What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

A member here offered a great way to safely remove the blade from the plate.

He said to turn the blade and plate over onto a towel with the blade down then gently push on one side of the plate with your finger. This disconnects the blade easily and safely.

I've tried it and it works great.

You will get used to it. Also depends on the blade used. I have found Feathers don't fit as tight as an Astra SP.

You will get used to it. Also depends on the blade used. I have found Feathers don't fit as tight as an Astra SP.
I used a feather today for my 2nd shave with the razor. So rough. Blood everywhere. Oh the humanity. And I almost exclusively use feathers.

Only have my Game Changer for a couple weeks, but I’ve been seeing great results using a Personna Lab Blue. I’ll be trying Med Preps this week to see if there’s any difference.

I have tried a bunch of blade combos in both the standard OC and the Jaws. I found my favorite combination to be the Jaws with a Voskhod. I normally use sharper blades like Polsilver or 7 O’clock black, but I get a closer shave with the Jaws/Voskhod and don’t lose any comfort over the standard OC. YMMV but might be worth giving them a shot if you aren’t getting along the with GC.

proxy.php

Recently sold one with 0.68 and 0.84 base plates. Fine razor no complaints. Wouldn't say I was 'not happy' with it just didn't use it. Reached for the Triangle or Oval Fat Handle Techs or the SLOC instead.

Recently sold one with 0.68 and 0.84 base plates. Fine razor no complaints. Wouldn't say I was 'not happy' with it just didn't use it. Reached for the Triangle or Oval Fat Handle Techs or the SLOC instead.
Interesting you didn’t come to use the .68 more. If I had to describe it, I would more closely associate the .68 plate as a nearly identical shave to a prewar Tech with perhaps a tad more efficiency. The Tech might have the advantage in a slimmer head profile though.

Interesting you didn’t come to use the .68 more. If I had to describe it, I would more closely associate the .68 plate as a nearly identical shave to a prewar Tech with perhaps a tad more efficiency. The Tech might have the advantage in a slimmer head profile though.
I don't find the .68 to be anywhere near the efficiency of the Prewar tech. I've tried two, neither could give me a three pass shave that matched my Prewar with two passes. I will say, though, that the .68 is another and less likely to bite.

I think you're spot on. RR is looking at a machined SLOC. From the twitter pic I'll speculate greater thickness and covered tabs which if in the retail offering I'll have to pass.

proxy.php

Shaved with .84 today and yesterday with a voskhod. 👌🏼. I received the razor on Friday and started with a GSB which was good then a feather which did a number on me. I usually use feathers with my Rockwell 6s. I threw a voskhod in and off to the races. Two consecutive days of perfect bbs irritation free shaves. I love this razor.

Shaved with .84 today and yesterday with a voskhod. 👌🏼. I received the razor on Friday and started with a GSB which was good then a feather which did a number on me. I usually use feathers with my Rockwell 6s. I threw a voskhod in and off to the races. Two consecutive days of perfect bbs irritation free shaves. I love this razor.

If you had to compare the GC 84 and the Rockwell, which would you say was smoother? What would you say the pros and cons of each are?

The 6s is my daily driver, but I’m trying to decide if I want to add a GC 84 to my den... that, or a Karve in brass... it’s proven to be a tough decision!

If you had to compare the GC 84 and the Rockwell, which would you say was smoother? What would you say the pros and cons of each are?

The 6s is my daily driver, but I’m trying to decide if I want to add a GC 84 to my den... that, or a Karve in brass... it’s proven to be a tough decision!
For me they are both smooth but the 6S isn't as efficient. The GC .84 is one of the most comfortable razors I've got. I've got the brass Karve with a C plate and it's slightly smoother and efficient than the GC.84. I've just gotten the .84P OC plate. Only used it twice. Seems smooth and not too aggressive and not remarkably different than the .84 SB plate, for me that is.

For me they are both smooth but the 6S isn't as efficient. The GC .84 is one of the most comfortable razors I've got. I've got the brass Karve with a C plate and it's slightly smoother and efficient than the GC.84. I've just gotten the .84P OC plate. Only used it twice. Seems smooth and not too aggressive and not remarkably different than the .84 SB plate, for me that is.
When discussing the Rockwell 6s relative to other razors, it might help with the comparison to mention which plate your are using.

That’s great to hear! Sounds like the GC might be a good purchase for me... but then you mentioned that the Karve C plate was smoother and more efficient!?!? This is a tough one...

When discussing the Rockwell 6s relative to other razors, it might help with the comparison to mention which plate your are using.

Good point, I totally blanked on that in my original post. I use the R4 plate, and I was thinking of purchasing the GC 84 or the Karve with a C plate.

That’s great to hear! Sounds like the GC might be a good purchase for me... but then you mentioned that the Karve C plate was smoother and more efficient!?!? This is a tough one...

Good point, I totally blanked on that in my original post. I use the R4 plate, and I was thinking of purchasing the GC 84 or the Karve with a C plate.
The Karve with the C plate for me is very comparable to the GC.84. I think I prefer the Karve a bit more because of the other plate options. I have a D SB and C OC on their way to me. I also really like the brass look.

The Karve with the C plate for me is very comparable to the GC.84. I think I prefer the Karve a bit more because of the other plate options. I have a D SB and C OC on their way to me. I also really like the brass look.

Yeah, the different base plates are a real selling point for me too. I’ve really enjoyed fine tuning my shave with the Rockwell plates over the last year!

Top Bottom