What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

I have tried a bunch of blade combos in both the standard OC and the Jaws. I found my favorite combination to be the Jaws with a Voskhod. I normally use sharper blades like Polsilver or 7 O’clock black, but I get a closer shave with the Jaws/Voskhod and don’t lose any comfort over the standard OC. YMMV but might be worth giving them a shot if you aren’t getting along the with GC.

proxy.php
Two band silvertip? Nice handle shape too.

If you had to compare the GC 84 and the Rockwell, which would you say was smoother? What would you say the pros and cons of each are?

The 6s is my daily driver, but I’m trying to decide if I want to add a GC 84 to my den... that, or a Karve in brass... it’s proven to be a tough decision!

I usually use the 4 plate on my Rockwell. The head is a lot heavier which for me leads me to use more pressure. I feel it is about the same smoothness with a touch less blade feel but the efficiency is totally different. The GC seems so much more efficient and given the head low weight relative to the handle I apply like no pressure and it just sings. The angle for me is also much more intuitive and easier to find and keep on the GC. I love my Rockwell but RR really did change the game.

I usually use the 4 plate on my Rockwell. The head is a lot heavier which for me leads me to use more pressure. I feel it is about the same smoothness with a touch less blade feel but the efficiency is totally different. The GC seems so much more efficient and given the head low weight relative to the handle I apply like no pressure and it just sings. The angle for me is also much more intuitive and easier to find and keep on the GC. I love my Rockwell but RR really did change the game.

Wow, that’s quite the endorsement! Thanks for your response, it gives me a good idea of how the two razors differ - the GC84 sounds pretty sweet!

My game changer finally arrived and I tried it out this morning. I have both the .68 and the .84 base plates.

I used the .68 base plate this morning and I can report that it was a close and comfortable two pass shave. I have the HD handle and find the razor somewhat out of balance due to the handle weight, but nothing terrible. This razor does not bite, and I could probably fly through a shave when in a hurry and still end up with a DFS. The .68 base plate gives a shave similar to a Tech.

I’ll use the .68 base plate a few more days and then switch over to the .84.

Recently sold one with 0.68 and 0.84 base plates. Fine razor no complaints. Wouldn't say I was 'not happy' with it just didn't use it. Reached for the Triangle or Oval Fat Handle Techs or the SLOC instead.
I gave my Grandson mine with both plates. Again, fine razor no complaints, I just prefer a thin cap Old Type, or pre war Tech.

I used the .84 base plate for the first time this morning. Wow! It was a very close and comfortable shave. No irritation or nicks at all! It reminds me of my slim set on 7.

I’ll do a few more shaves with the .68 and .84 baseplates before I decide which one is my favorite.

I used the .84 base plate for the first time this morning. Wow! It was a very close and comfortable shave. No irritation or nicks at all! It reminds me of my slim set on 7.

I’ll do a few more shaves with the .68 and .84 baseplates before I decide which one is my favorite.

Yes, it’s a good one. I ended up selling my .68 as there was just no need for it. I found the .84 to be just as comfortable and smooth, yet more efficient.

The .84 seems to be a winner for me. I’ll need to use the .84 a few more times, but it blew me away this morning.

Made the mistake of buying the .68. Threw a new GSB in it this morning and man that was smoooooth. Honestly, it was hard to tell where it stacked up (to me) efficiency-wise with the .84 but I could definitely discern that it was a little more comfortable. I felt as if I could maneuver easier and it just glided effortlessly. Ended up with a shave that seemed to have similar results as the .84......Need a few more rounds to finalize my take.

If you had to compare the GC 84 and the Rockwell, which would you say was smoother? What would you say the pros and cons of each are?

The 6s is my daily driver, but I’m trying to decide if I want to add a GC 84 to my den... that, or a Karve in brass... it’s proven to be a tough decision!
For me, the 6S is the king of smooth, even with a Polsilver SI blade. The GC is also smooth despite its rigid clamping design, I suspect because of the negative (.68) and roughly neutral (.84) blade exposure. But the .84 requires a much lighter touch than the 6S, and even the .68 can cause irritation if you pass over the same spot repeatedly. In contrast, it's nearly impossible to irritate or nick yourself with the 6S unless you really hack at your face (possible if you're half asleep, I admit).

The other side of the coin is, if you shave only once every few days or have a thick, tough beard, you might get the shave you want more quickly and easily with the GC than the 6S. So a lot depends on the user's beard and shaving habits, and preferred shaving style or technique. All just mho.

Been using my GC .84 for 3 weeks now and love it. It has replaced my Rockwell 6S. In particular I like it’s low profile head which allows me to get clean sharp lines around my goatee and mustache. I have sensitive skin so I do only two passes with and across the grain and still get a close shave with no irritation. Thumbs up for the .84. 👍

I can’t compare to the Rockwell, but a couple days ago I got a Charcoal Goods level 2 SB which I’ve read people say is more efficient and smoother than the .84 GC. To me, the .84 GC OC and Jaws are both significantly more efficient than the CG, which took me a lot of effort to get a decent shave. No knock at all against the CG, it’s an awesomely crafted razor and would probably do well for most people. I am cursed with a trifecta of coarse hair that grows flat against my skin, which is very sensitive. I can get extremely close shaves and no irritation with the GC in just 2 passes. I have not been able to find a SB razor that works well for me in 6+ years of wet shaving, so I have an OC Charcoal Goods baseplate on the way to compare to the GC. As of now I haven’t found anything that produces the shaves of the OC GC, particularly the Jaws which is my favorite.

proxy.php

Knowing full well that RR/Italian Barber randomly discontinues stock in particular models, I didn't want to lose out on a backup GC .68 in the off chance I end up liking it more than the .84, so I bought another one. Now I have two .84s and two .68s....:302: A few months back, I had finally succeeded in selling everything off and went minimalist. Now, the way I'm going to justify it to myself is that I really only have one razor still, with a few backup handles and plates...:laugh:

Knowing full well that RR/Italian Barber randomly discontinues stock in particular models, I didn't want to lose out on a backup GC .68 in the off chance I end up liking it more than the .84, so I bought another one. :laugh:

My GC .68P has become my every day razor. But as soon as the .84P base plate is back in stock I plan to order one. I'd rather have one in case I need it down the road. Than regret not buying the plate for $29.99.

I can’t compare to the Rockwell, but a couple days ago I got a Charcoal Goods level 2 SB which I’ve read people say is more efficient and smoother than the .84 GC. To me, the .84 GC OC and Jaws are both significantly more efficient than the CG, which took me a lot of effort to get a decent shave.

More efficient, yes, but I also found my GC84 to be much smoother than the CG lvl2.

I love the GameChangers. At home, I prefer the .84 OC for its increased efficiency.

However, I had to go on a trip for a week, where shaving would be more primitive. I took my .84 original, a synthetic brush, and Latha soap. The .84 original is just so easy for me to shave with without worry about mistakes.

My GC .68P has become my every day razor. But as soon as the .84P base plate is back in stock I plan to order one. I'd rather have one in case I need it down the road. Than regret not buying the plate for $29.99.

I hear you....but I have yet to see the base plates available on their own. Might as well have an extra handle, don't you think? Ha.

Top Bottom