns tell us if any of the post shave products smell like the soap.

Never used the balm but the splash has a pretty generic 'modern masculine' almost sporty type smell. It, to my nose, smells a lot like the Gillette cool wave splash you can get in big box stores today. It's not bad, it's just not for me.

@tsimmns tell us if any of the post shave products smell like the soap.
Never used the balm but the splash has a pretty generic 'modern masculine' almost sporty type smell. It, to my nose, smells a lot like the Gillette cool wave splash you can get in big box stores today. It's not bad, it's just not for me.

+1 for this. The scent of the soap is just clean and soapy. The AS products all have a scent that is different from the soap. Like @slybrewguy, those scents aren't for me (but they perform well, especially the ASB).

Goodies have arrived.
84DA5B4F-2491-4FC5-B309-41EC6131145A.jpeg

Top Bottom