What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

1912 Curved top squat head
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191104

Razor: GEM G Bar
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (2)

Very nice shave! Smooth and comfortable.

The GEM G Bar seems to be a nice mild and fairly mellow SE razor.

Right up my alley. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD Nov 5-2019

Razor : Gem Micromatic flying wing or MMBT or Micromatic guiding eye......- MFG 1947-51 great razor!
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)
Soap: Proraso red Sandal Wood
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + Dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave: Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Proraso red Sandal wood aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + no weepers= :a17:

TUESDAY Nov 5- 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
GEM Clog Pruf / GEM PTFE (2)

This is my second time using any type SE! Less weepers than last time, but still quite a bit of post shave alum sting. How many shaves did it take people to settle in? Or should I be looking for a milder SE?

View attachment 1031816
Congrats on your second shave! I would think you'd be dialing in your SE technique soon. It's a bit different then a DE shave and takes a few under your belt to really start getting the worry free shaves you're looking for. Have you shaved with Gem/Ever-Ready/Star 1912 yet? Those are really nice razors as well. I did best learning SE technique with them. The Micromatic is nice because you can just ride the cap. I don't ride the cap with the 1912s and get excellent shaves with them. Either way, don't fret it'll come! If the alum was your only indication that you made some mistakes then you are progressing very well for shave number two!

OneBlade Hybrid / Modified GEM (~9th) - Still going strong

TBS Maca Root & Aloe shave cream
30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel
TBS Maca Root & Aloe Post-Shave Water (gel/balm)
Spritz of Avon Olander

GEM Clog Pruf / GEM PTFE (3)

This shave wasn't perfect, but smoother than the last. Focused on keeping the Clog Pruf's cap as close to my skin as possible.

Only had a few weepers on my neck. Still alum sting, but not as bad as last time.

@brandaves - haven't shaved with a 1912 yet as the only SE I have is the Clog Pruf. I am going to take yours and others advice and stick with the Clog Pruf to make slow, steady progress.

OneBlade Hybrid / Modified GEM (~10th) - New blade for the next shave, as it took extra work to get BBS this morning, even flipping the blade again.

Razor: Schick M3 Adjustable
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Neutrogena Shave Cream
Lather: Razorock XXX
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Razor: Above the Tie G1 (mild plate)
Blade: Personna PTFE (2)
Brush: RazoRock Beehive Synthetic
Bubbles: Proraso Green Tub
Ahhh: Nivea Men Sensitive Skin

First, I want to call out the brush. I have a badger brush and a boar brush and they each have their quirks and foibles. I accept that. But this synthetic brush does such a great job, my badger is getting dusty (gitcher minds outta the gutter!).

The ATT G1 has to be one of my all-time favourite razors. The mild plate is normally far too mild for me, but with some care and attention to angles I had a very comfortable shave this morning. The G1/mild is quite sensitive to shave angle because of limited blade gap and exposure. There's a pretty narrow sweet spot and this morning I made it my job to stay in it; with some success.

I usually use the more aggressive plate (which is now all you can get, I think) and still find it somewhat mild.

I neither corked nor stropped the blade. I find the first two shaves with a Gem the absolute best, then they're not too bad for two or three shaves after that. After about the fifth on my head and hair, it's more like hoeing weeds than shaving. Were I to shave my face I might go farther on a blade. I use it on my cheeks and even a blade I think has been dulled on my head will shave OK on my face. But I'm shaving a piece on each side about the size of a 50-cent piece, so I'm not going to keep hammering away on a dull blade just because it still works somewhere.

O.H.

Weds NOvember 6

No Repeat (mostly) NOvember. Up today is a L'Essor hoe/lather catcher with a CV Heljestrand wedge blade I honed myself. Looking forward to this shave.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF
Brush - Rubberset 400-3
Blade - CV Heljestrand wedge (2)
Razor - L'Essor hoe/LC
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Clubman A/S

Shave rating 5 of 5

Last time I shaved with this razor in OCtober, I used a GEM SE blade. Today I used one of the wedge blades I recently honed. The razor and blade provided a very nice, mild shave. I did two passes; first pass WTG was DFS. Second pass XTG and was BBS after second pass. The MWF provided excellent lather as usual. The alum was a little vocal on one side of my neck but that was it. Finished up with the Clubman A/S.

Happy NOvember and great shaves everyone.
66E0B1CC-E930-4FDA-926E-1991D2A65396.jpeg

Top Bottom