What's new

The hobby in 10 years from now

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
10 years from now my collection will be worth MILLIONS -- oh wait, you're not SWMBO....Yeah, I don't know what'll happen 10 years from now....hope I'm around to see it. :001_smile

I'll still be shaving with my mild Techs, with Proraso or Arko (as mainstays) using the same Omega boar brush I started with.

Not much is going to change unless the Greensters decide to get a hold of it.

I mean, stuff that changes as we move into the future is generally new stuff. We are talking about shaving with OLD technology. I joined this forum in 2009, was shaving mostly with a Mach3. Had purchased a Fusion but wasn't really sold on it being better than Mach3.

Since then, I have only gone backwards in technology. Started with DE, moved to SE, then to straight razors. Back and back and back into the past. Now using a shavette, essentially a straight razor but with a replaceable blade. Still a very old-feeling way to shave.

In 10 years there may be newer gizmos to shave with, but most of the guys on here will not be using them! I hope Feather and Kai keep making AC-style blades. If they do, I can use the shavette until they lower me into the ground.

That in itself is an interesting proposition given some of the issues with the superfatted artisan soaps turning lately. I wouldn't feel to bad if I had 10 pucks of Williams go bad, but 10 tubs of GD, well that's another story and some folks have much much more than that.
That's one of the reasons why I'm trying to use up all my 'Natural' soaps, or the ones with the simple ingredients/no preservatives. Even though I enjoy them, I wouldn't want them to go bad. I'm guessing the WMS and Prorasos will survive much longer.

That's one of the reasons why I'm trying to use up all my 'Natural' soaps, or the ones with the simple ingredients/no preservatives. Even though I enjoy them, I wouldn't want them to go bad. I'm guessing the WMS and Prorasos will survive much longer.
I decided, similarly, to start using up soft pucks from artisans/artisan newbies before getting to the harder, more established soaps.

Its only going to get worse for us. Just look at it historically.

right now, the best of the blades are American persona, astra, and some of the top "gillettes" made in Russia. 1 Gillette blade in india is good.

Ban importation of products from Russia, and youll be stuck with junk blades like derby, or trying to find American personnas.

Look at soaps, even the NEW crappy reformulations have been getting dropped lately or changed into even worse things when the parent companies come out with newer canned goo for the market.

in 10 years... we will most likely be day dreaming about having a puck of Williams we just bought off the shelf.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

right now, the best of the blades are American persona, astra, and some of the top "gillettes" made in Russia. 1 Gillette blade in india is good.

Ban importation of products from Russia, and youll be stuck with junk blades like derby, or trying to find American personnas.

Look at soaps, even the NEW crappy reformulations have been getting dropped lately or changed into even worse things when the parent companies come out with newer canned goo for the market.

in 10 years... we will most likely be day dreaming about having a puck of Williams we just bought off the shelf.

25 years ago, I had the choice of 1 DE, I type of blade, and maybe two soaps, but I stuck to canned foam and gel as they were easier to find. Your apocalyptic vision sounds like bliss in comparison.

Nowadays, only two of my favourite blades are made in Russia (Astra SP and SharpEdge) , with the other favourites being from Turkey (Derby Premium), Israel (Personna), India (SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium), Germany (Wilkinson Sword), and Japan (Feather). There's plenty of other blades I haven't tried yet too.

For me to feel bareft of soap, we'd need to lose Palmolive, Mitchell's, Wickham, Haslinger, and I've only used a tiny fraction of what's out there right now. I can get a great shave with "lesser" soaps anyway, even regular bar soap if I need to, but I won't need to - market forces will ensure there'll still be some fantastic offerings. Any crappy reformulations will either have gone back to the old ways (like Cyril Salters have) or fizzled out, and got out of the way.

In ten years, I reckon I'll be using most of the same products I use today, and loving it.

I was a member here originally back in 2007 and also on some other shaving forums. I left in 2008 and now returning after ten plus years. The forum really has not changed that much. Mostly just different members. The biggest change has been the number of small artisan soaps and razors which were not around 10 years ago. There is a lot more choices today for new products than there was 10 years ago other than the old reliable Ebay with vintage razors.

With that being said I think D/E shaving (or Straight or S/E) will slow down or decrease as the "Baby Boomers" die off (me included). Because we are the last generation who many of us actually first started shaving with the D/E razors. So to us it was more of a ritual or a "becoming of age" as we look back so I think at least for me it has more sentimental value. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
With that being said I think D/E shaving (or Straight or S/E) will slow down or decrease as the "Baby Boomers" die off (me included). Because we are the last generation who many of us actually first started shaving with the D/E razors. So to us it was more of a ritual or a "becoming of age" as we look back so I think at least for me it has more sentimental value. This is strictly my opinion. I have no actual data to back up this claim.

I agree with this statement.

In 10 years the beard fad will be gone and clean shaven looks will return.

If anything, all shaving related items will grow in sales and demand.

And don't assume it ends with the Boomers. I'm Gen X and I wet shave. Also, I've hooked up my 16 y.o. nephew who is now a fanatic for brushes, creams and DE.

LASER shaving will completely eliminate the need for any blade to ever touch human skin again!

However, just as quartz and IC technology has made my 1953 Omega Seamaster "bumper" automatic watch obsolete, I will continue to wear my relic timepiece over an Apple watch ANY and EVERY day of the week!... yes, and twice on Sundays!

In all honesty, I do predict that there will, in fact, be a laser-based or similar technology that will achieve a precise, perfect, hair elimination "shave" that does not negatively impact the skin. Yeah, there will be completely hairless bodies running (or flying) around all over the place! Yet, there will STILL be a culture of "traditional" die-hard enthusiast shavers that insist on taking a blade to the beard (and head), in spite of the risks, time, and inconvenience of it all!!!

Last edited:
In 10 years the beard fad will be gone and clean shaven looks will return.

If anything, all shaving related items will grow in sales and demand.

And don't assume it ends with the Boomers. I'm Gen X and I wet shave. Also, I've hooked up my 16 y.o. nephew who is now a fanatic for brushes, creams and DE.

I don't think the beard fad is going away any time soon. It has more to do with low participation in the military as compared to previous generations.

LASER shaving will completely eliminate the need for any blade to ever touch human skin again!

However, just as quartz and IC technology has made my 1953 Omega Seamaster "bumper" automatic watch obsolete, I will continue to wear my relic timepiece over an Apple watch ANY and EVERY day of the week!... yes, and twice on Sundays!

In all honesty, I do predict that there will, in fact, be a laser-based or similar technology that will achieve a precise, perfect, hair elimination "shave" that does not negatively impact the skin. Yeah, there will be completely hairless bodies running (or flying) around all over the place! Yet, there will STILL be a culture of "traditional" die-hard enthusiast shavers that insist on taking a blade to the beard (and head), in spite of the risks, time, and inconvenience of it all!!!

They already have home laser hair removal and IPL that's FDA approved. Of course this is a relatively permanent solution and not at all painless.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
...but they will all be owned by P&G. :sob:
:lol1:
tenor.gif

I have great result with Wilkersons from Germany, and Bic from Greece. Just saying...

As to soaps, there's a project I've wanted to try for a while. Unlike DE and SE blade, we can, in theory, make our own. If we go to straights, we won't have to worry about blades at all.

I have great result with Wilkersons from Germany, and Bic from Greece. Just saying...

As to soaps, there's a project I've wanted to try for a while. Unlike DE and SE blade, we can, in theory, make our own. If we go to straights, we won't have to worry about blades at all.
Wilkinson is a now go for me, I once bought 50 blades in one go, about 30 of them had some sort of serated edge.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think going green will be the future getting glass bottles back, no more carts just plain ole DE razors and blades come as they do now.
It is in the last 30 years where we have been forced to use plastic, with them telling us how good it is for the environment. If you look back we was green, we reused everything including nappy's, milk bottles including pop bottles.

Plastic will faze out big time and as for Communication & fourms it will be all done on video from the back of your arm....

As for shaving brushes we will still have Badger and Boar, but we will lose the Synthetic seeing that is a plastic your soaps will come in a cardboard box or wooden bowl like most do now.
I agree

Raven Koenes

My precious!

I'm finding a lot of blades out of the Lord factory to be pretty decent. I like the new Shark Platinum, Silver Star, and Lord Platinum. Their SS blades are not bad either. Timor blades are exceptionally good if you can find them at a reasonable price...hint...Connaught.

Last edited:
Top Bottom