What's new

Floris shaving soap

The original tallow version was without a doubt some of the finest soap ever made.
Unfortunately the new non tallow version is a great disappointment.
The later non tallow versions have been reported as somewhat better.

Hope that helps

Agree with Jim. I've used the vintage stuff and there really isn't anything better.

Some iterations of the modern Floris cakes are good, my last was from about eight years ago and it lathers pretty good but not quite like the vintage stuff. Quite usable and satisfactory though.

Anything made since then I cannot comment on as I have not tried it.

My general impression though is that a lot of these traditional purveyors don't care if their hard soaps go away as there is far less profit from them. I think they eventually will do away with them and push folks to their creams which they make much more profit from.

Good luck.

Chris

Tried a NOS Floris #89 puck in May. Fantastic scent. Best of the best. The performance was epically bad. Hard as a rock and latherless.

Cant understand why all these brands are all taking tallow out of there products!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant understand why all these brands are all taking tallow out of there products!!!

Vegans hate monkeys, tropical birds and jungles. The coconut/palm oil cosmetic and food industry is destroying mother earth through deforestation. But these people are heartless. They even prefer refined oil based products over badger/boar fur. Just think what oil does to the oceans and the ozone layer.

Vegans hate monkeys, tropical birds and jungles. The coconut/palm oil cosmetic and food industry is destroying mother earth through deforestation. But these people are heartless. They even prefer refined oil based products over badger/boar fur. Just think what oil does to the oceans and the ozone layer.

I just want tallow, tallow in my soaps.

Ok well, if you hear of anyone selling a tallow version of floris.....please let me know [emoji6]

Well, it's same as DR Harris or Cyril R. Salter. They didn't change the OEM supplier. First ingredient is tallow.

My general impression though is that a lot of these traditional purveyors don't care if their hard soaps go away as there is far less profit from them. I think they eventually will do away with them and push folks to their creams which they make much more profit from.

They are now rolling out the improved vegan formula with first ingredient Potassium (not Sodium) Palmate. They obviously care about not selling an inferior product but made a wrong business decision based on ideology (similar to what Gillette did).

They are now rolling out the improved vegan formula with first ingredient Potassium (not Sodium) Palmate. They obviously care about not selling an inferior product but made a wrong business decision based on ideology (similar to what Gillette did).

Not Penhaligon's. Bye, bye soaps so far with them. Who's next?

And honestly, it looks like Penhaligon's is exiting the shaving market altogether but who knows. So it may not be the best reference but they were once great and guys loved their offerings.

Hey, if the vegan formula works out for soaps then great for all of us. So far though it's been a crapshoot.

Here's hoping.

Chris

Tried a NOS Floris #89 puck in May. Fantastic scent. Best of the best. The performance was epically bad. Hard as a rock and latherless.

I also had a horrible experience with #89, way back when. I gave Floris JF a try a couple of years ago and was pleased with the performance. The scent was fantastic, and whipped up into a nice lather easily enough.

had good experience with Floris shave soap; circa five years old puck.
not greatest lather, but quite ok. nice scent.

floris elite ed jagger kent april 13 2015.jpg

The old tallow formula Floris was fantastic stuff, with some great scents and top notch performance. My father used it for decades and wouldn't have anything else. The veg formula they replaced it with (a long time ago now, 15 years, maybe?) was terrible and my dad just didn't understand why he couldn't produce a decent lather any more. The more recent version I tried a few years ago was better than that. The scent was great but the lather was just average, if that. There are much better veg-based soaps around, and for a lot less money.

Top Bottom