What's new

OCtober 2019

• Parker 26C
  • Gillette 7 o'clock Green (7)
  • Cella
  • UKN boar, face lathered
  • Master Well Comb Jade After Shave Lotion
Decided to use the milder Parker 26C to give my face some rest before I resume the Old Type OC bloodletting.

This is the first time using Cella since the beginning of 2019. Considering all the praise it garners, I had higher expectations than were met. However, today's lather was stellar. Guess I found the right combination brush, soap load, water, and lather time.

Don't discount the phase of the Moon :laugh:

OCtober shave no. 2

Same setup:

Gillette ball end old type/IP (2)
Semogue boar
Art of shaving tallow sandalwood
Lucky tiger aftershave tonic

Second shave with the old type. This razors great. I can definitely feel the blade on my face. I tried to use a steeper angle which worked nicely. Nice two pass shave to start my day.

proxy.php

OCtober 8

Pass 1: Boker Wiener Schaber SR
Pass 2 and multigrain/maelstrom touchup:
ATT R2 on 75mm Ti handle/Supermax Blue Diamond(2)
Cream: Palmolive menthol, rubbed in then painted on
Brush: Zenith short and scrubby
After: alum and Texas 10X Face Freezer AS

Fast, enjoyable DFS+. I remain impressed with the Supermax Blue Diamond, a very smooth and sharp shave in the ATT R2 today. It made up for the Boker, which needs a fresh finish.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This 7 O'Clock New Long Comb is a favorite of mine. It's on the mild side, but after 3 passes with a Dorco Prime blade, I had a very comfortable DFS. The Cella was lathered with a Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. What isn't in the pic is the Cella balm that I used for the first and last time. I like the sweet Marzipan (or Almond scent to us Yanks), so I foolishly thought that would be what the balm smells like....but no, like La Toja and all of the other great smelling soaps, the balms and after shaves have to apparently smell like cologne. It's too much for me, and SWMBO absolutely hates it. Foolish me, you have a signature scented soap, of course your balm would be something closer to Drakkar Noir than the soap scent...what was I thinking? :blink:

7 O'Clock New Long Comb | Dorco Prime | Cella | Yaqi Timberwolf | Cella Balm (not shown)
proxy.php

OCtober shave #6
Merkur 41C + US Personna Blue (3)
Face lather with Muhle XL and Tabac Original. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS+. No issues. No alum sting. Finished with AV Classic. Pleasant shave.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0016 - Edited (1).jpg

Wednesday 10.09.19 SOTD
TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Gillette ball end NEW LC gold / Feather (1)
Yaqi Ruby Handle 24mm 2-Band Badger
Williams Shaving Soap in a vintage mug
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

DSCF0013 - Edited.jpg

OCtober Shave #8

Razor: Gillette New LC
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Soap: Noble Otter – Flying Hide
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf Synthetic
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

I really enjoyed my shave today, it was a DFS for sure. :thumbsup:

Flintstone65

Razor: Goodfella
Blade: Rapira (1)
Soap: Wickham’s Scottish Heather
Brush: Razorock 400 butterscotch
You sir, are impressing me with your diverse razor collection. You've used a different razor every day so far, Mr. @Tanuki is hot on your trail with 7 and I'm in 3rd place along with @bdehne with 6 different razors used so far.

Let's keep those shaves going!!!

Other quick stats:
  • 76 Shavers have signed up for OCtober and 63 of them have posted at least one shave

• The Vintage versus Modern race is really too close to call:
    • 223 shaves recorded, 111 have been with a Vintage razor and 112 have been with a modern
    • The stats don't change much when you look at razor models: 92 different razors have been used, 45 Vintage and 47 Modern
  • In terms of DE blades: Astra's lead the race with 31 shaves, Nacet is next at 23 and Feathers have been used in 20 shaves
As your resident recorder/reporter, let me just say a big "thank you" -- it can be challenging keeping up with this many shavers and shaves, but you guys are doing a great job with your postings!!!

OCtober Shave 7

Open comb Gem MicroMatic razor
Carbon Steel SE blade (2)

Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

I was concerned when I loaded this blade. I've had them for a while and there were rust spots on the blade. The edge is still keen and delivered two great shaves so far.

Flintstone65

OCtober Shave 7

Open comb Gem MicroMatic razor
Carbon Steel SE blade (2)

Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

I was concerned when I loaded this blade. I've had them for a while and there were rust spots on the blade. The edge is still keen and delivered two great shaves so far.
I hear you -- I've had that issue with my carbon steel blades as well. I dry them, oil them, sing them to sleep, and the dang things still show rust the next time I use them -- but like you said, the rust doesn't hit the edge, and they shave really well. I don't know about you, but I can only get about 5 or so shaves out of a CS blade versus a SS PTFE-coated blade (10+ is the norm there); but the Carbon Steels are silky smooth for every shave and the SS blades can treat me harshly for the first shave or two.

Well I'm quite late to the game, but I'm in. I have several OC razors, including an ABC pocket, 1918 military, '34 & '36 Aristocrat, RFB's, & Goodwill's. I'll try to remember to post each day with my SOTD.

Oct 8

Razor: Otto Roth LC
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Tabac (the puck is thin, hope it lasts the rest of the month)
Balm: Nivea
Brush: Generic boar

The Otto Roth is a New LC and so shaves the same, smooth. 1 pass with touch ups yielded an acceptable DFS. No issues, very comfortable. Next up will be a New SC.

I hear you -- I've had that issue with my carbon steel blades as well. I dry them, oil them, sing them to sleep, and the dang things still show rust the next time I use them -- but like you said, the rust doesn't hit the edge, and they shave really well. I don't know about you, but I can only get about 5 or so shaves out of a CS blade versus a SS PTFE-coated blade (10+ is the norm there); but the Carbon Steels are silky smooth for every shave and the SS blades can treat me harshly for the first shave or two.
I haven't taken these CS SE blades very far. The last one got a little rough at three shaves. I generally get 10-14 shaves from a DE stainless blade and 30 or so from a stainless injector blade. I have a mind to see how far I can go with these. I haven't tried the SE stainless blades yet.

Top Bottom