What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

A piece of awesomeness, and I am going to be a big tease and not reveal it yet. :)

C'mon, man...

Waffled on the curly block (have one stashed away somewhere) and decided to go with (Mars - Lemoyne, PA):

GH- Bob's Chocolate Flake, GH- Bosun Cut Plug, Savinelli- Doblone d'Oro 100g, and Peterson Perfect Plug "3 Ps" 50 g

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

C'mon, man...

Waffled on the curly block (have one stashed away somewhere) and decided to go with (Mars - Lemoyne, PA):

GH- Bob's Chocolate Flake, GH- Bosun Cut Plug, Savinelli- Doblone d'Oro 100g, and
Peterson Perfect Plug "3 Ps" 50 g
The anticipation is killing me, too :)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Erick:
cigar-jpg.849848
As in the enclosed pics...sitting on our office table, this humidor holds only seven (7), Fonseca Cosacos Cigars (5¼ x 42), w/o the tray. View attachment 1013723

NOTE: I would advise not using the tray all together because if you 'season' the inside of the humidor and tray and place the tray in the humidor...'swelling' of the wood during this process will make the tray unmovable (w/o difficulty).

Or the other hand, if one 'seasons' the tray alone...equally it will not fit in the humidor (w/o some pressure and/or light force thus rendering your humidor a 'total write -off).

View attachment 1013717

Will not hold Churchill’s vertically though (short by at least ½in). :001_unsur

The hydrometer was factory set (I did salt test it…no adjustment needed), and I'm currently using the included plastic [foam] humidifier, by will replace it with a Sm Rh Shield humidifier as soon as it arrives by post. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1013718

My early assessment...well made for the price, it's holding up good, looks good (the Mrs. thought it was a book), and maintaining 70% humidity (going on 4plus...I'll keep a eye on it).
proxy.php

It looks great, Christopher. Do you intend on actually traveling with it? The excess space in the humidor makes me think that the cigars will rattle around quite a bit. A bit of sanding on the edges of the tray should correct the swelling issues.

Erik:
About the excess space...yeah...I think that might be a problem while traveling (which the Mrs. and I do often), but I would try to carry different sizes to make-up for the space...plus how the top lid is made to 'recess' (can't think of the proper wood-working term), into the top lip of the humidor...it seems to have a good 'seal' [“whoosh”] and I hope for a 'snug' fit to hold them in place.

And you're right (what was I thinking? Why didn't I think of that?
proxy.php
), of course...sandpaper on the tray...duhhh. :001_rolle
Erick / Claudel / Cigar Smokers :
Update.png
...I discarded the cheap (flower), foam inside the plastic humidifier (be careful now...it's delicate), and filled it with the beads from the Rh Sm Shield (it was too big btw). :001_rolle

Otherwise, this humidor is holding up good…humidity maintained around 65-72% going on past seven (7) days...have to 'check-it' again in a few days and maybe ‘re-charge’ the beads w/ distilled water (only). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"[Like a good humidor] Some people meditate, [some] smoke cigars". Ron Perlman

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
View attachment 1018752 ...I discarded the cheap (flower), foam inside the plastic humidifier (be careful now...it's delicate), and filled it with the beads from the Rh Sm Shield (it was too big btw). :001_rolle

Otherwise, this humidor is holding up good…humidity maintained around 65-72% going on past seven (7) days...have to 'check-it' again in a few days and maybe ‘re-charge’ the beads w/ distilled water (only). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"[Like a good humidor] Some people meditate, [some] smoke cigars". Ron Perlman

Good to hear, Christopher. It sounds like it ended up being a worthy investment.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Erik:
Thanx for the
Shout-out.jpg
, support and for sharing!

Let's hope the durability holds up well into my future travels.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Gentlemen", said the Count…as he entered…"will you return to the [smoking room]? You will find good cigars [in] the center table [humidor]”. "The Count of Monte Cristo"

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
View attachment 1018752 ...I discarded the cheap (flower), foam inside the plastic humidifier (be careful now...it's delicate), and filled it with the beads from the Rh Sm Shield (it was too big btw). :001_rolle

Otherwise, this humidor is holding up good…humidity maintained around 65-72% going on past seven (7) days...have to 'check-it' again in a few days and maybe ‘re-charge’ the beads w/ distilled water (only).
Cigar Friends:
Update...I've decided to use one (1) packet of Boveda (8gms), 2-Way Humidity Control 69% instead of the humidity beads in the plastic humidifier (I'll keep the plastic humidifier in place as a
'back-up' system). :smile:

Travel Humidor - 28 Sept 19.jpg

Seven (7) Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas (5 x 42), and two (2) cedar blocks to help[ prevent any possible 'rattling around'.

So far...69% humidity is maintained as the company claims..."No Mess. No Worries. Enjoy". :001_005:

proxy.php
"Gentlemen", said the Count…as he entered…"will you return to the [smoking room]? You will find good cigars [in] the center table [humidor]”. "The Count of Monte Cristo"

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Stogiemeisters:
proxy.php
I'm now waiting on fifteen (15), Cuban Quintero y Hermano Tubulares (5½in x 42 - Corona - Box Code ENE [Jan] 16) cigars.

It will be interesting to see if more than three (3), years age will have (at least), begun to 'mellow' these (short-filler - hand-rolled), sticks. :drool:

A little about these Cigars;
"Habanos, S.A. presents the new Quintero y Hermano Tubulares (5 1/2 x 42 - Corona), a new vitola incorporated to the most popular brand with origin in the city of Cienfuegos. [...] This is the first time that the brand is in aluminum tube.

All the Quintero y Hermano cigars are made with leaves coming from Vuelta Abajo (D.O.P)* and Semi Vuelta zones / platations, in the Pinar del Río (D.O.P.)* region and are "Tripa Corta", Totalmente a Mano - "Short Filler", Totally hand made. These Habanos are characterized by its medium bodied flavour".

Quintero Tubulares.jpg

cigar-jpg.849848
"Age appears to be best in four things; [cigars to smoke]..., old wine to drink, old friends to trust and old authors to read". Francis Bacon

Last edited:
Waiting on these two guys; they should arrive on Thursday from Cook's Fine Pipe Works. Note: The pictures are Anthony's from his Before/After shots.
49lbft-012.jpg
4dnatreg-011.jpg

Both came from a lot of 15 well smoked pipes that I bought from a friend. They originally belonged to an Episcopal Priest friend of his. They were heavily smoked but not abused. These two seemed worthy of professional restoration and Anthony outdid himself from the looks of things. The Four Dot required more work as there was a bite-through on the underside of the stem and some button damage as well as some minor damage in the heel of the bowl. The Dunhill is a 1949 LB F/T Shell. The Sasieni is a Four Dot Natural Regent.
Here are two "Before" pics.
49lbft-003.jpg
4dnatreg-001.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Waiting on these two guys; they should arrive on Thursday from Cook's Fine Pipe Works. Note: The pictures are Anthony's from his Before/After shots.
View attachment 1024148View attachment 1024149

Both came from a lot of 15 well smoked pipes that I bought from a friend. They originally belonged to an Episcopal Priest friend of his. They were heavily smoked but not abused. These two seemed worthy of professional restoration and Anthony outdid himself from the looks of things. The Four Dot required more work as there was a bite-through on the underside of the stem and some button damage as well as some minor damage in the heel of the bowl. The Dunhill is a 1949 LB F/T Shell. The Sasieni is a Four Dot Natural Regent.
View attachment 1024151View attachment 1024152

Lovely restoration on a pair of worthy pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 1024148View attachment 1024149

View attachment 1024151View attachment 1024152
The pipes arrived today and both are better looking in hand than in the photos. It is hard to pin down the exact age of the Sasieni, but the Dunhill is a 70 year old pipe and both look essentially brand new, with the exception to the nomenclature wear on the Four Dot that can't be recovered. I can't say enough about the work that Anthony put into these pipes; absolutely the perfect amount of restoration. I told Anthony that I'm sure I could do an OK job of restoring these pipes, but the difference between my amateur work and his professional skills is a night and day comparison. Some pipes just deserve the best treatment and these two did. I couldn't be more pleased and would recommend Cooks Fine Pipe Works in a second.

The pipes arrived today and both are better looking in hand than in the photos. It is hard to pin down the exact age of the Sasieni, but the Dunhill is a 70 year old pipe and both look essentially brand new, with the exception to the nomenclature wear on the Four Dot that can't be recovered. I can't say enough about the work that Anthony put into these pipes; absolutely the perfect amount of restoration. I told Anthony that I'm sure I could do an OK job of restoring these pipes, but the difference between my amateur work and his professional skills is a night and day comparison. Some pipes just deserve the best treatment and these two did. I couldn't be more pleased and would recommend Cooks Fine Pipe Works in a second.
Money well spent. That is exceptional work on two very fine pipes. Congrats, man.

Top Bottom