What's new

Rockwell 6S Efficiency: Rex Ambassador better?

Hi, everyone,

I love my Rockwell 6S (w/GSB). I generally use it on Plate 4 /2. For the first two passes (N>S and XTG) and on the third pass (ATG) Plate 2. It's a great shaver, very smooth no irritation. Right from the beginning, I found Plate 1 /3 useless. I usually shave every two or three days.

Sometimes, though it doesn't get as close as I would expect. At first, I thought it was angle, but I'm not sure anymore. I'm considering moving to Plate 5 /6, but wanted to get some input. I'm also considering the Rex because it seems on lower settings, it is still very efficient plus, the added features of the blade sides being covered by the cap and not having to switch plates mid-shave would be nice. Though these are more conveniences than anything else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DW.

I owned both razors at one time but sold both. My experience with the 6S was similar to your....very smooth but not terribly efficient. The Rex was much more efficient but gave me awful razor burn, even on the low settings.

I owned both razors at one time but sold both. My experience with the 6S was similar to your....very smooth but not terribly efficient. The Rex was much more efficient but gave me awful razor burn, even on the low settings.
Interesting. What did you end up going with?

Interesting. What did you end up going with?

94E36A34-5547-42DB-893D-26E15D5A15F4.jpeg

I still waiting for my turn to try Rex so can't comment. But I had 6C which I was using with plate 4 but I wasn't satisfied how close the shave was so I I ended up here and tried many vintage and modern razors before I found what I was looking for.
But before you go heavy and expensive route why not to try vintage adjustables, Slim, Black Beauty, Fatboy?

I know you mentioned it before but I keep forgetting, what's the second from the left?

Razorock Game Changer .84. By the way, I agree with your suggestion about trying the vintage Gillette adjustables. I get great shaves from my Super 84 and Slim, in that order.

Razorock Game Changer .84. By the way, I agree with your suggestion about trying the vintage Gillette adjustables. I get great shaves from my Super 84 and Slim, in that order.
Oh, OK you just got it plated
From vintage adjustables Slim is my favorite. I didn't use my Black Beauty 109 for a while so will do it tonight to see if I still want to keep it. I never tried the 84 so maybe I should. Fatboy is too heavy for my liking

I have both.
The Rockwell is incredibly smooth and easy going. Very forgiving. Before the Rex I used plate 6 or 4.
Then I switched to the Rex. You have Lots more blade feel even on low settings. I use the Rex at 1.5 usually. The Rex is more efficient Yes but it lifted my technique to a new Level and gives smooth shaves though very much different from the Rockwells shaves.
After a few months I grabbed the Rockwell again. Now I get very good shaves on Plate 2 and great ones at plate 4. In my opinion the Rockwell requires more attention to map your beard growth. The only area the Rex is always better is around the Adams Apple.

At the Moment I ended up rotating between the two razors. And Yes I love both.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Wow, I’ve never had reason to think I was dyslexic before, but now I’m starting to wonder! Ok, my other left. Sorry, about that. It’s the aluminum Karve.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. In terms of a vintage Gillette, which one has a handle length similar to 6S/Rex? How does this one rate?

DW!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. In terms of a vintage Gillette, which one has a handle length similar to 6S/Rex? How does this one rate?

DW!
The razor you posted is a super speed not an adjustable. It is a mild razor that shaves well once you get the right angle. May I reccomend putting a Kai blade in your rockwell 6S it will increase the blade exposure a small amount and may give you the closeness you desire.

Top Bottom