What's new

What shaving soap will still be around a hundred years from now?

Are you surprised that people who do traditional wet shaving get pissy about manufacturers and sellers trying to be trendy and appease nonbuyers?

I'm not massively enthusiastic about the reformulation of Vitos Red & Green. I have a suspicion Cella might be next. As they are croaps, there seem to be a few reports of them going off in the long run so they aren't ones that can be 'hoarded' like some others.

If the German shave sticks (Tabac, Wilk Sword, Palmolive, Speick) are reformulated, I may as well just grow a beard and live in the forest.

Mitchells Wool Fat

In 100 years time if you dont want your beard to grow you will just get your DNA modified. Or get it modified to grow much faster so you have to shave 4 times a day. So you can get through all the soap your grandfather on B&B amassed.

I'm not massively enthusiastic about the reformulation of Vitos Red & Green. I have a suspicion Cella might be next. As they are croaps, there seem to be a few reports of them going off in the long run so they aren't ones that can be 'hoarded' like some others.

If the German shave sticks (Tabac, Wilk Sword, Palmolive, Speick) are reformulated, I may as well just grow a beard and live in the forest.

I personally don't care if soap is tallow, palm, coconut based or a detergent. I evaluate the performance with my skin and value for my budget. What annoys me is ideology and political tribalism permeating in every pore of our lives, even freaking shaving.

I personally don't care if soap is tallow, palm, coconut based or a detergent. I evaluate the performance with my skin and value for my budget. What annoys me is ideology and political tribalism permeating in every pore of our lives, even freaking shaving.

Agree entirely.

Weird thought: It's entirely possible that shaving soaps and brushes will once again become the norm. Was surprised to find vinyl records on sale again, along with turntables, and they may pass CD sales this year (didn't see a comparison to streaming and MP3). Ten years ago, it looked like vinyl would be completely gone by now.

So who knows? If vinyl can come back, why not brush and soap?

Weird thought: It's entirely possible that shaving soaps and brushes will once again become the norm. Was surprised to find vinyl records on sale again, along with turntables, and they may pass CD sales this year (didn't see a comparison to streaming and MP3). Ten years ago, it looked like vinyl would be completely gone by now.

So who knows? If vinyl can come back, why not brush and soap?

I've got to say, as I'm suspiciously looking down on the steadily spinning 12" record on my turntable, I kind of like this idea. I don't exactly know why I like it so much, I just do. I guess it's meant to be ;)
But yeah, this is entirely possible, and judging by the growing trend of work-life balance, where people try to go back to basics and focus on what they do, maybe even slightly possible....

-Daniel

I think that the crappier mass produced soaps like Arko, Proraso will still be around but the superior artisans will not. It's like comparing McDonalds to fine restaurants. McDonalds and their mass produced garbage will survive and thrive while fine food restaurants come and go.

I've got to say, as I'm suspiciously looking down on the steadily spinning 12" record on my turntable, I kind of like this idea. I don't exactly know why I like it so much, I just do. I guess it's meant to be ;)
But yeah, this is entirely possible, and judging by the growing trend of work-life balance, where people try to go back to basics and focus on what they do, maybe even slightly possible....

-Daniel

Fits the theme of reducing waste and recycling too, I'd think! Though many artisan soaps are sold in plastic tubs, many soaps also come loose for use in a mug or bowl. But unlike a can of goop, a good plastic tub at least has the possibility of being reused instead of just thrown away or recycled. A good DE can last for life as can a quality brush, or at least for many years of service. And even if recycling of used blades is more limited than other materials (due to sharps/biohazard) it's still minimal packaging and plastic use compared to modern disposable blades. Some recycling plants do have sharps collection programs though.

Fun thought experiment. Think I'd bet on Arko and Godrej before anything produced in Europe or North America. In general, I'd bet on functional low-cost products as less susceptible to tastes and trends.

Top Bottom