What's new

Bootleggers Bay Rum review

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
When I created the Perfecto’s Vito’s Colonia Tobacco was widely available in n the U.S. when it suddenly couldn’t be found, I ordered a lifetime supply from Slovenia in Europe. While the shipping was expensive for 10 bottles of the stuff, I chose to look at it like, “pay once hurt once”.

I enjoy them enough to make sure I always have it. 😊

I sent a query to italianbarber
When I created the Perfecto’s Vito’s Colonia Tobacco was widely available in n the U.S. when it suddenly couldn’t be found, I ordered a lifetime supply from Slovenia in Europe. While the shipping was expensive for 10 bottles of the stuff, I chose to look at it like, “pay once hurt once”.

I enjoy them enough to make sure I always have it. 😊

I just bought something on a whim in the hopes that it can be a substitute for the Vitos Colonia Tabacco...it's called Crusellas Tobacco 1800. It was dirt cheap, less than $20 for 33 ounces. Scent profile sounded similar. Will see what the Vitos Aftershave Splash is like and compare it with the tobacco flower scent of this product.

If anyone has any experience with Crusellas, please post.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I just bought something on a whim in the hopes that it can be a substitute for the Vitos Colonia Tabacco...it's called Crusellas Tobacco 1800. It was dirt cheap, less than $20 for 33 ounces. Scent profile sounded similar. Will see what the Vitos Aftershave Splash is like and compare it with the tobacco flower scent of this product.

There was a suggestion of the Crusellas awhile back when I was experimenting with looking for a replacement ingredient for the Bootlegger's Perfecto. Vito's Tobacco, is an orange citrus with raw green tobacco notes. Crusellas, is a patchouli or musk with a burnt cigarette tobacco note in my opinion. I have the Crusellas and it is not a viable mix in my opinion for the official Bootlegger's Perfecto mix, but I would never oppose someone doing it if they liked it.

Just can't be called Bootlegger's Perfecto. Some people take their mixing more seriously and spend much time and effort in creating their mixes, others not so much. People can easily judge if I do or not with my Bootlegger's creations, simply by trying them. :)

The Bootlegger's Perfecto's may have to go the way of the dodo, if a suitable replacement for the tobacco and citrus note can't be found. Those who love it as much as I do, acquired enough to last them when it first became harder to find. It's probably why, It's always out of stock at TVB Shaving. I think at one time, most of the U.S suppliers quit carrying it because they couldn't sell it; and then Bootlegger's Perfecto was created and the demand on it suddenly increased.

Superior 70 was hardly known by most here, until I introduced it years ago with the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum. Now, it is very popular forum wide and it's price increase from $1.60 a bottle to $9-$10 in many places and from when I started, only finding it at Walgreens in the ethnic section, to many online vendors selling it now, reflects that increase in popularity.

Oh snap! you're right, that isn't it! Sorry dude. Lots of hours at work makes for a sleepy boy. The last time I knew, Vito's Colonia tobacco was VERY hard to find. The only supplier was TVB Shaving out of Slovenia. However, Their website doesn't come up anymore as of late, like they dropped off the map.

I don't know if anyone else knows anything about them? I have just completed a move to a new house and everything has been out of sorts. I actually just unpacked and organized my over 250 different aftershaves today.

I have several other members who have been patiently waiting on me to finish unpacking that I need to get samples off to this weekend. I'll never attempt a move while trying to still work ever again. :) If you send me your mailing address, I will send you a healthy sample of the Perfecto's. I would enjoy hearing what you think of the Perfecto's while I concentrate on coming up with a replacement of the Vito's Tobacco for my Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia and Perfecto Maduro.

I’m glad you got everything sorted . Excited to try the recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCarr

There was a suggestion of the Crusellas awhile back when I was experimenting with looking for a replacement ingredient for the Bootlegger's Perfecto. Vito's Tobacco, is an orange citrus with raw green tobacco notes. Crusellas, is a patchouli or musk with a burnt cigarette tobacco note in my opinion. I have the Crusellas and it is not a viable mix in my opinion for the official Bootlegger's Perfecto mix, but I would never oppose someone doing it if they liked it.

Just can't be called Bootlegger's Perfecto. Some people take their mixing more seriously and spend much time and effort in creating their mixes, others not so much. People can easily judge if I do or not with my Bootlegger's creations, simply by trying them. :)

The Bootlegger's Perfecto's may have to go the way of the dodo, if a suitable replacement for the tobacco and citrus note can't be found. Those who love it as much as I do, acquired enough to last them when it first became harder to find. It's probably why, It's always out of stock at TVB Shaving. I think at one time, most of the U.S suppliers quit carrying it because they couldn't sell it; and then Bootlegger's Perfecto was created and the demand on it suddenly increased.

Superior 70 was hardly known by most here, until I introduced it years ago with the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum. Now, it is very popular forum wide and it's price increase from $1.60 a bottle to $9-$10 in many places and from when I started, only finding it at Walgreens in the ethnic section, to many online vendors selling it now, reflects that increase in popularity.

I may give the Vitos Aftershave Splash a try and see how that works.

JCarr

The Bootlegger's Perfecto's may have to go the way of the dodo, if a suitable replacement for the tobacco and citrus note can't be found.

Have you ever tried Pinaud Whiskey Woods? It's been described as a spicy tobacco and citrus scent. It's inexpensive in any case so it fits that bill well.

I have a bottle of it and use it on occasion. I like it.

OkieStubble

Have you ever tried Pinaud Whiskey Woods? It's been described as a spicy tobacco and citrus scent. It's inexpensive in any case so it fits that bill well.

I haven't tried it yet, but I need to.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Ordered some Whiskey Woods last week. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I use the Crusellas Vetiver 1800 Cologne on occasion and like it very much.

JCarr

Well...I didn't get the Crusellas today, but I did get the Vitos Aftershave Splash from Italian Barbershop. It's a mild scent, orange, kinda barbershop'ish. It dries down to a powdery sweet scent...again...not overpowering by any means. When it first goes on, it reminds me of the smell of Smarties Candy, except much less sharp. The orange scent has a little zing/zest at first, but that settles down when it dries and becomes a bit more floral and powdery. My wife liked it very much.

JCarr

So Crusellas Tobacco came today. Uhmmm...it's different. It has a tang to it...a little zest on the initial sniff. Has some sweetness, but not overbearing. Keep in mind I'm smelling it out of the bottle. If I smell it long enough I don't want to smell it anymore. Going to hang on to it for awhile...see if I can find a use for it.

Staying positive on it. If I threw some Vitos Aftershave Splash in some of it, it would take on a citrus that it doesn't have. Waiting for Cuba Orange.

I mixed up a batch of Bootleggers Original ten days ago and splashed some on this past weekend. Great scent that lasted almost three hours. Thanks OkieStubble!

Has anyone added a bit more of VIBR to keep a heavy clove tone? I am about to order the main ingredients and give it a try. I do enjoy the heavy clove bay rums.

Has anyone added a bit more of VIBR to keep a heavy clove tone? I am about to order the main ingredients and give it a try. I do enjoy the heavy clove bay rums.
This is what I did when I made my mix; not a huge departure from the original recipe mind you, just a little bit. Keeps it a bit more heavy on the clove/spice side. It’s great!

OkieStubble

This is what I did when I made my mix; not a huge departure from the original recipe mind you, just a little bit. Keeps it a bit more heavy on the clove/spice side. It’s great!

GearNoir, perfect. Will order and off to my "lab", lol!!!

I'm surprised when I read many posts of those who seem unfavorable to clove and or spice in their Bay Rums. Bay Rum is such a fleeting scent, I also, am one who appreciates the lingering of clove and spices after the Bay Rum is long gone.

Top Bottom