What's new

Gentlemanly restraint from BBS

Ok, so after I played 18 holes of golf, I showered and shaved. Used Soapy Science Doc's Special Blend lather with a synthetic brush.

First pass WTG with the Feather SS loaded up with a Schick Proline blade. Smooth and comfortable.

On rinsing, I found areas in the neck and jawline that needed work, so I did a second XTG pass there and on the chin.

There was one place on my right cheek that needed touch-up; I thought about skipping it, but decided to just give it a very light touch up.

After that I stopped. I was CCS most places, DFS on the cheeks. No burn with an alcohol-based aftershave, so I think I kept to the spirit of the restraint.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do not try for a BBS and if I receive one it is usually at the cost of a little bit of skin removed and alum will let you know how good a BBS it was.
My sweet spot for a shave CCS,DFS,BBS range + Alum usually indicating minor irritation with no weepers or nicks and I'm one happy person for the day. I only do a 2 pass shave WTG & ATG with a touch up pass below the jaw line and just be content for the day.
There are days I pull out the cotton ball to verify if it's a BBs but that is seldom.
A perfect shave to me is one that feels great with no weepers and is a smooth feel and alum block indicates minimal irritation. That is what you always want IMO for healthy shaving.

I like this idea. I am still new enough to traditional shaving methods that I get better shaves if I focus on technique. When I chase BBS I end up doing something wrong and get irritation or weepers. I am 100% willing to admit that in the long run getting the best shave possible (BBS) is a great goal to aim for, however, I am not currently capable of comfortably pulling it off all the time. I also find that I get better shaves when I stop chasing BBS and start enjoying the moment.

To celebrate my restraint and kick it off in style, I am going to not shave at all today to allow my slightly irritated neck get a rest (tried to get BBS last week and haven't let it recover.) Thanks for formalizing something that I have been focusing on for a little bit now.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Another two-pass-no-touch-up shave!!! This one was more CCS than DFS, sort of in this range: CCS-DFS. I knew it when I put the razor down, but didn't care. And I will say that 30 minutes after the shave, I feel like it's a touch closer than my original estimate....which is what usually happens. I look clean shaven, and my face feels better without the touch-up, so I'm going to really try and perfect the 2-pass-no-touch-up for the remainder of this "restraint". The touch-up pass for me is too often a slippery-slope into a full-on 3rd pass; and when I started it was full 3-pass and a touch-up.....improved technique I think is getting me to where I can get a faster and more comfortable shave.

Today's razor was a Ziglar's Slant OC -- a fairly mild shaver -- and a well-used Dorco Prime; both of which help explain why 2-passes today was closer to CCS than DFS as compared to the last 2-pass-no-touchup which was a full on DFS.
Also want to give the LEA stick a shout-out, it was my first use of it and just like the cream, I am a fan. I like the scent and it lathered quickly and easily. I hope you'll forgive the water spots -- the shave finished so quickly I didn't have to time dry the razor before the pic. :001_tongu
proxy.php

Last edited:
I like this idea. I am still new enough to traditional shaving methods that I get better shaves if I focus on technique. When I chase BBS I end up doing something wrong and get irritation or weepers. I am 100% willing to admit that in the long run getting the best shave possible (BBS) is a great goal to aim for, however, I am not currently capable of comfortably pulling it off all the time. I also find that I get better shaves when I stop chasing BBS and start enjoying the moment.

To celebrate my restraint and kick it off in style, I am going to not shave at all today to allow my slightly irritated neck get a rest (tried to get BBS last week and haven't let it recover.) Thanks for formalizing something that I have been focusing on for a little bit now.

I totally hear you. Would I like to be able to pull off a BBS every time? Yes. Am I able to yet? No. Will I ever be able to? Not sure. Hence the restraint, the focus on technique, and the pleasure of a comfortable shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today’s shave was indeed a three-pass shave but no ATG along the pain points which for me is lower neck and jaw line. Did do some skin stretching on the neck to get a close shave but no ATG. And no red bumps [emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's, "welcome back" shave was a two-pass shave with no touch-up. I decided to limit myself to two-passes this week and to see which direction(s) work out best for me. This is pretty good. Cheeks are awesome, neck is mostly solid, below the jawline under my ears and right under my chin could use some work, but overall not bad. Next shave is going to be a N-->S pass followed by an ear-->nose pass.

Had one weeper, but that is because I was silly while shaving the base of my neck. Overall a good shave.

Well, today I got a little carried away. Been feeling confident with the comfortable no-ATG shaves on my lower neck and my jawline lately so like a true addict, I thought I had recovered and figured maybe I'll just do a "little"ATG. I slipped back into the hunt and I sort of paid for it with a few weepers. I think I managed to avoid any in-growns on my lower neck though. Must. Show. Restraint.

I honestly do admire the gents that are able to pull of the BBS. My technique just isn't there and this exercise in restraint is meant to just give myself a break. So I'm back on the wagon tomorrow!

Comfortable shaves to you all!

Still in.

Yesterday morning's shave left a bit of palpable stubble on the low right neck, but I just left it there, finished rinsing, and applied the aftershave.

The world didn't explode. Nobody even noticed it. And I'm sure my skin was better off for not chasing that tiny patch right next to the Adam's apple.

Flintstone65

Shave 3 under restraint, and I may never pursue BBS again. 2-passes and no-touchup, even though my jawline could have definitely used a touch-up. I'm sticking firm to accepting a CCS in certain areas, and still getting a DFS everywhere else. My shave today was a 1901 NEW GEM lather catcher with a GEM SS PTFE on it's lucky 13th shave. This razor is missing a blade swing (think of the bar on the GEM Jr Bar), but the excellent blade stops and back blade clip meant that I could use the modern Gem blade without any issue at all. Here's the pic:
proxy.php

I have been so restrained that I missed a couple shaves. The TSA rules helped my resolve, separating me from my usual supply of sharp edges.

This is evening I was reunited with the collection. Easy two pass shavette + OC, lots of warm lather. A relaxing vibe after a day of air and light rail travel.

Between abandoning touch up/buffing and skipping two days my face is feeling great and looking quite clean shaven.

Flintstone65

Today's razor took me by surprise and almost ended in a BBS. 2-passes and no touch-up with a new-to-me razor, Canadian Gillette Goodwill #162 and a Feather blade. The MWF soap lathered great, but I treated the Canadian #162 like my American #160, which was a mistake....the #162 is definitely more efficient, and it didn't appreciate being treated like a "mild child". So I needed some alum for a neck weeper that wouldn't just rinse away, and I ended up running the block around my entire face and neck....I got almost nothing for feedback, so I guess it's was just that pesky neck area causing me a problem. The end result was a shave that was definitely DFS+ (borderline BBS, but with no touch-up, I was able to maintain my restraint).
proxy.php

I also want to thank the artisan who produced my inkwell-razor stand (he knows who he is)....first time I've ever used one, I don't know how I've lived without one for so long -- functional and beautiful!

My 2 pass shave with an XTG pass from ear to nose on the second pass was significantly less pleasant than my 2 pass shave with an ATG pass from south-north. This tells me that either 1) I was more focused the first time 2) My skin likes something about that direction or 3) I mapped my growth wrong and N-S is less ATG than ear-nose. No weepers but a little more irritation on the right side of my neck.

Upon checking the shave, I was in no danger of obtaining a BBS shave.

Yesterday morning I had another nice two-pass shave with the Feather SS, a tiny bit of touch-up on the jawline. No irritation. CCS+.
I started to chase a very close shave on the chin but remembering this restraint I left well enough alone after the two passes.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD -Took out my Gillette rack of razors and eyed a recent addition to the shave den and have received some nice shaves with my 1959 Fatboy.

Razor: Gillette Fatboy E4 -MFG 1959 4th qtr
Blade: Gillette 7 Oclock Super platinum Black(3)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Brush: Yaki tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave: brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap
Post shave: Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation+ no weepers = :biggrin1: Could of used a new blade to improve the shave but a DFS is still good enough for the day.

Oct 23 -2019  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

SOTD -Took out my Gillette rack of razors and eyed a recent addition to the shave den and have received some nice shaves with my 1959 Fatboy.

Razor: Gillette Fatboy E4 -MFG 1959 4th qtr
Blade: Gillette 7 Oclock Super platinum Black(3)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Brush: Yaki tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave: brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap
Post shave: Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation+ no weepers = :biggrin1: Could of used a new blade to improve the shave but a DFS is still good enough for the day.

Oct 23 -2019  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
Ron -- what number do you usually set your FB on? And are you a "set it and forget it" guy, or do you move the setting up and/or down during the shave?

Top Bottom