What's new

What are you looking for in your next brush?

Exactly as the titled states.

What are you looking for in your next brush? Badger, synthetic, boar, or horse hairs?

2-band, silvertip, tuxedo, cashmere, ivory handle, purple haze handle, lotus shape, TNS, TDR, DG, .... and the list goes on.

As for me, I'm slowing down my brush search but I wouldn't mind another soft synthetic in my den. Given my purchases this month, I'm going to hold off on that but it's a potential for next year.

Let me know what you're looking for!

Probably another badger, although I am also considering a new boar!! Perhaps a horse?? Synth?? :a21:

Synthetic definitely, I want one of those Thäter/Shavemac octagonal handle shapes. Currently just trying to figure out if the Thäter is worth the additional 40€ :D

Probably another badger, although I am also considering a new boar!! Perhaps a horse?? Synth?? :a21:
Give me one of everything!!!

Synthetic definitely, I want one of those Thäter/Shavemac octagonal handle shapes. Currently just trying to figure out if the Thäter is worth the additional 40€ :D
Ooo that's a tough decision. I'm so used to my Yaqi synthetics that I'm very hesitant in spending a lot for synthetics. Hope you can get a good deal on one!

Synthetic or Boar, Solid Metal Handle.
Look towards Zenith / Mondial for boar metal handles. I'm not too familiar with synthetic metal handles though.

I only have boar brushes. If I remember on 11.11, I might pick up a yaqi two band best badger to give a 'decent' badger a shot.

I've been pondering a short-handled travel brush with a synthetic knot, but haven't found anything that has caught my fancy, yet. (Although, this Yaqi "Bunny" with aluminum handle looks pretty cute.)

In my mind, I envision a handle similar in size and shape to an Omega 11047 Mixed Midget with an 18-20mm Tuxedo knot. Might have to get this custom-made. Or, maybe buy a Mixed Midget and re-knot it.

I only have boar brushes. If I remember on 11.11, I might pick up a yaqi two band best badger to give a 'decent' badger a shot.
Nice! I'd definitely recommend Yaqi badgers to start off. I still enjoy my Yaqi badgers and they're one of the best badgers for their value. As for boars, I've done my fair share of boar-hunting. I probably have 10+ right now that I'm rotating through but my favorite is one of the cheapest, Stirling boar.

I have:

2 proraso omega
1 omega 48
1 omega 49
1 semogue 820
1 semogue 610
1 semogue 1460
1 semogue 1438

It's pretty ridiculous lol. While they are all enjoyable to shave with, I'm currently dedicated to using only one of the two omega proraso boars, exclusively. I want to break it in perfectly before moving on to the next and doing the same. The semogues pretty much broke in instantly when i bought them almost five years ago now. It makes me realize that all I ever really needed was 1 brush, but I already own them and don't regret them. I've bought them here and there, never more than 2 at a time. For the price of a cheeseburger combo, I can't complain. I THINK I just want one badger to say I own one, because truth be told, I'm perfectly happy with my boars.

I asked myself this question and now i have a yaqi two band badger on the way. In the coming months i would like to get a rudy vey two band.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have:

2 proraso omega
1 omega 48
1 omega 49
1 semogue 820
1 semogue 610
1 semogue 1460
1 semogue 1438

It's pretty ridiculous lol. While they are all enjoyable to shave with, I'm currently dedicated to using only one of the two omega proraso boars, exclusively. I want to break it in perfectly before moving on to the next and doing the same. The semogues pretty much broke in instantly when i bought them almost five years ago now. It makes me realize that all I ever really needed was 1 brush, but I already own them and don't regret them. I've bought them here and there, never more than 2 at a time. For the price of a cheeseburger combo, I can't complain. I THINK I just want one badger to say I own one, because truth be told, I'm perfectly happy with my boars.
Nice! My boar collection is similar to yours except it's more Omega heavy. As for your reasoning, I completely agree. If I just skip this one meal, I can get a boar brush with it! I can fast for one meal, haha.

I started off with badgers because someone gifted me a couple. Badgers have nice face feel as well as good performance. Boars are nice but there is something about badgers that I enjoy as well. If you just want to try one, I'd say try a Yaqi 2-band or silvertip. They perform well and they're having a crazy sale on 11/11 on Aliexpress.

I asked myself this question and now i have a yaqi two band badger on the way. In the coming months i would like to get a rudy vey two band.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Congrats! I love my Yaqi 2-band badgers and I'm glad to have a couple. I also have a Rudy Vey brush but I'm planning to set my own knot in it. He does an excellent job making these handles.

A Simpson Eagle 2 size and shape handle with a scrubby non-SHD bulb in wild orange or yellow or pink silly swirly color. My favorite brush is $60 so it better be a reasonable price. I ain't holding my breath.

So instead I might attempt to whittle a chunk of spalted maple to that spec this winter and stuff a Maggard's 20mm or 22mm 2-Band Bulb in it. When that fails I'll contact Bernd at shavemac and pay for his expert services instead.

As for myself, I've been interested in artisan handles and putting my own knot in it. I got couple handles and couple knots that I'm waiting to put together. Also, I've been interested in Viking brush after seeing some great looking examples on this forum. I might have to look more into that. I just can't seem to land on the right color/scheme.

A Simpson Eagle 2 size and shape handle with a scrubby non-SHD bulb in wild orange or yellow or pink silly swirly color. My favorite brush is $60 so it better be a reasonable price. I ain't holding my breath.

So instead I might attempt to whittle a chunk of spalted maple to that spec this winter and stuff a Maggard's 20mm or 22mm 2-Band Bulb in it. When that fails I'll contact Bernd at shavemac and pay for his expert services instead.
Hmmm I get the Eagle shape but scrubby non-SHD bulb? I haven't heard that one before. Does the Maggard 2-band fall under that category?

Hmmm I get the Eagle shape but scrubby non-SHD bulb? I haven't heard that one before. Does the Maggard 2-band fall under that category?

Not really. I have one in 22mm and it's firm but pretty luxurious.

G3 with Maggards knot and SLOC.jpg

However favorite brushes are Simpson and shavemac Pure grade hence the scrubby non-SHD. Likely won't see a LE Pure hair brush with a wild color handle any time soon. Here's a shot of one of the 2 G2's in Pure I adore.

G2 Simpson April 2019 for web.jpeg

Last edited:
Not really. I have one in 22mm and it's firm and luxurious.

View attachment 1032336

However favorite brushes are Simpson and shavemac Pure grade hence the scrubby non-SHD. Likely won't see a LE Pure hair brush any time soon.
I hear that the Simpson/shavemac pure badger are different than the usual scritchy pure badger. My experience with pure badger was with Parker brush and it felt like wires on my skin. Hope you find what you're looking for!

I'm thinking of getting a new knot installed in my 48-year-old Floris brush handle, now an amazing dark brown. It fits my hand so perfectly.

About 6 years ago I had it rebadgered with a silvertip knot, but now the center of the knot is hollowing out.

Any suggestions? I want to stick with badger, but I think I need a fully-packed knot so see me out in style.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting a new knot installed in my 48-year-old Floris brush handle, now an amazing dark brown. It fits my hand so perfectly.

About 6 years ago I had it rebadgered with a silvertip knot, but now the center of the knot is hollowing out.

Any suggestions? I want to stick with badger, but I think I need a fully-packed knot so see me out in style.

Thanks.
Maggard SHD badger is widely known as one of the best for the value. There are also other options from TGN, TurnNShave Tip knots, and TDR Fanchurians, regular maggard 2-band etcs.

Top Bottom