What's new

Navy shaving changes

It was a different branch of service, but have heard of Magic Shave (tm), a depilatory powder, being allowed for such situations.

Laser-hair reduction? Most men with serious PFB are African-American. Lasers are generally a no-no on black skin.

I have had laser (I'm Fitzpatrick type II skin, German or Scandinavian, slightly olive). Results are prone to being uneven and it isn't necessarily permanent. Plus it will pretty much ruin your chances of ever having a nice beard. And a beard is the easiest long term treatment for PFB.

If you have to shave with this type of hair growth, a single blade is definitely better, as it won't cut below the skin. I've seen plenty of youtube videos of black men using traditional razors and their skin is without blemishes.

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'm in the Coast Guard. Our service allowed facial hair until the 80's and the leadership is currently considering the possibility of allowing it again. I'm not certain where they are in the process, but our Command Master Chief shared that they are at least considering it...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Learned that military law doesn't allow the use of non cartridge razors in BASIC. Once out of basic you can use de, se, straights, electric, a sharpened clam shell if so desired.

The reason was that they felt having double edge blades would let recruits even out old scores between say ethnic gangs from the same city by slicing throats at night.

when I was in basic I got to play sentry on a guy who had gone completely psychotic because he got up one morning in his barracks, and woke his buddy in the next bunk up to find someone had shoved a bayonet through him during the night. this was 2008

That rule has been in place since at least the 80s, if not the 70s.

wet shaving as we know it has been so niche, since at least the 80s.... that it simply isn’t a consideration for anyone.

and there’s likely not nearly enough time in the mornings in any US branch’s initial entry programs to get a good shave.

I went through a leadership course where we were required to remain in bed (no early get ups) until first call, and all 50 of us on the floor using 4 sinks, 4 toilets, 4 showers; had to have beds made, rooms sorted, shaved, teeth brushed, dressed for PT, and outside in formation within 7 minutes. They compressed all our timelines to create stress, and it did stress some of the students. There’s simply not enough time in these types of courses for a relaxing wet shave. Or a decent one.

but I think the percentage of shavers on this board affected by these decisions and considerations are quite small.

That rule has been in place since at least the 80s, if not the 70s.

wet shaving as we know it has been so niche, since at least the 80s.... that it simply isn’t a consideration for anyone.

and there’s likely not nearly enough time in the mornings in any US branch’s initial entry programs to get a good shave.

I went through a leadership course where we were required to remain in bed (no early get ups) until first call, and all 50 of us on the floor using 4 sinks, 4 toilets, 4 showers; had to have beds made, rooms sorted, shaved, teeth brushed, dressed for PT, and outside in formation within 7 minutes. They compressed all our timelines to create stress, and it did stress some of the students. There’s simply not enough time in these types of courses for a relaxing wet shave. Or a decent one.

but I think the percentage of shavers on this board affected by these decisions and considerations are quite small.
I amazed some of the teeny boppers in my basic cycle, I had to shave 4 times a day with one of those cartridge razors. And it still looked like I hadn't shaved after the 4th time for evening roll call

Cartridges will still be issued at boot camp. What that instruction (NAVADMIN, as the official message is called) states is an indefinite "no shave chit" will no longer be issued. This means those with PFB are only allowed to not shave for a duration (I believe 6 months). After that initial period, they must begin shaving, get laser treatment, or be subjected to administrative dismissal from the naval service.

Well all I can say isn’t that in basic trading at Ft. Dix NJ in 1969, we had to supply our own razors, they had to be Gillette, so by definition they were double-edged, and we had to shave daily. No one had any problems.

is there a way I can save this thread? because I'll be shipping out for basic in a couple months and I'd like to keep you all updated as far as shaving goes

is there a way I can save this thread? because I'll be shipping out for basic in a couple months and I'd like to keep you all updated as far as shaving goes
youll be made to buy what ever multi blade cartridge is the PX when your inprocessing platoon goes to the PX on "personal hygiene item day". And that's what youll be using till you get to a school.

pseudofolliculitis barbae (copied and paste from that article) is in-grown hairs. Why do they have to come up with some fancy name no one could pronounce?

So, I read the pamphlet they attached to the article.

Isn't it easier and CHEAPER to just issue DE razors and blades to sailors in addition to other equipment like high quality shaving creams, alum block etc?

That medical process sounds painful and expensive.

So, I read the pamphlet they attached to the article.

Isn't it easier and CHEAPER to just issue DE razors and blades to sailors in addition to other equipment like high quality shaving creams, alum block etc?

That medical process sounds painful and expensive.

They have a cartridge system for black men already called Bump Fighter. It is similar to the guard system on Feather's Artist Club razors. It won't produce a very close shave, about on par with an older Braun electric shaver (I actually have one, it makes a good Trac II handle).

But my guess is that black sailors are expected to use multi-blade cartridges? No wonder they have so many skin problems.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think that you may be informed of any new posts in this thread because you replied here.

Thanks for your service to me and mine, Dave

yea I guess I won't be wetshaving till I'm in A school although I do fear that they will think otherwise if they see the de blades even though there gonna be in the wrappers and boxes during inspections but idk I'm already anxious about that

Top Bottom