What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Gents, let’s please keep this thread on track and be civil with one another. We are just talking about a new razor.

B4E61281-0588-429A-B55E-396F3F652D23.jpeg

Gents, let’s please keep this thread on track and be civil with one another. We are just talking about a new razor.

Society has become so soft people can't tolerate hearing the slightest bit of emotion. Emotion is the leading edge of communication, and effective communication is impossible without it. Frankly, I don't see any lack of civility on this thread. I do see some much-appreciated passion.

This isn't just a new razor. It is the possible return of an era with all the nostalgia that goes with it. Or is it Gillette just trying to get some money in a sector they abandoned in around 1971? Now, they are playing the fake shortage game. I'm not buying either the game or the razor.

I'll give Jillette props for coming out with a safety razor. I'm especially surprised it didn't come with a barcode scanner to scan the Jillette $20 blades once put inside the razor.

That's some dumb *** who doesn't know what he's talking about saying partially or "completely" made out of zamak. That's not proof. Zamak head failure is proof the head is zamak. Zamak failure on a handle would be proof of a zamak handle. There is none because handles are brass on zamak razors.
I thought the Rockwell 6c had an all Zamak assembly ... Cap, plate, and handle. Definitely found posts eluding towards this. My old 6c has since left the den, so no way to look. Hmm.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I thought the Rockwell 6c had an all Zamak assembly ... Cap, plate, and handle. Definitely found posts eluding towards this. My old 6c has since left the den, so no way to look. Hmm.
Well, leave it to Rockwell to be the exception to the rule. Exceptions to the rules don't define the rules. In the past all modern DE razors, Muhle, EJ, Merkur, RR, Maggard, Parker (two and three piece) razors have zamak heads and brass, or stainless handles in the case of Maggrd and RR, they all still do. Weishi and Parker TTO's have stamped brass heads. Leave it to Rockwell to produce way over priced Chinese zamak junk. All the more reason to stay away from them. I stand corrected. I've been out of the loop as to which razor companies have sunk to a new lows since discovering Fatips.

Last edited:
Word on the dark web is that Raven has secretly stashed a Rockwell 6C loaded with a Voskhod blade and calls it his "naughty razor." :ihih:

You guys should really be proud of yourselves. I recall a gentleman awhile back who said he was going to contact Gillette about bringing back the safety razor to its collection and encouraged others to do the same. And look where we are. Congratulations gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, leave it to Rockwell to be the exception to the rule. Exceptions to the rules don't define the rules. In the past all modern DE razors, Muhle, EJ, Merkur, RR, Maggard, Parker (two and three piece) razors have zamak heads and brass, or stainless handles in the case of Maggrd and RR, they all still do. Weishi and Parker TTO's have stamped brass heads. Leave it to Rockwell to produce way over priced Chinese zamak junk. All the more reason to stay away from them. I stand corrected. I've been out of the loop as to which razor companies have sunk to a new lows since discovering Fatips.
I 100% agree with you, dumbest move ever. Not only did they produce the handle doomed to fail, they also gave it a lifetime warranty. On a positive note, I love the 6s (actual loved the 6c, just knew it wasn't a forever razor based on its shortcomings of Zamak).

Obviously stainless or brass handles are damn cheap if Maggard's, WCS, etc can get them and sell at a mark-up in the $10 range (not to mention baili, etc being under $10 for a whole razor). That just amplifies the fault in Rockwells choice, imo.

But back on topic ... So we have some level of certainty that the handle on this Gillette isn't Zamak? I'd imagine not. I'd think they'd have to make their own head for it then... One whif of that marketing strategy would send any partner company running. Lol.

I am having a hard time being happy about this razor. Gillette purchases a bunch of Muhle R89 base plates and caps, puts them onto a "retro" chromed handle (original pre-aluminum Gillettes were nickel or gold) and slaps them into a case that says "Gillette".

I see this as a Muhle R89 in a Gillette box, I do not see this as a Gillette razor.

If someone put a Baili TTO razor in a Wolfman box, would the razor be a Wolfman?

Gillette admits they did not in anyway manufacture or designed the razor, they call it:
+ Not a "replica" but "heritage-inspired"

In the future, how could anyone tell if the Gillette box contained the "Heritage Gillette" or if it someone found an empty box and put a Muhle R89 in the box? From the early reports, there is no way anyone could tell, why? Because the razor IS a Muhle R89.

I wish Gillette had just come out and stated they were in a collaboration with Muhle to release a special holiday razor package. This would be perfectly legit and be a nice package at the price they are charging.

Did I order one, yes. Will I keep it, yes, but only because I have a soft spot for the Charlie Brown X-Mas tree type items.

Have a Great One!

I am having a hard time being happy about this razor. Gillette purchases a bunch of Muhle R89 base plates and caps, puts them onto a "retro" chromed handle (original pre-aluminum Gillettes were nickel or gold) and slaps them into a case that says "Gillette".

I see this as a Muhle R89 in a Gillette box, I do not see this as a Gillette razor.

If someone put a Baili TTO razor in a Wolfman box, would the razor be a Wolfman?

Gillette admits they did not in anyway manufacture or designed the razor, they call it:

In the future, how could anyone tell if the Gillette box contained the "Heritage Gillette" or if it someone found an empty box and put a Muhle R89 in the box? From the early reports, there is no way anyone could tell, why? Because the razor IS a Muhle R89.

I wish Gillette had just come out and stated they were in a collaboration with Muhle to release a special holiday razor package. This would be perfectly legit and be a nice package at the price they are charging.

Did I order one, yes. Will I keep it, yes, but only because I have a soft spot for the Charlie Brown X-Mas tree type items.

Have a Great One!
Lol, I agree.

Keep in mind, I think Gillette was smart in choosing what is likely a Muhle R89. EJ or Muhle, it's a respected and loved model. A good safe bet for them.

Top Bottom