What's new

Seen on Amazon VdH page

I learned quite a bit from that video. :c1: Such pointers as
  1. Go over the same spot repeatedly without any lather or wetness on it.
  2. Use a chopping motion when using the razor.
  3. Always apply lather on a dry face.

I see no problem with using VdH products. Basically they work. But this guy sure doesn’t have much lather on his face! Not a good teaching photo for others!

Their scented luxury soap is currently rated number one on Amazon. It's usually up in the top 10. The unscented luxury soap is also ranked highly.

I do not put much stock in Amazon ratings of shaving soaps. Amazon also pushes Sir Hare shaving soap. It is not very good either. I have evaluated nearly 40 different soap formulations and over 150 soaps. There are only three soaps that I rank worse than VDH. They were so bad that I refuse to use them. At least I kept the VDH as my reference for a poor quality soap.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
fwiw I never trust amazon to give me useful reviews. this is because popular is usually not equal to good

fwiw I never trust amazon to give me useful reviews. this is because popular is usually not equal to good

The rankings in a sector are based on sales quantity and value. The exact formula is a secret. These are simple math. I don't think there are any terrible products in the top 25 or so.

It's becoming harder to figure out the product pages. It seems like everyone is trying to get you off it.

I do hope you are being sarcastic. IMHO, VDH soaps are bottom tier, not even up to average.

Hardly. I get good shaves from VDH soaps. Did a face lather this morning with VDH Luxury soap. Nice, long-lasting, with good slickness. Going to it from Colgate was a bit jarring due to fragrance, but I can't complain about the results.

I've never tried VDH soap. I told myself I'd buy one sometime since they were readily available at local stores--but they disappeared before I got around to it. If they want to position themselves as an alternative to Gillette, then they really need to hire a marketing department who can portray how to use the product properly. What they're doing reminds me of the Quilted Northern ads that had a bunch of ladies knitting instead of quilting.

I see no problem with using VdH products. Basically they work. But this guy sure doesn’t have much lather on his face! Not a good teaching photo for others!

He is using shaving butter. It's not a lathering product. By the way, which VDH products have you used?

This thread illustrates a big reason why I don't pay too much attention to reviews. The end cap grip is one I've seen in Gillette instructional pamphlets. It is good for new shavers learning how much pressure is needed. The end cap won't come unscrewed if it is tightened the last 1/4 turn.

It looks like the top cap and safety bar are resting on the skin. Theoretically, that's the best position. I find it better to rest more of the top cap on the skin.

The video wasn't Van der Hagen's.

Unfortunately, in everyone's rush to ridicule a picture used as a small part of a product page, people have forgotten about the product. After 275 shaves, I think I'm qualified to have an opinion on the razor. There is no better razor on the market if the design works for the individual. I shave every day, so I don't know how it would work on long whiskers. I have used it after three or four days of not shaving and didn't notice any difficulty.

Many people are excited about the new Gillette Heritage razor. They have the hope Gillette will re-enter the safety razor market. They left. They don't get to come back easily. Van Der Hagen already has a huge assortment of razors. The entry-level razor is all brass and chrome plated. It's only $7.99. Mine shaves perfectly and still looks new after 275 shaves. Since this razor already gives a perfect, comfortable shave, there is no way a Wolfman could do any better.

Most people don't like the blades. So buy new ones.

Top Bottom