What's new

Brisk by Barbasol

I just received a package from Amazon containing my razor blades. It also included a 5 ounce bottle of after shave called Brisk made my Barbasol. The invoice included had someone else's name and address on it.

I contacted Amazon. I'm more than willing to send it back since I didn't pay for it [and I didn't. I checked.] However I didn't want to pay for shipping.

They told me to keep it.

It smells like mouthwash.

Had anyone used it?

I hear it's good stuff for the price. If I could get AS shipped I'd order some myself. Then again I need to make it clear I love the cheaper stuff. Sometimes called drug store brands.

Barbasol Brisk is my go-to summer juice (along with Florida Water).
It has a nice menthol blast, much in the same vein as Skin Bracer or AV.

I just received a package from Amazon containing my razor blades. It also included a 5 ounce bottle of after shave called Brisk made my Barbasol. The invoice included had someone else's name and address on it.

I contacted Amazon. I'm more than willing to send it back since I didn't pay for it [and I didn't. I checked.] However I didn't want to pay for shipping.

They told me to keep it.

Had anyone used it?

It's not rare. Until recently Dollar General sold it for $1.65 per bottle, so some of the value shoppers among us use it (I have two and a half bottles on hand.) So you see why it didn't make sense for anyone to send it back. It's like a stronger scented Skin Bracer. It provides menthol cooling. If you like that you'll like this.

It's not rare. Until recently Dollar General sold it for $1.65 per bottle, so some of the value shoppers among us use it.

I'm in that camp. When my AAD kicked in (aftershave acquisition disorder), I was picking up anything I could find. Usually more than one bottle. Now over the years, Brisk has found itself in the bottom half of my rotation, not seeing a lot of use. On the other hand, Barbasol Pacific Rush is in the top half and is one I'd call a favorite.

I'm in that camp. When my AAD kicked in (aftershave acquisition disorder), I was picking up anything I could find. Usually more than one bottle. Now over the years, Brisk has found itself in the bottom half of my rotation, not seeing a lot of use. On the other hand, Barbasol Pacific Rush is in the top half and is one I'd call a favorite.
I feel the same about the Barbasol Pacific Rush. Why Barbasol discontinued it I will never know? I have resorted to Barbasol Brisk at Dollar General under 2 bucks but, now DG has discontinued selling that as well.

It's a Skin Bracer clone. Some smell a difference but I don't.

To me there is a difference though something in it irritated my skin while Skin Bracer did not.

Chris

I feel the same about the Barbasol Pacific Rush. Why Barbasol discontinued it I will never know? I have resorted to Barbasol Brisk at Dollar General under 2 bucks but, now DG has discontinued selling that as well.

Drugstore aftershaves in general seem to be dying out.

Dollar stores are not stocking Vi-Jon Spice Scent anymore, from what I gather.

Some younger men don't use aftershave anymore. Or they use more "artisan", alcohol-free type products and less so the inexpensive mass-market toiletries.

I ordered some Barbasol Brisk just because it was cheap (3 bucks a bottle) and I like menthol aftershave splashes. I'll have to see how it goes- reviews are generally favorable.

Last edited:

They told me to keep it.

Had anyone used it?

Used it last Saturday. Brisk is like Skin Bracer, only more so. It feels like it has more menthol than Skin Bracer. If you like Skin Bracer, Brisk is worth a try.

Check out any store-brand "Brisk" aftershave, it's basically the same stuff as the Barbasol Brisk.

In my honest opinion Barbasol Brisk it's very good stuff, with a more subtle scent than Skin Bracer but yet more powerful menthol punch.

You can go wrong with this one, great manly retro scent that leaves your face feeling smooth and refreshed.!!

Did I mention that I'm a menthol frick :biggrin1:

Robert.

I got some of the Brisk today.

It smells exactly like aftershaves I've bought in dollar stores. It's also reminiscent of some Adidas aftershaves I have tried in the past.

There is a sweet, fresh, green note in the top notes of this fragrance that is a bit jarring (sort of like Lilac Vegetal) Could be due to the bottle? Or maybe it's just an aldehyde I am smelling or possibly a green or tobacco note? It smells a bit like plastic outgassing, or walking past the garden section of a department store, and it fades quickly once it dries down. It could be due to some wierd synergy between the menthol and the oakmoss, too.

The overall character of the scent is more modern than Skin Bracer. This has a bit of a "Cool Water" type vibe to it. It's still a fougere ,but much more modern.

But, all in all I can't complain too much. You will pay more than 3 bucks for 5 ounces of perfumer's alcohol. And for being so cheap, it actually does a decent job of skin calming and conditioning. In fact I think it might be better than Skin Bracer in that department.

Last edited:
BTW, I think I found the culprit by reading the ingredients:

Hexyl salicylate gives a witch hazel or orchid impression, and probably accounts for the bracing green note I detected. Pell Well gives this description also of hexyl salicylate:

Pell Wall Perfumes
Hexyl Salicylate
Odor Description:Mild, balsamic, fresh, herbal, floral, typical salicylate character, good blending agent.
Arctander has quite a bit to say about it and starts by describing its odour: “Very faint, sweet-herbaceous and floral odor with dry-bark-like green undertones, sometimes referred to as �Witch-Hazel-odor’. Poorer grades of this ester may be responsible for odor descriptions including the terms �phenolic’ or �ink-like’ (which also refers to �phenolic’ in a secondary way) or �metallic’. Pure Hexyl salicylate (with no free Phenolate other than the esterificd Salicylic acid) has a definitely floral odor.”

"Phenolic" is an apt description. That usually is associated with a green tobacco note. To my nose it smells like tomato plants we had when we were kids (not surprising since tomato and tobacco are so closely related).

Last edited:
Top Bottom