What's new

1957 Tech issue

I just received 1957 C1 Gillette Tech from the seller on Ebay and as soon as I removed it from the box I found 2 issues. The handle was screwed in so tightly that I had to use a tool to unscrew it and found out that the thread on the top cap is not in the condition shown on the seller picture. I contacted the seller and he immediately issued refund but has no idea why it is the case but said that the pictures were taken back in May. I'm attaching a picture to show how the thread looks and want to know what should I do because I am worried that it will break eventually
I will try it tonight to find how it is compare to Canadian Tech
IMG_20191021_120431.jpg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Try to clean it up first before you put it back together. SOS pad maybe or a tooth brush.

R

romsitsa

Sorry to say, but there is not much you can do except for swapping the cap. It’s zamak and the lower portion of the thread is worn away.
It could be possible that it was screwed together while still wet.

Adam

There is too much thread loss to get a secure lock to the handle. No point in putting any effort into any restoration.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would still use until the inevitable happens. May as well use it and get some use out of it and then you will have a baseplate and a handle as spare parts.

Sorry to say, but there is not much you can do except for swapping the cap. It’s zamak and the lower portion of the thread is worn away.
It could be possible that it was screwed together while still wet.

Adam
This exactly what I thought
I have prewar NDC tech so I used the top cap from it
There is too much thread loss to get a secure lock to the handle. No point in putting any effort into any restoration.
Completely agree
I found my Prewar NDC Tech and top cap from it without problems. But what I also found out that the Pre-war baseplate looks the same as the 1957 except that prewar is thinner and much lighter since it made from different material

I thought most all techs from that time period were brass? I have a couple from that time period that definitely are. But that piece appears to be zamak?

I would still use until the inevitable happens. May as well use it and get some use out of it and then you will have a baseplate and a handle as spare parts.
+1 I agree with this statement. Use it until the razor is done. Glad it worked out for you and you got a refund.

Top Bottom