What's new

Polishing chemicals... will they work on eyeglass frames ?

Just wondering if the pastes etc. you guys use to polish scales ( or even acrylic brush handles ) will work on eyeglass acrylic frames that have become dull and " cloudy ".. Anyone tried it ?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I never thought to polish frames. It never occurred to me that I should. I have polished lenses. The "experts", mostly owners, operators, or employess of businesses that sell eyeglasses, who have a very large vested interest in me not doing so, of course strongly recommend against it, saying that I will cause myself to go blind if I try to look through lenses I have polished. But yes, it should work nicely on frames. Just don't tell the girl at Eyemasters that you engage in such evil practices.

I never thought to polish frames. It never occurred to me that I should. I have polished lenses. The "experts", mostly owners, operators, or employess of businesses that sell eyeglasses, who have a very large vested interest in me not doing so, of course strongly recommend against it, saying that I will cause myself to go blind if I try to look through lenses I have polished. But yes, it should work nicely on frames. Just don't tell the girl at Eyemasters that you engage in such evil practices.
any recommendations ??... this stuff is really cheap, but I have no experience with it:
crl.JPG

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not a clue. I use diamond paste for everything from razors to car headlights. If that's all you have, may as well give it a try! Most glasses wearers have at least a couple of old pairs ratholed somewhere.

For polishing plastics I use Meguiars PlastX, I have used it on restoring the plastics on fountain pens for many years.

For polishing metals some care needs to be taken depending on the surface. Most metal polishes are quite abrasive, the most common one is Simichrome which is a paste that works well on aluminum alloys to resore a shine surface but I have seen chromium plate worn thin from its use and gold plating worn out completely.

An alternative to abrasive chemicals may be to use a polishing block as used to polish nails. These oblong blocks are foam filled and have four degrees of abrasion. They are also inexpensive.

61z-GN9-roL._SY355_.jpg

Top Bottom