What's new

OCtober 2019

Friday OCtober 18

This is a slightly smaller and lighter Leresche #34 model than the Leresche #54 I used earlier in the week. The comb length seems to be slightly shorter on this razor than on the #54. I didn't measure, I will later, it is just my impression on use.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Friday)
Brush - M&F Stubby, Finest Badger, Cobalt 30mm
Blade - Gillette Platinum (4)
Razor - Leresche #34 (France)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Epsilon Blue A/S (Spain)

Shave rating 5 of 5

I liked the shave although I liked the #54 better. The #34 is a little lighter and I found it a little difficult to find the proper shaving angle. My first pass WTG was smooth with no blade feel, and not very efficient and it left me with more stubble than I'm used to, <DFS. The second pass, XTG and again was a very smooth pass with absolutely no blade feel and DFS+. I don't and I'm not chasing BBS so I didn't feel I needed to do another pass. The MWF lather was very good on the first pass and perfect for the second pass - I didn't do anything, it just sat in my scuttle. I got a 2 pass, nick and weeper free shave. The alum was silent, even on my neck area which is unusual. I finished off with the Epsilon Blue A/S.

Overall, a really good shave. I have a few more French razors for my next few shaves.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
2E9FEC07-E658-4350-83E7-89BCCCC84A30.jpeg

OCtober Shave #18

Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: Maggard 24mm Badger
Aftershave: Osage Rub

Oct 18
Razor: 1917 "property US Army" Old Type Gillette.
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Boar
Balm: Nivea
AS: Clubman

Great shave with my WWI relic. I don't use it often enough. 2 pass DFS+.
1018191341.jpg

OCt 18

An old tool, but it is in great shape and it is new to me. Came with 11 Blue Blades, 9 still wrapped inside King C’s portrait. So I unwrapped 1 NOS and sterilized 2 user-grade blades. Clio is my muse.

Gillette 1914 Pocket Edition gold shell
Gillette Blue Blades - two old E3s, one Super Blue Blade E2
Palmolive menthol cream face lathered
modern Williams Mug lathered on the puck
Ever-Ready boar original knot
pottery Old Spice mug
alum
homebrew alcohol based AS in an ‘heirloom’ 4711 bottle
tools belonged to my wife’s grandad
2C93EC3B-1946-4616-A856-2DFD936AFF3D.jpeg

OCt 18

An old tool, but it is in great shape and it is new to me. Came with 11 Blue Blades, 9 still wrapped inside King C’s portrait. So I unwrapped 1 NOS and sterilized 2 user-grade blades. Clio is my muse.

pottery Old Spice mug
alum
View attachment 1027132

Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy All. This morning’s shave for OCtober was:

Razor: WCS 110s OC
Blade: Derby Extra
Soap: Arko stick
Brush: Omega S Brush
Aftershave: Brut

Shave on!

OCtober Shave #9-11

Razor: Fatip Grande
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German)
Soap: Mitchels Wool Fat
Brush: Omega Boar
Post Shave: Nivea Aftershave balm

OCtober shave #17
Merkur 41C + Gillette Nacet (3)
Use Lather & Wood Preshave Oil. Face lather with Muhle XL and Tabac Original. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS+. No issues.

Today’s shave Gillette NEW LC OC. Blade Red Personna Pre Shave cream White Proraso Shave cream White Proraso Brush my Father’s old boar. Music listening to Enrico Caruso.

Cooper Monobilt/Derby Premium/RR 24mm Plissoft/Stone Cottage Leather&Smoke
Thayers Medicated WH Astringent/Chiseled Face Midnight Stag splash

A great shave with the Cooper. Thanks to a fellow B&B member, I acquired this razor via a trade and I couldn’t be happier with the results. A smooth 3 pass shave that was refreshing without a single mishap, weepers, nics or irritation. Just a wonderful shave. Great shaves to all....

A great shave with the Cooper. Thanks to a fellow B&B member, I acquired this razor via a trade and I couldn’t be happier with the results. A smooth 3 pass shave that was refreshing without a single mishap, weepers, nics or irritation. Just a wonderful shave. Great shaves to all....

Hello GlazedBoker, I was just gifted one of these Cooper Monobilts, and I was finding it hard to get a blade in without it bending and having a "smile" at one end, on one side. Does the Derby have shorter ends perhaps? Or possibly my Cooper is not square (I attempted to use an Astra Superior Stainless).

Thanks, Stmiff

Shave of the day
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #9
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
IMG_0369a.JPG

OCtober shave #18
Merkur 41C + Gillette Nacet (4)
Used Lather & Wood Preshave Oil. Face lathered with Muhle XL and Tabac Original. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS+. No issues. Pleasant Saturday morning shave.

OCtober shave #17:
Gillette New Short Comb
Dorco Prime (1)
Arko
Nivea Balm

First time using the Dorco Prime in the short comb. Close shave, but very uncomfortable. No blood, but heavy irritation. Maybe it was me, maybe it was a bad razor/blade combo, I don't know. I do know I won't be using that combo again.

PAA Ascension SS/Voshkod Teflon/Yaqi 30mm Tux/Eleven DFS LE ‘19 soap
Thayers Lemon WH Astringent/Eleven DFS LE ‘19 splash/Mr. Burberry eau de parfum

A real good shave with the SS Ascension. A very smooth yet efficient feeling razor that punches way above its weight. It’s marketed as a ”Twist Adjustable” and it sounds gimmicky but, because of the extreme curvature of the razor base plate and top cap, the razor acts as a spring and gives the razor the adjustment via twisting the handle in very small increments. Tightening the handle closes the gap and leaves a very smooth feeling shave with light blade feel. Turning it to loosen the handle increases gap and blade reveal for more cutting aggression with an increase in blade feel and efficiency. Simple but, genius. Great shaves to all...

B8042937-399C-453D-BC99-6EDB2825FA1F.jpeg

OCtober Shave #19

Razor: Gillette Goodwill 160
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: Wholly Kaw – Merchant of Tobacco
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Timber Wolf
Aftershave: Whiskey Woods

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 19th- I have been eyeing up my Valet auto strop Canadian C1 model for my SOTD & it can be a little rough for some of us and I decided a month or so ago to correct the gap for today's blades and it works excellent. I brought it in closer, the orginal blade gap was .011 thousands & now adjusted to .007 thousands of a inch and it still shaves very close but much more smoother if you like to know for Valet auto-strop razor owners.
When they manufactured these iconic razors they used a malleable brass for the open comb and mine are easy to bend them upwards gently with taped needle nose pliers(basically a adjustable razor to owners comfort level and not some average generic gap the factory produced.)

Razor: Valet auto strop Canadian C1,modified blade gap from .011 to .007 thousands of a inch- Mfg 1920's
Blade :GEM SS PTFE de-spined with corners trimmed to fit their unique propitiatory clamping system(3rd blade use)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Yaki tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse followed by some Dickenson's witch hazel
Post shave: Nivea sensitive balm + Razorock King Louis Lavender
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum indicated minor irritation + 1 minor weeper= :biggrin1: :a17: very good close shave from my C1 Valet auto-strop.
OCtober 19-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
A great (non-BBS, I might add) shave today. 2-passes (not even a PTU [Perfunctory Touch-Up] required) and I had a DFS. What could do this you ask? Was it terrific technique, a remarkable razor, a bodacious blade (awesome alliteration, right?)??? The answer is, of course, YES!!!

Introducing the Burham Open Comb -- they made an identical razor with a closed comb as well. It takes an unmodified GEM blade or a de-spined GEM if you prefer a mild shave....I like my GEM unmodified for the Burham. This is a super light 1 piece razor with no moving parts. It's easy to clean, easy to load and very easy to use. Aside from the blade feel, this is NOT an aggressive razor, but it is VERY efficient. It's one of those razors that you might pass up at the flea market, but that would be a big mistake.

Here are the details and a picture of pics (aka a collage):
Burham OC (pat'd 1909) | GEM SS PTFE (12th shave) | RazoRock 24mm Plissoft | Haslinger's Honig | Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum Aftershave
proxy.php

proxy.php

Very cool razor. Thanks for the review. But I'd like to know how they made an "Identical" razor that is somohow also different. :001_tt2:

OCt 18

pottery Old Spice mug
alum
View attachment 1027132

Beautiful gold shell. I like the well used/vintage tools surrounding it also.

Top Bottom