What's new

Y Not Make A Journal

This is copied and pasted from the Introduce Yourself thread entitled Lady Gillette Does Not Disappoint by moi. I figure it will make it easy for me to keep track of this journey from the maiden voyage which was yesterday, September 28, 2019.

Full disclosure. I’m a girl. Looking for a way to save some money and stop throwing away so much plastic. I’ve been a wet-shaver since my second shave more than four decades ago (yes, I’m old). My first was done by my mother with her electric razor. Gosh, I hated that thing!

Over the years I have had various versions of cartridge razors, mostly geared towards women, but occasionally men’s, especially when I first started out. My routine has been mostly daily shaving in summer, and once or twice in winter if I’m being diligent. Cartridges did the job as I’m a shower shaver. And I could make a cart last an extremely long time by blotting dry, like I’m talking a year or more. But I recently began shaving every day, and since I am, why not make it an enjoyable experience?

I remember both my grandfathers, my father, and even my mother using DE razors, and one grandfather even had a SR and strop (sadly, it has gone they way of most things that were in my parents’ house). When I was a tiny girl I would “shave” with this grandfather who had a red plastic toy DE razor. He would brush his lather he whipped in his mug on my face and we went through the motions together. I surely miss my Papa. He told the best stories!

Nostalgia grabbed me by the heart! So off to eBay I went and perused all the equipment available. I found a NOS Lady Gillette and bid and won. Unfortunately, the seller thought his wife shipped it and then he was away from email for more than a week, so I waited far longer than I intended to for the little prize. In the meantime, I ordered a sample pack of blades from the ‘zon, and read everything and watched all the YouTube videos and visited a few forums. B&B seems a nice place to stop, so here I am.

I have a lot of real estate to shave on my legs, and a little under the arms. I don’t pretend to need to impress anyone anymore by shaving anywhere else.

I took my new LG for her first spin yesterday. The blade I chose from my sampler (in the order of ones I’ve never heard of before to ones I have. I know; not much logic there) was a Trig. I did all my regular shower ablutions pre-shave. Finally, the moment arrived.

The soap I normally use for bathing is Whispering Willow, rather new-to-me since my favorite soap seller went out of business last year due to health reasons. I can get WW locally, but they ship online, too. It’s a very satisfactory soap with good lather. I have always soap shaved except for a short stint of shampoo or conditioner shaving when I was just experimenting. I always came back to soap. In the early days, it was whatever commercial “soap” was available cheap. These days I appreciate a good, well-crafted soap from a cottage industry.

I lathered in my hands and smoothed it on my legs. Weapon in hand, it had a nice feel. Not too hefty; not too light. Handle length was good. I started slow, on the top of my foot and toes (am I the only person who shaves these?). Short strokes, looking for the right angle. I moved up to the ankle area, being careful of the areas I often nick, flattening muscles and bones as I went. Then the major real estate areas, again short strokes, trying to remember where I had already been and what I had not yet shaved. Short strokes; short memory. Everything was going well. Then the knees, short...well, you’ve read that before...carefully, carefully, flattening, angling. And I was done!

It took only a minute or so longer than a cart shave which I could mindlessly zip through in no time flat. No joy in the experience with a cart, just a job to do and get it over with.

I had a tiny nick on an ankle bone where I often nicked with a cart. My legs were much smoother, and areas that were difficult to get a BBS shave...ever...like right next to my shin bones, were completely hairless! I had no burning or irritation. Even my underarms, which I shaved first being very careful around a skin tag, were completely fine. The nick was stopped by the time I finished drying off and I didn’t even bleed on my pristine white towel.

I removed my blade from the LG and blotted it dry, gave the LG a good dry-off, replaced the blade for round two, and put the LG away outside the shower. My cheapie carts alway lived in the shower. LG is proper equipment, so I want to care for it properly.

The real test for my underarms came with a bourbon-based deodorant. It sometimes stung after shaving with a cart. No sting!

Hubby came in later and asked how things had gone and gave his “Feel of Approval.”

I think the Trig blade is probably not going to be my favorite since there seemed to be a little drag or pulling, but maybe it’s also because I’m still figuring out the correct angle.

All in all a successful and very enjoyable experience for mere pennies in the long run. I may fall down the rabbit-hole of hardware and software acquisition later, but for now I am more than thrilled at my first experience with DE shaving.

Thanks for reading.

Round 2 with the Trig blade went smoothly. No nicks, less drag, and a comfortable shave. I was feeling a bit more confident since I didn’t slice my feet off during the Maiden Voyage, so my chant during this one was “go slow, short strokes, let the razor do the work.” I think I’m figuring out the proper angle.

Same setup as yesterday, with the exception that I washed my hair first.

Blotted the blade dry and returned it to the paper with my notes written on it. Next up is a Treet blade loaded and ready. I figure with two uses of each blade I can revisit them later without them being too far gone.

I welcome all thoughts and suggestions.

Thoughts from the week.

9/30- the Treet was indeed a treat. Not as much drag, though I did have a little irritation under my arms, but I think it was due to heat rash. It has been extraordinarily and unseasonably hot here, and I have suffered for it.
10/1- round 2 on the Treet, I really could have skipped a shave since there was not that much regrowth. Still a lovely, smooth shave. Getting the hang of angles, flattening, and getting a little faster. Not so much trepidation.
One more note about the Treet, and it’s about the inner wrapper. It’s skimpy compared to the Trig. I’ll be curious how others compare.
10/2- Super-Max Platinum. Smooth shave, almost like there was no blade. No drag until I got to my second knee. Another skimpy inner wrapper.
10/3- still a very, very satisfactory shave. So far, the only nick I’ve had is on day one and it’s where I often nicked myself with a cart.
Next up is Super-Max Stainless Steel Blue Plus.

Nice work making notes on the various sample blades. I usually stick with Astra SP or Voskhod. But I do have 100 Wizamet on the way.

Welcome to the journals!

Nice work making notes on the various sample blades. I usually stick with Astra SP or Voskhod. But I do have 100 Wizamet on the way.

Welcome to the journals!
Thanks for the welcome. I’m really not finding much difference from blade-to-blade yet, but maybe as I progress I will. Shaving is much different for a woman than a man, so maybe it’s just the nature of the beast.

Notes from the week.

Somehow my dates have gotten mixed up, which is no surprise since it’s usually before coffee when I write these notes.
10/7- Super Max Stainless Steel Blue Plus (who comes up with the names of these things?) it felt like I had nicked myself around the ankles and knees, but I saw no evidence of it if I did.
10/8- ditto yesterday. Another skimpy inner wrapper.
10/9- Zorrik Super Platinum, felt like there was no blade at all and I did not get a close shave.
10/10- still felt like no blade but a better shave, still not the best though. Skimpy inner wrapper again.
10/11- BlueBird- Wow! What a smooth feeling blade. It was a very nice shave both under arms and legs.
10/12- Still very impressed with this blade. No skimpy inner wrapper because there simply is no inner wrapper, only the outer. I’ll have to be careful loading it with one eye open in the mornings.

Some other thoughts.

DE shaving is so much more efficient for me because I have hand/grip issues due to pinched nerves. Rather than having to spin the razor as I move to various positions I can just switch to the other side. I find that switching hands is much easier, too. My confidence level continues to rise as I only have to make a single ATG pass for a completely smooth shave. I never have to go over the same area more than the once like I did with a cart, and still never got a completely smooth shave even after multiple passes in places where I have whorls or dips, like the area just inside my shin bones. Just one pass with the LG and a good blade and I’m good to go.

Next up: Derby

10/14 & 15 (I skipped a day) Derby was another wower. I couldn’t take notes on the wrapper because of it being wax paper, but it was a wonderful shave.
10/16 & 17 Feather- I understand why so many folks like this blade. Such a fine shave. No notes again, but I was completely impressed.
10/19 Bic- Ugh! Should be named Nick. I had a pretty good one on my shin bone that bled for some time. Even with a cart, my shin bones were never a place I nicked. Boo. Hiss. I didn’t even give it the benefit of a second shave.
10/20 skipped a day again
10/21 My first Gillette blade, a Super Platinum that also says Goal and Baru and in tiny little print Dijamin Keasliannya. I have no earthly idea what this all means, but it gave a very satisfactory shave.
10/22 same as yesterday.

Aaaaannnd somehow, I have, once again mixed up days, so who knows if these are actually the days these shaves happened. But at least I am documenting how they went with the correct blades.

Up next: Gillette Nacet

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Very smart doing two shaves with each blade before moving on. You are well on your way to dialing in your perfect set up. I agree with your sentiment on Feathers, they are my typical DE blade. I have toyed with the idea of getting another sampler just for the fun and trying some different blades again. It's been a while since I branched out on them. I also have some Astra and Derby blades that I need to run through.

Interesting read. I'm on the edge of my seat for your conclusions!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very smart doing two shaves with each blade before moving on. You are well on your way to dialing in your perfect set up. I agree with your sentiment on Feathers, they are my typical DE blade. I have toyed with the idea of getting another sampler just for the fun and trying some different blades again. It's been a while since I branched out on them. I also have some Astra and Derby blades that I need to run through.

Interesting read. I'm on the edge of my seat for your conclusions!

Oh, I didn’t even realize anyone was following along. Thanks for reading. I’ll see if I can add more suspense and make it a real nail-biter.:c9:

I’m not sure I have an Astra blade in my sampler, and I’m too lazy to get up and go look because this cup of coffee is so exquisite. But both the Derby and Feather are favorites so far, and I liked the Blue Bird as well.

I guess the cliff hanger for now is which blade will become my go-to? Only time will tell. I plan to use each one until spent, so longevity may be the deciding factor.

Stay tuned!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Oh, I didn’t even realize anyone was following along. Thanks for reading. I’ll see if I can add more suspense and make it a real nail-biter.:c9:

I’m not sure I have an Astra blade in my sampler, and I’m too lazy to get up and go look because this cup of coffee is so exquisite. But both the Derby and Feather are favorites so far, and I liked the Blue Bird as well.

I guess the cliff hanger for now is which blade will become my go-to? Only time will tell. I plan to use each one until spent, so longevity may be the deciding factor.

Stay tuned!
Well if you are interested in trying some Astras I'd be happy to PIF a tuck or two. I'll check back in periodically, I like reading other people's conclusions when it comes to their shaves. We are all so different and everyone has their own preferences. I've recently been questioning my preferences...I dug into some old razors I had previously written off as not my cup of tea only to find it was my technique at issue and not the hardware. That's what I love about this hobby. If you aren't learning something every shave then you're selling the experience short!

Well if you are interested in trying some Astras I'd be happy to PIF a tuck or two. I'll check back in periodically, I like reading other people's conclusions when it comes to their shaves. We are all so different and everyone has their own preferences. I've recently been questioning my preferences...I dug into some old razors I had previously written off as not my cup of tea only to find it was my technique at issue and not the hardware. That's what I love about this hobby. If you aren't learning something every shave then you're selling the experience short!

Thanks for the offer of Astras. When I get through the sampler and am nearing the end of life for them I may check back with you on that.

This week’s musings, unknown dates, just notes:

Gillette Nacet- First day I nicked myself pretty good while reaching down on my Achilles’ tendon. My hand slipped and I could see it coming but was powerless to stop it. Stupid hand. It had pretty much stopped bleeding by the end of my shower, and just a quick downward swipe with my fingertip sealed it off enough to keep me from bleeding on my pretty white towel. Day two was interesting and a bit different. I have a regular routine to keep me from forgetting what I am doing as I get ready for work each day before I’ve had coffee (nectar of the gods). After my left leg, which is always first, everything was going along smoothly (pun intended). Things were quite different for my right leg. It was almost as though I had not shaved at all. I don’t think Nacet is going to be a daily driver since it doesn’t seem to have enough longevity to keep it in the rotation.
Gillette 7 o’clock- Another fine shave. Could be a favorite along with Blue Bird, Feather, and Derby. Time will tell. Day two was just as good.

Next up: Gillette Platinum

Top Bottom