What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

I read this article and it seems that Gillette is back on the market with a new safety razor.
Handle made in USA and the head made in Germany.

Its only sold through Amazon:

I clicked on the above link and read about the new Gillette razor on Amazon. It doesn't really interest me because 1) you still can buy the really classic Gillette razors from 1904 through the early 1980s and 2) there are many modern razors available from numerous manufacturers with all sorts of features. What I do like about the re-emergence of Gillette in the safety razor market is that it shows the growing popularity of safety razor shaving in the US.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I 100% agree with you, dumbest move ever. Not only did they produce the handle doomed to fail, they also gave it a lifetime warranty. On a positive note, I love the 6s (actual loved the 6c, just knew it wasn't a forever razor based on its shortcomings of Zamak).

Obviously stainless or brass handles are damn cheap if Maggard's, WCS, etc can get them and sell at a mark-up in the $10 range (not to mention baili, etc being under $10 for a whole razor). That just amplifies the fault in Rockwells choice, imo.

But back on topic ... So we have some level of certainty that the handle on this Gillette isn't Zamak? I'd imagine not. I'd think they'd have to make their own head for it then... One whif of that marketing strategy would send any partner company running. Lol.
:thumbsup:

I think Gillette is dipping their toe into the water on safety razor shaving. It's a limited run, and I am sure they will gauge future products on the response.

That said, I agree with earlier posts that: 1) there are other modern razors of like or superior materials and results, and 2) current manufacturing can't duplicate the Gillette golden era because the price would be prohibitive.

The razor is back in stock on amazon. They added more descriptions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm fairly certain this contains parts they cobbled together from somewhere. The head looks like merkur and the handle is one of those generic ones you get from china or some other existing retailer.

What we really need is something that is designed and made by gillette themselves like the old super speed.

Top Bottom