What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

1570785400544.png

Hi,

I am sorry about the medical, issues, for sure. I can't think that anyone would be coming up stories like this next year. That's for sure as well!

Stan

@Pepin,
Great story.
I loved flying as a passenger in those old prop planes when I was in the Air Force.

@Pepin another great right up.
I'm still out :) but just want to say thank you for the organization of this sabbatical and the great stories!

Thank you for the kinds and vote of confidence.

I have not flown on those types of planes, but would love to.
I have found some still flying and offering tickets.

Interesting reading about flying passenger in those decades. Some nice photos from the day on the 'net.

Thank you for the kinds and vote of confidence.

I have not flown on those types of planes, but would love to.
I have found some still flying and offering tickets.

Interesting reading about flying passenger in those decades. Some nice photos from the day on the 'net.

I forgot to mention that the urinals in the Air Force version were a big can with a flip-top lid. The toilet was a honey bucket with a clear plastic bag.

Most of the times I flew in the back of a C-130, they flew over the destination, and I jumped out.

I forgot to mention that the urinals in the Air Force version were a big can with a flip-top lid. The toilet was a honey bucket with a clear plastic bag.

Most of the times I flew in the back of a C-130, they flew over the destination, and I jumped out.
AIRBORNE!!!

Everyone approaches this thing with different levels of seriousness but in my opinion, yes, it does defeat the purpose and the spirit of the sabbatical. I mean how hard is it to successfully complete the "sabbatical" when one buys a bunch of new stuff at the beginning of each year? I think the rules allow for a purchase of something if one is totally out of a necessary item so everything else is basically a want and not a need. I'm in it for the challenge of reducing what I already have. There are a few aftershaves I would like to buy because I'm out of them and kind of miss them but I still have so many other aftershaves to use up so I'm not going to do it. For me it's a nice exercise in self-control which is translating to other areas of my life as well.

I wouldn’t disagree with any of that. I’m not planning on going total treewhale for the resupply.
I may buy a couple of soaps and a couple of aftershaves.

I’ve been researching scuttles this year, I’ve been tempted a couple times but the sabbatical has kept me in check.

Come resupply period if I still have the desire to get one I will. It won’t be a replacement, and I’ll still consider the sabbatical a success as I learned restraint all year.

As has been said, people join the sabbatical for different reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am having a hard time thinking of anything I would need/want during the next restock window. Most of my stuff is packed in boxes in anticipation of moving into a new house in a month or two and I am kind of enjoying the minimalism. I am currently 3017'ing a 1000ml block of Vitos shave soap. I press a bunch into a container I had laying around and mostly used a Plissoft brush and was using it at a bit more than a gram a shave. I reloaded the container and am now I am using a Simpson #55 at about 0.4 grams a shave so at that rate this soap might last into 2022.

Given that I have three months to think about it I am pretty sure I will come up with something. Or maybe I will just pour another cup of coffee and be happy with what I have.

Ruckin still in.

I can relate to that, although my stash of stuff is modest compared to some, I think other than some Nivea asb and witch hazel I’m good for at least 5 years. I’ve been switching between Tabac for tabactober and trying to kill my Razorock xxx; the xxx has been a 4 month project. I only have another 14 full pucks of soap left in the bottom drawer of my dresser lol.

I cant imagine trying to burn through a kilo of soap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Third check-in is over, and we lot one.

Sam Spades Team of Operatives

1. Pepin - vintage grail razor***2018***

3. johnwick - One Timeless baseplate swap
4. Ruckin–No exception***2018***
5. mikelz777 - No exception***2018***
7. Shave_Rat - New scuttle***2018***

8. meanpr - No exception
11. Vespasian- No exception
13. KQY61 - No Exception ***2018***
14. martym - No exception ***2018***

15. VerbaVolant - one stainless razor.
17. Keen Edge - Blades
20. Howler - No Exception
23 GaryTha - No exceptions
22. JohnYaddy - OneBlade Razor ***2018***
24. AlphaFrank75 – Balm ***2018***
28. T.Orso - Unicorn hair shave brush (60% mane, 40% tail)***2018***

29. Ryanshh - 1 lapping film restock
30. Jamesearthdrum - Spool of PLA filament ***2018***
32. SpannerX - No exception
42. Mtnredhed - No exception***2018***
45. gsurko- No exceptions
48. byDoms - No Exception ***2018***
52. Spookmeister - Christopher Bradley razor
57. MuhleShaver - no exceptions ***2018***
58. CzechCzar - Muhle Rocca
59. Whisky- RazoRock SLOC
60. jldallas - Vintage DE razor
61. Macsen - Thayers Witch Hazel
67. Brian C. - No exception
68. Invicta - No exception
72. Heckle - mustache wax
73. FoxInfinitySunset - Synthetic brush***2018***
77. _Stormin_ - No Exception***2018***
79. 5Cantonas - Badger brush***2018***
86. psfred- Nickel plating supplies***2018***

88. mishkaya- No exception.
90. esetter – Variant razor ***2018***
91. Aziraphale - Hallows Soap and AS gift set
93. PhilC - No exception
94. CJB3 - New RR Game Changer release
97.Thomas Darkblade - No exception***2018***
98. dg33 – Shave brush ***2018***

100. Boghopper – Blades

The Opposition: Kasper Gutman Joel Cairo & their Henchmen

1. January 9th Operative No. 103 Bakker1964 - exception Karve OC razor - (OUT - Proraso pre-shave cream)
2. January 13th Operative No. 19 Azwetshaver - exception - strop, (OUT - brush)
3. January 25th, Operative Ruva #36: exception – Witch Hazel. (OUT – Barbersol 100th Anniversary can)
4. February 2nd Operative No. 82 Haggises - Exception: Schick repeater. (Out - David Beckahm Instinct Aftershave)
5. February 4th Operative No. 76 Saxtont47 - Exception witch hazel. (Out - Simpson`s Duke 3 brush)
6. February 4th Operative No. 87 bdehne – No exception. (Out – Volga razor)
7. February 7th Operative No. 92. Mtn.Man – No exception. (Out – shiny BST buy)
8. February 9th Operative No. 44. Slipknot – No exception. (Out – Captains Choice & CRSW shave soap)
9. February 9th Operative No. 63 Clay S - Birth year/quarter razor (out – vintage Avon aftershave bottle for Pinaud Clubman Musk)
10. February 10th Operative No. 84 Hannah’s Dad - British #15 tune-up (out – FatBoy)
11. February 13th Operative No. 85 Sharp’s- Char Gds – (out – Grand Shave King razor)
12. February 13th Operative No. 37 Somnos - Full version: Shaving Buddy app.
(out - mint Aristocrat #66 set + NOS made in England travelling set)
13. February 17th Operative No. 40. Yminoh - No exception. (out – Charcoal Goods razor)
14. February 23rd Operative No. 26 Heron - Exception shave soap. (OUT - Harry's mail order razor)
15. February 24th Operative No. 83. Luecke2326: Exception straight razor. (OUT - EPIC treewhale of a barbers supply)
16. February 24th Operative No. 16. Galaktus: No exception. (OUT - self withdraw)
17. February 24th Operative No. 64 KW Driver: Exception Trac II blades. (OUT - self withdraw)
18. February 26th Operative No. 10 Kevdogg329: Exception Aftershave. (OUT - shave cream & cartridges)
19. March 2nd Operative No. 51. karhu: No exception. (OUT – Rockwell 6S Razor)
20. March 3rd Operative No. 66 Boar Fighter: No exception. (OUT - two synthetic shave brushes)
21. March 4th Operative No. 31 pbrmhl - Exception Charcoal Goods razor. (OUT - 4 bottles Chatillon Lux aftershave)
22. March 7th Operative No. 78 Neffarious: Exception pre-shave. (OUT - Shave Mac 24mm brush)
23. March 9th Operative No. 39 Nick Weepers: Exception Mike’s Bay Rum (OUT – NOS Old Spice soap in mug)
24. March 11th Operative No. 18 SAMB08: Exception Aftershave splash. (OUT – vintage 9/16 Genco Old Dutch straight)
25. March 11th Operative No. 35 deafficianado: No exception (OUT - Raw Shaving razor)
26. March 12th Operative No. 38 Joncr: No exception. (OUT - Gillette Skinguard cartridge)
27. March 15th Operative No. 65 Rev579: Exception 1 Vintage Grail Razor (OUT - 2 vintage ABC razor sets)
28. March 16th Operative No. 70 Dundak: No exception (OUT - mystery blue-light deal)
29. March 23rd Operative No. 2. Rockviper: No exception (OUT - Simpson's synthetic Chubby #2 brush)
30. March 30th Operative No. 55 AZBronco: Exception Tuxedo knot brush. (OUT – Stirling Coconut Lime & Glacial Lemon soap)
31. April 2nd Operative No. 47 Music: Exception Stirling post-shave balm. (OUT - hard to find mystery soap )
32. April 2nd Operative No. 9. Tony D: Exception shave soap. (OUT - binge soap buying)
33. April 6th Operative No. 43 Sotiris_A: No Exception. (OUT - Simpson's best badger brushes)
34. April 8th Operative No. 102 Kluber: Exception Tabac soap. (OUT - MDC soap)
35. April 13th Operative No. 96 StuartT: No exception (OUT - German Ralf Aust 6/8 straight razor)
36. April 14th Operative No. 6 Laird: Exception Cap & Chris restoration & replate New (Self declared -OUT)
37. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 101 Midoio – No exception (OUT)
38. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 81 MarsEnglish - no exception (OUT)
39. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 71 Treebeard - No exception (OUT)
40. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 54 jamiecm - no exception (OUT)
41. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No 46 TreadwayJohnA - No Exceptions (OUT)
42. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 12 barko78 - witch hazel (OUT)
43. April 29th Operative No. 95 tsimmns: Exception OneBlade V1 with a GEM (OUT- shaving cream/soap)
44. May 13th Operative No. 50 ShavingPanda: Exception Tabac aftershave (OUT - Charcoal razor)
45. Jun. 5th Operative No. 74 Shaved Fish: No exception (OUT - shave balm)
46. Jun. 9th Operative No. 41. Andromeda673: No Exception (OUT - shave soap)
47. Jun. 16th Operative No. 75 bjm: No exception (OUT - two boar brushes)
48. Jun. 27th Operative No. 21 emwolf: No exceptions (OUT - adjustable razor in brass)
49. Jul. 2nd Operative No. 89 Kcmodan: Exception 1 zenith horse hair brush (OUT - Kai Captain Excelia)
50. Jul. 4th Operative No. 56. Sabin: No exception (OUT - samples from Maggards)
51. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 53 Ajwien: no exception (OUT)
52. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 33 krow: No exceptions (OUT)
53. Jul. 12th Operative No. 49 Jim99: Exception Schick injector blades (OUT - Schick razor & blades)
54. Aug. 3rd Operative No. 27 ‘Bout Time: Exception Tallow & Steel Limited Release (OUT - 2 red & black sets)
55. Aug. 4th Operative No. 34cZed117: Exception Karve OC (OUT - copper shave bowl)
56. Aug. 12th Operative No. 80 Sgemmett: No exception (OUT - Rex Ambassador razor)
57. Aug. 14th Operative No. 25 bobmsp: Exception Grooming Dept. Pre-shave (OUT - 100 blade supply)
58. Aug. 30th Operative No. 99 Rico Suave: Exception blades (OUT - Blackland Vector razor)
59. Oct. 2nd Operative No. 62 Noodles: Exception Post-shave balm (OUT - 2 Silvertip shave brushes)
60. Oct. 12th "Lost in Action" Operative 69 Tokyospike: Exception Menthol crystals (OUT)

October 12th Operative No. 69 Tokyospike - OUT Lost in action (Missed check in #3)

It was still early in the morning as operative Tokyospike walked down the hall towards Spade's office. He was worried after yesterday's meeting. When they totaled the number of operatives lost it hit him really hard, for all he knew he could be next. And seeing Sam with the sling around his arm did not help matters.

He paused with hand about to turn the doorknob when he heard Effie's muffled voice. Feeling a bit guilty he put his ear to the door crack; he made out a loud remark by her "Poison gas! In a hotel room....". With that he pushed the door open and stepped in. A startled looking Effie, with the receiver to her ear filled Tokyospike's vision. She looked pale as she hung up the phone. "Sam will see you now." she said in a low voice. Operative Tokyospike stepped into Sam's office and closed the door. "How's the old wing doing Sam?" Sam gave a rueful smile, "Not bad if I do say so myself. It wasn't a solid hit, more of a graze." Tokyospike nodded and sat down, "So what's the plan? You do have one don't you? ... I mean to say, not to be impolite, but it seems we have lost a lot of operatives in his case." He finished and looked down at his hands, not sure where to look. A disquieting silence hung in the air for a few minutes. It was finally broken by a long scrap as Sam pushed back his chair, and stood up. Lighting a cigarette he walked around his desk; "Okay, I understand that you are a little worried, so am I. It's my reputation that is taking a beating with these deaths. It's fair to say that the problems of my agency don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. But it does matter to me, someday you'll understand that, and why I have to see this through to the end. Having said all that I have something easy for, take your mind off the problems." Sam leaned back on his desk and let out a long puff of smoke, "I have it on good authority that the Fatman and his crowd must be using forged papers to be able to travel in and out of so many ports through the world. Well I have a lead on a top notch forger, and he has agreed to give us a hint or two, to keep things amiable between the law and himself you see." Operative Tokyospike rubbed his jaw, thinking it over, "How risky would it be to talk to a forger, they were usually small mousy men. Okay, I'll do it." "Atta boy, a small assignment like this will set you straight." Sam wrote down the address and name, passing it to Tokyospike, "Grab a voucher for the rail ticket from Effie on your way out." As he made his way to the front door, he paused by Effie's desk, her eyes were red, she had been crying, a damp and crumpled handkerchief sat by the edge of her desk, "Here is your train voucher. Look after yourself." "Thank you Effie. You too, take care." with that he walked out.

Operative Tokyospike stood in line at the train station, waiting to cash in his voucher for a ticket. He was nervous, and standing here made it worse. He could not get the images out of his mind; Sam with a wounded arm, Effie crying, the long list of dead operatives, poison gas, .... poison gas. There was a loud noise, sort of a small explosion, and a blast of hot air, strongly scented hit him in the face. Tokyospike whirled around, dropping his valise, he staggered back. What was it? A bomb, Poison gas,? he looked around wildly, eyes wide, then he stood the tension easing a bit, it was a food vendor, who had part of the cooker burst, the smell was overcooked food. He glanced around, saw people staring at him. Had he really jumped and over-reacted that much. The previous horrid images came back. He shook, enough was enough he had to get out of this joint or he will go crazy, or get himself killed. He picked up his valise and made his way out the side door.

Tokyospike wandered down the side streets away from the train station, his mind in a daze. Finally, in a dingy alley he saw a door with some light coming from a crack. Seeing some other people approach he followed them in. It was a run-down bar. Smoke hung thick in the air, along with aftershave and cheap perfume. He found a spot at the bar, put down his valise, and motioned the bartender over; “Large whiskey, and keep them coming.” He laid down some money. After a few large glasses he felt a bit better. As his glass was being filled, he asked the bartender, “What is that horrible smell?” The bartender looked at him with angry eyes; “Don’t make fun of the bosses creations, he calls himself The Artisan of the Eastside. And it don’t do to get on his wrong side. Been making aftershave for years.” Tokyospike nodded, and kept his reply to himself. The bartender wandered off to serve others. Later on, Tokyospike noticed that the bartender was leaning close and discussing something seriously with two very large thuggish looking individuals, they kept glancing towards him. Feeling the urge, Tokyospike pushed himself off of the barstool, and almost fell down. His legs were like rubber, and things seemed blurry. He felt powerful arms on both sides steady him, and then walk him towards the back of the bar, then he passed out.

A sudden jolt woke him up, and a lightning bolt of pain shot through his brow. Hell of a hangover thought Tokyospike. Where am I? Then he noticed his arms were bound. He craned his neck trying to see where he was, a blurry figure came into view. “Ah good, our latest addition to my new aftershave has awoken.” Tokyospike gave his head a shake, “What did you say?” “I am brewing up my newest artisan blend of aftershave, and the addition of you will give the boiling batch the perfect, and final ingredient.” Tokyospike started to yell, but a rag was stuffed into his mouth. Then he was picked up and carried out the door.

Effie put down the phone, "That was the train station. They say that operative Tokyospike never cashed in the voucher for the ticket. He never got on the train. What's going on Sam? What's happening?

Third check-in is over, and we lot one.

Sam Spades Team of Operatives

1. Pepin - vintage grail razor***2018***

3. johnwick - One Timeless baseplate swap
4. Ruckin–No exception***2018***
5. mikelz777 - No exception***2018***
7. Shave_Rat - New scuttle***2018***

8. meanpr - No exception
11. Vespasian- No exception
13. KQY61 - No Exception ***2018***
14. martym - No exception ***2018***

15. VerbaVolant - one stainless razor.
17. Keen Edge - Blades
20. Howler - No Exception
23 GaryTha - No exceptions
22. JohnYaddy - OneBlade Razor ***2018***
24. AlphaFrank75 – Balm ***2018***
28. T.Orso - Unicorn hair shave brush (60% mane, 40% tail)***2018***

29. Ryanshh - 1 lapping film restock
30. Jamesearthdrum - Spool of PLA filament ***2018***
32. SpannerX - No exception
42. Mtnredhed - No exception***2018***
45. gsurko- No exceptions
48. byDoms - No Exception ***2018***
52. Spookmeister - Christopher Bradley razor
57. MuhleShaver - no exceptions ***2018***
58. CzechCzar - Muhle Rocca
59. Whisky- RazoRock SLOC
60. jldallas - Vintage DE razor
61. Macsen - Thayers Witch Hazel
67. Brian C. - No exception
68. Invicta - No exception
72. Heckle - mustache wax
73. FoxInfinitySunset - Synthetic brush***2018***
77. _Stormin_ - No Exception***2018***
79. 5Cantonas - Badger brush***2018***
86. psfred- Nickel plating supplies***2018***

88. mishkaya- No exception.
90. esetter – Variant razor ***2018***
91. Aziraphale - Hallows Soap and AS gift set
93. PhilC - No exception
94. CJB3 - New RR Game Changer release
97.Thomas Darkblade - No exception***2018***
98. dg33 – Shave brush ***2018***

100. Boghopper – Blades

The Opposition: Kasper Gutman Joel Cairo & their Henchmen

1. January 9th Operative No. 103 Bakker1964 - exception Karve OC razor - (OUT - Proraso pre-shave cream)
2. January 13th Operative No. 19 Azwetshaver - exception - strop, (OUT - brush)
3. January 25th, Operative Ruva #36: exception – Witch Hazel. (OUT – Barbersol 100th Anniversary can)
4. February 2nd Operative No. 82 Haggises - Exception: Schick repeater. (Out - David Beckahm Instinct Aftershave)
5. February 4th Operative No. 76 Saxtont47 - Exception witch hazel. (Out - Simpson`s Duke 3 brush)
6. February 4th Operative No. 87 bdehne – No exception. (Out – Volga razor)
7. February 7th Operative No. 92. Mtn.Man – No exception. (Out – shiny BST buy)
8. February 9th Operative No. 44. Slipknot – No exception. (Out – Captains Choice & CRSW shave soap)
9. February 9th Operative No. 63 Clay S - Birth year/quarter razor (out – vintage Avon aftershave bottle for Pinaud Clubman Musk)
10. February 10th Operative No. 84 Hannah’s Dad - British #15 tune-up (out – FatBoy)
11. February 13th Operative No. 85 Sharp’s- Char Gds – (out – Grand Shave King razor)
12. February 13th Operative No. 37 Somnos - Full version: Shaving Buddy app.
(out - mint Aristocrat #66 set + NOS made in England travelling set)
13. February 17th Operative No. 40. Yminoh - No exception. (out – Charcoal Goods razor)
14. February 23rd Operative No. 26 Heron - Exception shave soap. (OUT - Harry's mail order razor)
15. February 24th Operative No. 83. Luecke2326: Exception straight razor. (OUT - EPIC treewhale of a barbers supply)
16. February 24th Operative No. 16. Galaktus: No exception. (OUT - self withdraw)
17. February 24th Operative No. 64 KW Driver: Exception Trac II blades. (OUT - self withdraw)
18. February 26th Operative No. 10 Kevdogg329: Exception Aftershave. (OUT - shave cream & cartridges)
19. March 2nd Operative No. 51. karhu: No exception. (OUT – Rockwell 6S Razor)
20. March 3rd Operative No. 66 Boar Fighter: No exception. (OUT - two synthetic shave brushes)
21. March 4th Operative No. 31 pbrmhl - Exception Charcoal Goods razor. (OUT - 4 bottles Chatillon Lux aftershave)
22. March 7th Operative No. 78 Neffarious: Exception pre-shave. (OUT - Shave Mac 24mm brush)
23. March 9th Operative No. 39 Nick Weepers: Exception Mike’s Bay Rum (OUT – NOS Old Spice soap in mug)
24. March 11th Operative No. 18 SAMB08: Exception Aftershave splash. (OUT – vintage 9/16 Genco Old Dutch straight)
25. March 11th Operative No. 35 deafficianado: No exception (OUT - Raw Shaving razor)
26. March 12th Operative No. 38 Joncr: No exception. (OUT - Gillette Skinguard cartridge)
27. March 15th Operative No. 65 Rev579: Exception 1 Vintage Grail Razor (OUT - 2 vintage ABC razor sets)
28. March 16th Operative No. 70 Dundak: No exception (OUT - mystery blue-light deal)
29. March 23rd Operative No. 2. Rockviper: No exception (OUT - Simpson's synthetic Chubby #2 brush)
30. March 30th Operative No. 55 AZBronco: Exception Tuxedo knot brush. (OUT – Stirling Coconut Lime & Glacial Lemon soap)
31. April 2nd Operative No. 47 Music: Exception Stirling post-shave balm. (OUT - hard to find mystery soap )
32. April 2nd Operative No. 9. Tony D: Exception shave soap. (OUT - binge soap buying)
33. April 6th Operative No. 43 Sotiris_A: No Exception. (OUT - Simpson's best badger brushes)
34. April 8th Operative No. 102 Kluber: Exception Tabac soap. (OUT - MDC soap)
35. April 13th Operative No. 96 StuartT: No exception (OUT - German Ralf Aust 6/8 straight razor)
36. April 14th Operative No. 6 Laird: Exception Cap & Chris restoration & replate New (Self declared -OUT)
37. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 101 Midoio – No exception (OUT)
38. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 81 MarsEnglish - no exception (OUT)
39. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 71 Treebeard - No exception (OUT)
40. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 54 jamiecm - no exception (OUT)
41. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No 46 TreadwayJohnA - No Exceptions (OUT)
42. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 12 barko78 - witch hazel (OUT)
43. April 29th Operative No. 95 tsimmns: Exception OneBlade V1 with a GEM (OUT- shaving cream/soap)
44. May 13th Operative No. 50 ShavingPanda: Exception Tabac aftershave (OUT - Charcoal razor)
45. Jun. 5th Operative No. 74 Shaved Fish: No exception (OUT - shave balm)
46. Jun. 9th Operative No. 41. Andromeda673: No Exception (OUT - shave soap)
47. Jun. 16th Operative No. 75 bjm: No exception (OUT - two boar brushes)
48. Jun. 27th Operative No. 21 emwolf: No exceptions (OUT - adjustable razor in brass)
49. Jul. 2nd Operative No. 89 Kcmodan: Exception 1 zenith horse hair brush (OUT - Kai Captain Excelia)
50. Jul. 4th Operative No. 56. Sabin: No exception (OUT - samples from Maggards)
51. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 53 Ajwien: no exception (OUT)
52. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 33 krow: No exceptions (OUT)
53. Jul. 12th Operative No. 49 Jim99: Exception Schick injector blades (OUT - Schick razor & blades)
54. Aug. 3rd Operative No. 27 ‘Bout Time: Exception Tallow & Steel Limited Release (OUT - 2 red & black sets)
55. Aug. 4th Operative No. 34cZed117: Exception Karve OC (OUT - copper shave bowl)
56. Aug. 12th Operative No. 80 Sgemmett: No exception (OUT - Rex Ambassador razor)
57. Aug. 14th Operative No. 25 bobmsp: Exception Grooming Dept. Pre-shave (OUT - 100 blade supply)
58. Aug. 30th Operative No. 99 Rico Suave: Exception blades (OUT - Blackland Vector razor)
59. Oct. 2nd Operative No. 62 Noodles: Exception Post-shave balm (OUT - 2 Silvertip shave brushes)
60. Oct. 12th "Lost in Action" Operative 69 Tokyospike: Exception Menthol crystals (OUT)

1570938904889.png

So thinking of going for the 2020 challenge, what sort of quantities do you need for a years shaving? Couple of soaps, 100 blades! Still in my first six months so not actually used up any soaps yet or settled on a razor or blade type.

So thinking of going for the 2020 challenge, what sort of quantities do you need for a years shaving? Couple of soaps, 100 blades! Still in my first six months so not actually used up any soaps yet or settled on a razor or blade type.

The first thing a person needs is a commitment to complete the challenge. Everyone has different reasons.
Secondly, they need to read the rules carefully. They are in the early posts on this forum. There are some technicalities that can boot people unexpectedly and others that can save them.

I read through your posts, and you mentioned you bin your blades somewhere below five shaves. You'd likely be better off with 200 blades. The number of shaves in a puck of soap varies widely among shavers. Some people get 30 shaves from a puck of Williams. Others get 200. I recommend starting with twice as much soap as you think you need.

I don't use any pre-shave items.

For hardware, if you break your ONLY razor or another piece of hardware, you can buy a replacement. If you run out of software, you are out of luck. You can mention it in the forum, and people may offer to send you some.

I won't be resupplying before 2020 as I have plenty leftover from this year. I'll list soap as an exception. This is what I'll start the year with:
  • Van Der Hagen Razor (Weishi short handle clone)
  • Future Clone Razor (I may give this away before the start of the year)
  • Cremo Horsehair Brush
  • 2 2/3 pucks Williams Mug Soap
  • 70 blades - Gillette Wilkinson Sword and Astra SP
  • Shaving 'mug' (3/4 cup plastic measuring cup)
  • Blade bin (international coffee container)
  • Postal scale
By the way, I'm a minimalist. There is nothing wrong with spending thousands on supplies before starting.

For me, during the restock period, I think I'm down to a puck of Tabac, maybe 2. It's my favorite soap right now, works great, and my 2nd favorite is currently out due to 'reasons' that won't be gone into due to the rules of this forum. I don't need to change things that currently work. I might pick up a sleeve of blades that catch my eye, and that's about it.

Just finished off a bottle of Dr. Jon's 1803 aftershave. I liked the scent, but it is unique (probably a little divisive), lasts all day, and has really strong silage. I generally felt like "that guy" in the elevator or crowded rooms when I wore it so I usually only wore it on weekends and when I didn't worry about office meetings. Great performing product, but it took me probably 5 years to finish it up so I won't be buying it again.

Still out!

Minimalist here.
I missed the start of this year’s sabbatical. Good people came up with GRUME later on, and I joined.
Will be in next year with no exception. I’ve good understanding of what I need, plus one brand new brick of Panama that should last me the whole year.
Strangely enough, I’ve no interest in razors and brushes. Got one of each, plus travel set. Soaps are my nemesis; and this will have to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom