What's new

Quick Alum Block Guide

Quick guide for those new to using an alum block.

Step 1: wet face with cold water

Step 2: run block under the tap

Step 3: rub block on shaved areas (re-wet block as needed)

Step 4: let the alum stay on your face for a minute or two

Step 5: wash face thoroughly with cold water

Step 6: Apply aftershave

Step 7: MOISTURIZE!!! Many people do not do this after using alum, it is IMPERATIVE to do so(I use cvs brand facial moisturizer, it burns on dry skin but works)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
there was a post some time ago and I forgot who set me straight when talking about dropping the slippery alum block. the advice was great and I forgot to circle back and thank him and I now forgot where the thread was but I will share his advice....
which was basically skip step 2. Once I eliminated that step i found that block is somewhat less slippery and easier to hold on to.
I do not use moisturizer as indicate din your step 7. I have mostly top quality aftershaves that fit the bill imo.

I agree with Rhody. I don't run the block under the tap to get it wet. After I've rinsed my face for the final time I leave it wet and the amount of water remaining on my face is plenty to allow the alum block to glide nicely all over my face and provide an even and thorough application. And after I've rinsed off the alum with cold water, I then dry my face and apply witch hazel to my face, leaving the witch hazel on to air dry. Once dry I apply an aftershave. If it's winter and my face feels dry, I'll put on a balm before the aftershave. That works for me.

I occasionally use witchhazel as well. It helps keep my irritated pores from being blotchy and red.

Yes. I find that while both alum and witch hazel are astringents, I find they do different things to my face. The alum tends to tighten and stops weepers really well while witch hazel seems to have a more rejuvenating feeling. Hard to describe. One thing is certain, the alum is a far better astringent as it will stop weepers whereas I find witch hazel will do nothing for weepers. That's been my experience.

Step 0: put a nice fat rubber band on your alum block. The fat ones found on produce (asparagus, etc.) are perfect.
E662BE12-113D-4891-A675-F7C06C4E3A4C.jpeg

My dad always used alum when I was a kid. Now I’m living in Ireland and there is not one Pharmacy who sells alum, even in the barbershops they don’t even know what it is ...

YMMV. I only rarely use alum. Mostly, it's far too harsh an astringent. I reserve it for scrapes and nicks.

Definitely wash it off after you use it, you don't want to leave it on your skin.

My dad always used alum when I was a kid. Now I’m living in Ireland and there is not one Pharmacy who sells alum, even in the barbershops they don’t even know what it is ...

Probably because alum is straight out of the 18th century and would cause the average dermatologist to have kittens.

Last edited:
Yes. I find that while both alum and witch hazel are astringents, I find they do different things to my face. The alum tends to tighten and stops weepers really well while witch hazel seems to have a more rejuvenating feeling. Hard to describe. One thing is certain, the alum is a far better astringent as it will stop weepers whereas I find witch hazel will do nothing for weepers. That's been my experience.

Agreed. They serve different purposes in my post-shave routine.

@OP Yup, this is how I use it.
Another use that hasn't been mentioned yet (because everone knows this?) is to run your fingertips over wet alum in order to make them non-slippery (when stretching skin).

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Top Bottom