What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Everyone approaches this thing with different levels of seriousness but in my opinion, yes, it does defeat the purpose and the spirit of the sabbatical. I mean how hard is it to successfully complete the "sabbatical" when one buys a bunch of new stuff at the beginning of each year? I think the rules allow for a purchase of something if one is totally out of a necessary item so everything else is basically a want and not a need. I'm in it for the challenge of reducing what I already have. There are a few aftershaves I would like to buy because I'm out of them and kind of miss them but I still have so many other aftershaves to use up so I'm not going to do it. For me it's a nice exercise in self-control which is translating to other areas of my life as well.

Amen.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I’m kind of looking forward to resupplying. Does that defeat the purpose?
Maybe some Pannacrema Blu? RR The Dead Sea?
More Speick. Try Proraso Green AS?

From the rules:
"The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimizers (this is me), denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your ADs, prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road."

I'd like to get in a true buy to replace routine unfettered by the Sabbatical rules. However, I can get close using resupply periods and exceptions. I don't anticipate needing to buy anything for 2020.

1570697897525.png

Hi,

Well, the restraint ends and without the two week open period for those wishing to continue for another year, the only option would be to not continue. The purpose of the restraint is to force one to think long about what they want and not buy willy nilly. It is not about not buying anything other than replacements for what you used up.

Stan

With the holidays rapidly approaching, could someone fill me in on the rules of gift cards related to shaving?

For example, if I were to proactively solicit a gift card from my mom for receipt on Christmas, with no plans of using it until January 1st, does this put me out? Must they only be non-solicited gifts despite being so close to the end of the year if received on Christmas? @Pepin thanks!

With the holidays rapidly approaching, could someone fill me in on the rules of gift cards related to shaving?

For example, if I were to proactively solicit a gift card from my mom for receipt on Christmas, with no plans of using it until January 1st, does this put me out? Must they only be non-solicited gifts despite being so close to the end of the year if received on Christmas? @Pepin thanks!

That would put you out. Just ask for the gift card on the first.

Read the rules carefully on non-solicited gifts. Basically, it's a grey area, and you get to decide.

From the rules:
"The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimizers (this is me), denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your ADs, prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road."

I'd like to get in a true buy to replace routine unfettered by the Sabbatical rules. However, I can get close using resupply periods and exceptions. I don't anticipate needing to buy anything for 2020.

Will you run the sabbatical next year? You have been good at tracking the progress this year.

The rules have been around for several years with no issues. For some reason there have been several grumblings about the rules this year. Two even dropped out early in the year over it.
The sabbatical is there to help (with a fun story line) members from spending their hard earned money. The only exceptions have been your one item, the charity auction, and emergencies (there was one person whose house got flooded last year)

I finally succeeded in 2018, and during the restock period only replaced a couple of items. The sabbatical has helped me from spending on items I do not really need.

I see absolutely no problems with the rules as they stand. I see no reason to change them. They have served well for years and should serve well into the future also.

I plan on joining next year without an exception the same as I did this year. It has helped me greatly from sliding down the rabbit hole any worse than I already was.

Personally, I feel if you don’t feel the rules suit you, then you should not join, but that’s just my opinion.

@Pepin, I am certainly appreciative of you running this and hope you are able to continue doing so.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

From the rules:

Will you run the sabbatical next year? You have been good at tracking the progress this year.

The rules have been around for several years with no issues. For some reason there have been several grumblings about the rules this year. Two even dropped out early in the year over it.
The sabbatical is there to help (with a fun story line) members from spending their hard earned money. The only exceptions have been your one item, the charity auction, and emergencies (there was one person whose house got flooded last year)

I finally succeeded in 2018, and during the restock period only replaced a couple of items. The sabbatical has helped me from spending on items I do not really need.

@Pepin,
I didn't mean for my post to sound as if I was complaining about the rules. I only buy two things: Williams Mug Soap and blades. I can work those in as exceptions and meet my minimalist goal and my buy to replace goal.

When I replace hardware, it will qualify as an emergency.

I can't. I had a couple of sudden absences this year due to medical issues. One of them lasted a full month. I may have them again next year.

Sorry to hear that you have had health issues. Hope that you get well, and have a great year(s).

@Pepin,
I didn't mean for my post to sound as if I was complaining about the rules. I only buy two things: Williams Mug Soap and blades. I can work those in as exceptions and meet my minimalist goal and my buy to replace goal.

When I replace hardware, it will qualify as an emergency.

Hi,

I was wondering if to put that part of my message on a separate post. I in no way think that you have complained.
I apologize if it came out that way.

My comments were more directed to posts earlier in the year where it seemed that many disagreed with the rules, or tried to find creative ways around them.

Sorry about that.

Hi,

Well, the restraint ends and without the two week open period for those wishing to continue for another year, the only option would be to not continue. The purpose of the restraint is to force one to think long about what they want and not buy willy nilly. It is not about not buying anything other than replacements for what you used up.

Stan
+1
Doing this restraint has made me think long and hard about stuff I really want. If I hadn't been on the restraint, I would have probably bought many things this year and likely wouldn't have been happy with some of them. When you have a year to ponder a purchase, I see nothing wrong with splurging on yourself if you want.

Each person joins the sabbatical for different reasons. I was able to completely upgrade my computer using money that probably would have bought another 20 soaps this year, for me that's a win.

I have yet to finish a soap or anything else this year lol.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hi,

Stan

bing bing bing! The restraint for me functions as a brake check - do I really, really need this? Given that I am prone to research, but I also like to buy things willy nilly, I typically end up with a bunch of good products I don't need.

Not being able to buy forces me to do more research, which always changes the products I would like.

I have gone from wanting a H&S, to a Carbon razor - both insanely expensive - to wanting a Fatip.

My research has, additionally, led me to conclude that with my delicate skin, cleansing oils work better than soaps. This has led to a complete rethinking of my showering routine, which in turn has led to the end of eczema for me.

Because I was restraining, my stock of soaps and creams has dwindled, and that is just what i want at this point because I have a bunch of shave oils to try.

+1
Doing this restraint has made me think long and hard about stuff I really want. If I hadn't been on the restraint, I would have probably bought many things this year and likely wouldn't have been happy with some of them. When you have a year to ponder a purchase, I see nothing wrong with splurging on yourself if you want.

Each person joins the sabbatical for different reasons. I was able to completely upgrade my computer using money that probably would have bought another 20 soaps this year, for me that's a win.

I have yet to finish a soap or anything else this year lol.
Stay on target!

Unfortunately yes, soliciting for gifts will put you out.

There is the charity auction, and the restock window at the beginning of January.

Hi,

Stan

After succeeding in a yearly sabbatical there has always been a restock window at the beginning of January for those who wish to sign up for another year.

It is up o the individual to pick up what he will need for the year.

Unfortunately yes, soliciting for gifts will put you out.

There is the charity auction, and the restock window at the beginning of January.

Understood and thank you for clarifying. The good news is that as long as I don’t ask for it, there’s no chance I’ll end up with one!

Oct. 2nd Operative No. 62 Noodles: (OUT - silvertip shave brushes)
Operative Noodles looked at the open suitcase on his bed; did he have everything he needed? He went over it in his mind; suit, under clothes, socks, dopp-kit, shirt. Something kept nagging at his brain, but what it was eluded him. Finally he threw up his arms and shut the case in exasperation. He put on his trench-coat and left his apartment with the suitcase. He had been shocked at his earlier meeting with Sam and Effie at the office. Seeing Sam with his arm in a sling, gave him cause to ponder the dangers of the assignment. They had lost 58 operatives so far. and how close were they to the Maltese Falcon-razor? And now here he was, in a taxi on his way to the airport. In a way that was nice, he would get to fly in a Constellation; he was looking forward to that experience.

After paying the taxi-driver he went and checked his luggage, with that safe he found a lounge and decided on a pre-flight drink or two. He sat back and enjoyed the view out onto the tarmac, watching the planes as they came and went. He had just finished his drink when a stewardess announced that they would be allowing boarding now. Operative Noodles grabbed his coat and hat, and followed the stewardess outside. it was windy as they crossed over to the staircase, and climbed on board. He settled himself into a comfortable chair, and waited for the take-off. He was too busy enjoying the sights of the Connie and its attractive crew members to notice the slim figure in a well tailored suit, and a fedora with the brim snapped down, pass his seat.

In short order they were rolling down the runway, and Noodles felt himself being pressed back in to his seat as the Connie left the ground and climbed. Once they had levelled off he ordered another drink, thinking perhaps he can get a phone number from the cute stewardess. What was that saying; coffee tea or me. He laughed to himself, and smiled.

Meanwhile Alexander Gillette observed from the back as Spade's operative was getting more drunk. He relaxed and waited, having only one drink and some snacks. About half way into the flight he noticed that most passengers were ether asleep or busy in conversations. He got up, pretending to need a stretch he made his way to the back of the airplane. Giving a quick look around he passed into a service room. There he saw a hatch, and opening it he found the luggage stack. He quickly climbed into the storage area, moving promptly he identified Noodles suitcase. Opening it up he made a couple of substitutions. It was only a few minutes and he was stepping back into the area. He stopped when a stewardess said; "I'm sorry sir but that area is off limits to the passengers". He smiled back, "No cause for alarm I was only looking for a snack before the meal." "Well all you need to do is push the button and one of us stewardess will come and see to your needs." Slim smiled and nodded, making his way back to his seat. The flight proved to be uneventful, and operative Noodles was quite happy when they landed. He had managed to get a phone number and promise for a dinner date from the cute stewardess. The good food and drink had made him drowsy, and he had to stifle a few yawns as he made his way to pickup his suitcase. He walked to the curb and hailed a cab, in the crush of people he again did not spot Slim getting a cab behind his. The two vehicles pulled into traffic and made their way downtown.

In his cab Slim watched as the taxi with Noodles in it pulled over to the front of the hotel. He asked his driver to go past and let him off at the next building. At the curb he watched Noodles walk in with his suitcase. Slim smiled and picked up his suitcase. He crossed the street and entered diner. There he ordered a coffee and sat by the window watching the front of the hotel. He sat and drank his coffee; and when he figured enough time had passed for Noodles to have checked in, he paid his bill and made his across to the hotel, and sauntered up to the front desk. There he managed to get a room on the floor below Noodles', and close to the elevator. He left instructions for any messages and made his way to his room and unpacked.

Slim pulled a bottle of bourbon from his valise, and poured a couple of fingers into a glass. As he sat sipping the liquid he pondered on as how long it would be before Noodles decided on a shave.

At the same time Noodles had finished unpacking and was looking at his watch. Feeling that the timing was perfect he took out the piece of paper with the stewardess's number. Smiling he dialled her number. It rang for a few rings before it was answered. breathing a sigh of relief Noodles asked if she would go to dinner with him, perhaps there was a good steakhouse that she could recommend. He said he would pick her up in a couple of hours, with a smile he bid his goodbye. As he walked to the washroom dreaming over her sweet soft voice, he stopped and stared at his reflection. Time for a shower and quick shave, he closed the door firmly.

Standing in front of the mirror with a towel wrapped about him, Noodles opened his dopp kit and took out his shave stick, brush and razor. Rubbing the soap over his stubble he then reached for the brush. Nice thing about a badger brush he thought, you do not need to soak it. He filled a glass with hot tap water and lowered the badger bristles into the water. As the brush was dunked, it began to fizz. Noodles jumped back startled, and let go of the brush; it now fell completely into the glass of water. There was something in the brush that was reacting violently with the water. Large bluish bubbles were forming and spilling out onto the sink, these burst and Noodles watched as the air took on a coloured tinge. He felt his throat constrict and staggered back towards the door. He slipped to the floor, trying struggle up to get the door open when everything blacked out.

Effie stood by her desk, phone to her ear, "I will contact you with his room. Please hold on" the operators voice said. Effie waited as it rang and rang. "I'm sorry there is no answer. Can you try later?" "Yes that will be fine." Effie hung up the phone, and turned to Sam. "He checked in a short while ago, but there is no answer."

Top Bottom