What's new

Merkur 34c HD

The vintage Gillettes are cool and built to last, but the Merkurs give me the best shaves. I think it boils down to the blade curve, but it doesn't really matter - the results do. I got the Progress because I wanted a 34c but more so. It is great but ultimately you can't improve on perfection. I switch between my Progress, 34c and my '55 speedy and Slim, but I keep going back to the 34c. I get great shaves with everything from Voskhods to Feathers (but I favor GSBs and Polsilvers).

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The 34C was my second DE razor. I think it is one of the absolute best DE's to learn with as it tends to lend a forgiving mild shave.

It's interesting to see it brought up now as I just lent mine to a coworker who was interested in trying wet shaving for the first time...I gifted him a bowl, some Williams, a pack of Astra's and Feathers and a 1967 Super Speed as well. I'm hoping he catches the wet shaving bug. Perhaps we'll see him in the newbie thread soon!

A terrific razor, especially when paired with a sharp blade. It was my very first razor and it’ll always have a place in my den! My face puts at a “4” out of “10” with regard to efficiency. But the resulting shaves are mostly 10/10!

34c with a shim and Astra SP blade...

Amazing shave!

I love Astra blades and haven’t used one in years until today.

So smooth!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious as to why you shim your 34c? Are you taking an old blade and trimming the sharpened edges off? Is it giving a different angle or increasing the blade gap?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Amazing shave!

I love Astra blades and haven’t used one in years until today.

So smooth!!

Curious as to why you shim your 34c? Are you taking an old blade and trimming the sharpened edges off? Is it giving à different angle or increasing the blade gap?

Curious as to why you shim your 34c? Are you taking an old blade and trimming the sharpened edges off? Is it giving à different angle or increasing the blade gap?

Yes i am taking a blade and cutting the sharp edges off.

It increases the blade gap a bit and makes the razor a bit more efficient.

Unlike many at B&B I'm not a razor collector - I did a lot of research on the best choice when I began DE shaving about 8 years ago, and haven't looked back. The 34C HD is the only razor I own (I'm about to buy a Merkur slant bar, but haven't yet) and it's been a consistent performer. The weight is wonderful and has done everything I'd like a razor to do, regardless of blade. It's definitely a mild razor, but as has already been said, paired with a sharp blade, it produces consistent, lovely shaves.

I have the 34C and it is my go to razor right now. I started a little over a year with it, and now am trying other razors, but I find myself coming back to the 34C every time. So far other razors tried are: Wilkinson Sword TTO and Wet Shaving Club Vintage Style 3 piece. I just received the Maggard Razors Slant and V3M heads and two handles. I am waiting on a Black Tiger, and a Sumatra from Global Shave Club. I would like to get the Fine Supperlite Slant, a vintage Gillette Tech, Steam, and Ice from Global Shave Club, and a Rockwell 6C. So many cool razors out there I would love to try. Plenty of time to try them still for now.

I purchased a Merkur 38c and love it. The only reason I opted for the 38c was because I wanted a longer handle.

Likewise, I'm not interested in collecting razors. Now that I've found a few that shave well, I'm all set. My experimentation will be with blades and soaps, not razors.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Just bought one. Still trying to find out for myself, concerning the 'great debate' on this Forum surrounding this razor's aggressiveness and whether it's more or less aggressive than my 42C? (another great efficient razor) There's certainly a mystery surrounding these razors, that cannot be quantified about their efficiency compared with say my EJ89/R89 IMHO

I think most everyone would agree that the 34c is a mild razor but with a sharp blade definitely gets the job done.

Merkur&Feather.JPG

Absolutely still use it! I’ll use it when I shave my head on consecutive days as it’s much less aggressive than my other .95 OC Timeless. My hair is still just short enough where I can get by with the less aggressive 34C. Will use the timeless when over a days growth

not my favorite razor, but one of the five that see regular use. i'm sure i'd like the 38c better, as i often wish it had a longer handle.

Yup. My 34c is my travel razor because I usually shave more frequently when I’m on the road. I use a 37c slant when I’m at home and am usually tackling 3-4 days of growth.

I purchased a Merkur 38c and love it. The only reason I opted for the 38c was because I wanted a longer handle.

Likewise, I'm not interested in collecting razors. Now that I've found a few that shave well, I'm all set. My experimentation will be with blades and soaps, not razors.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Does the 38C have the same had as the 34C? I have a 34C, but I definitely prefer a longer handle (I have pretty large hands)

Top Bottom