What's new

High end razors worth the hype?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's all in the blade gap/exposure. Everything else is secondary. A razor could be made of Element 115 mined by extraterrestrials in another universe and it wouldn't matter. Too many people think that stainless or some other high $$ alloy machined to NASA specs just simply has to shave better!! There is a "Goldilocks Zone" of approx. 0.025" gap that works for the vast majority and that is where the Gillette Tech & Schick Krona reside.

I agree 100% with the above. Design and geometry is everything. That said, everyones ideal will be different.

Are high end razors worth it? Certainly, for some.

Wolfman, Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods as well as others are exquisitely made pieces. Of the ones I mention, my personal preference, aesthetically, are Charcoal Goods. I really like Charcoal Goods razors. However, I'm 99% sure the designs I've seen wont work for me and I'm not willing to spend the money to find out. Could I adapt my shave and make them work, sure. I did that with my R41, but, I want a razor that suits and fits me and how I want to shave, not the other way around.

The Timeless and Wolfman designs would work for me, but in the end they wont shave me any better, and possibly not as well because I dont like blade gap, than my Grande. The Fatip OC head just plain works for me. Would I prefer one in a more exotic material? Nope. I prefer brass. Brass is heavier than stainless and I couldnt balance my Grande better if I did it myself.

I dont personally desire the aesthetic appeal enough to warrant the cost for a high end razor and at the same time I completely understand and respect those that do. I would have no trouble at all, and I didnt, spending $10,000, or even 10 times that amount, if I had it, on audio equipment. Many I'm sure dont have a desire to do that but for me thats the one area I'd splurge and go all in. Well, I would for cars too but thats out of my financial league lol.

To each their own. The only advice I could give is to understand which design works the best for you and focus on the best possible outcome that would make you the happiest and most content in your purchase.

There may have been some confusion when you mentioned "design" being more important than spec. I took it that way as well. Granted, one could argue that specs are part of the design . However, usually when people separate design from specs it it's more along the lines of the aesthetic appeal
For example someone could design an absolutely beautiful gorgeous razor to behold. But if it doesn't perform, then it's just a pretty paper weight.

excellent point and totally agree... when i mentioned 'design' i only meant it as part of the specs, in particular the way the head is designed which has an effect of how it holds the blad (chatter) and the angle of the blade in respect to the head.. of course blade gap and blade exposure come into play here but i believe they all work together to achieve a certain feel

Last edited:
I agree 100% with the above. Design and geometry is everything. That said, everyones ideal will be different.

Are high end razors worth it? Certainly, for some.

Wolfman, Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods as well as others are exquisitely made pieces. Of the ones I mention, my personal preference, aesthetically, are Charcoal Goods. I really like Charcoal Goods razors. However, I'm 99% sure the designs I've seen wont work for me and I'm not willing to spend the money to find out. Could I adapt my shave and make them work, sure. I did that with my R41, but, I want a razor that suits and fits me and how I want to shave, not the other way around.

The Timeless and Wolfman designs would work for me, but in the end they wont shave me any better, and possibly not as well because I dont like blade gap, than my Grande. The Fatip OC head just plain works for me. Would I prefer one in a more exotic material? Nope. I prefer brass. Brass is heavier than stainless and I couldnt balance my Grande better if I did it myself.

I dont personally desire the aesthetic appeal enough to warrant the cost for a high end razor and at the same time I completely understand and respect those that do. I would have no trouble at all, and I didnt, spending $10,000, or even 10 times that amount, if I had it, on audio equipment. Many I'm sure dont have a desire to do that but for me thats the one area I'd splurge and go all in. Well, I would for cars too but thats out of my financial league lol.

To each their own. The only advice I could give is to understand which design works the best for you and focus on the best possible outcome that would make you the happiest and most content in your purchase.
Yeah...i related to that. I'll burn 400.00 on NOS preamp tubes but balk at spending the same on a razor. And tubes are ultimately a consumable item....😕

I went into this knowing I wanted a solid non-coated metal razor. I also knew that my OCD would never allow for a polished version of whatever metal I ended up with so that narrowed down the list as well. I then considered the weight and hardness of the material in question. After looking closely at all of the brass, copper, bronze, SS, Titanium options I ended up splurging on a scratch and dent Timeless Ti .95. Virtually rust proof, very hard and quite lite and maneuverable. If I had to do all over I may look at the GC 84 for less than half the $$ but probably not.

congratulations.. you have done well, im sure your gonna love it

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah...i related to that. I'll burn 400.00 on NOS preamp tubes but balk at spending the same on a razor. And tubes are ultimately a consumable item....

SimAudio will, eventually, be my financial ruin and I'm okay with that! lol

Very interesting comments here. Some guys have me thinking why i purchased the timeless Ti....

And some guys have me thinking “fk it,buy premium if you want premium”” lol...

I will see how the razor performs today. If its just as most razors then i think i will opt for a game changer .84.

I have a timeless 0.95 in SS and the GC JAWS. If you love the efficiency and feel of the Timeless you bought i would recommend you go for either the GC OC or GC JAWS. The efficiency of these two are on a touch more than the timeless 0.95 but you also get a touch more blade feel. Both GC mentioned are not as smooth as the timeless (not far of though).

The GC 0.84 SB is definitely milder than the 0.95 Timeless

Ok so here’s my verdict....

Timeless Ti arrived, i looked at the box and considered everyone’s comments on this thread....

I admit, i was tempted to just send it back due to the price. I did think its rather steep, to be honest.

Unboxed it, loaded an astra SP......

Took a shower.

Loaded up some SV dolimito soap and lathered up in my timeless bowl.

Wet my face and Painted on some lather.

I am happy to say......the Timeless Ti literally blew me away!!!! I am not saying this just because i spent the money i did on this razor. It blew me the hell away....wow.

.95 blade gap is just out of this world.

BY FAR the smoothest shave i have ever had in my life with zero irritation.

I am so happy i never sent it back.

So is it worth the hype??? HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my razor for life. I found my forever razor!

My RAD is over!!! Ok.....well, errm...cough cough.....might have to look at the Timeless website.

Guys, it is worth the hype!!! It really is. Its not just a blade holder or an over priced razor. Its worth every penny. The titanium polished is so smooth and just glides over my face.

What a razor! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

This one is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeless Ti arrived, i looked at the box and considered everyone’s comments on this thread....

I admit, i was tempted to just send it back due to the price. I did think its rather steep, to be honest.

Took a shower.

I am happy to say......the Timeless Ti literally blew me away!!!! I am not saying this just because i spent the money i did on this razor. It blew me the hell away....wow.

My RAD is over!!! Ok.....well, errm...cough cough.....might have to look at the Timeless website.

Guys, it is worth the hype!!! It really is. Its not just a blade holder or an over priced razor. Its worth every penny. The titanium polished is so smooth and just glides over my face.

What a razor! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Told you! haha and so did many others :)
The bronze timeless is awesome too!!
You will quickly forget about the money but the pleasure of using that razor will be with you forever.

Told you! haha and so did many others :)
The bronze timeless is awesome too!!
You will quickly forget about the money but the please of using that razor will be with you forever.

I am so happy i got it.

BBS with absolutely zero irritation!!

My face feels amazing.

As @Esox said

I think @Erchy discovered to be true. Congrats on finding a great razor.

As @Esox said

I think @Erchy discovered to be true. Congrats on finding a great razor.

Thanks bud.

Ive been searching for a great shave for many years. Ive spent a lot of money on razors.

DE’s, straights, single edges, shavettes....you name it.

The timeless has out done all of them! By far.

I honestly did not think this razor would make any difference but it proved me wrong.

Took a shower.

What a razor!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

awesome... it great to hear your so happy with it!! what cap and base did you end up with?

in regards to your comment about RAD.. well.. dont count on that lol

if you are after a bit of variety at some point i highly recommend the GC JAWS or OC and of course a wolfman.. i dont have one yet but am on the list

awesome... it great to hear your so happy with it!! what cap and base did you end up with?

in regards to your comment about RAD.. well.. dont count on that lol

if you are after a bit of variety at some point i highly recommend the GC JAWS or OC and of course a wolfman.. i dont have one yet but am on the list

Thanks bud.

I got the Ti with the solid base and smooth cap.

0.95 gap.

Very happy with it. I look forward to my next shave! Which will defo be tomorrow [emoji1]

Well worth every penny.

Timeless have really done an amazing job making their razors.

Thanks bud.

I got the Ti with the solid base and smooth cap.

0.95 gap.

Very happy with it. I look forward to my next shave! Which will defo be tomorrow [emoji1]

Well worth every penny.

Timeless have really done an amazing job making their razors.

nice choice, i also have the SB and smooth cap... i also noticed you said you loved this razor with the astra sp blades

i know that blades are YMMV, and i personally dont like astra sp blades but do yourself a favour and try some polsilver SI blades in your timeless.. I have found the polsilvers are so much smoother than astra sp and sharper too.

I have gotten a few of my mates here onto these and the difference is night and day.. if you think the timeless is smooth now you will be in for a treat

nice choice, i also have the SB and smooth cap... i also noticed you said you loved this razor with the astra sp blades

i know that blades are YMMV, and i personally dont like astra sp blades but do yourself a favour and try some polsilver SI blades in your timeless.. I have found the polsilvers are so much smoother than astra sp and sharper too.

Ive got a load of different blades so i will defo play around and see what works.

Astra’s are always a smooth shave for me.

I've got vintage and modern razors but I find Above the tie Razors give me the best shave I've ever had. They are superb and worth the money.

proxy.php

Top Bottom