What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

My current 400 stable:

IMG_4716.JPG

NOS no number, 400-3 with 24mm Gelousy SHD bulb, 400-4 with synthetic Tuxedo.

Very nice I have the 24mm OUMO Brush-SHD HMW slivertip shaving brush knots gel tip, and the 26mm OUMO Brush- bulb SHD Handmaster finest badger hair knot shaving brush knots gel tip. But still dont have the handle to fit the 24mm in yet, but I must say looking forward to fitting it when I do.

I finally decided to drop a 24mm badger into my Rubberset! I love this thing.

Attachments

• 77902FCA-6267-4DF1-AD97-9D72ACE5521C.jpeg
    77902FCA-6267-4DF1-AD97-9D72ACE5521C.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
I just found this thread. After a year and a half of wet shaving and using a multitude of brushes, I've come the the realization that I really like brushes 24mm and smaller. Just recently, I've been on the hunt, purchasing vintage Ever-Ready, Certifyd, Rubberset and others with the intention of restoring and using. I've lately been on a search for a 400, but they aren't easy to come by! And what they want for one that needs a bunch of work is incredibly expensive, and I've been outbid 4 times now on the bay. And ones that are already restored are beyond my means. I've been going through this thread some, and seen some of your pics, and they are beautiful. How are you all coming across your finds?

I just found this thread. After a year and a half of wet shaving and using a multitude of brushes, I've come the the realization that I really like brushes 24mm and smaller. Just recently, I've been on the hunt, purchasing vintage Ever-Ready, Certifyd, Rubberset and others with the intention of restoring and using. I've lately been on a search for a 400, but they aren't easy to come by! And what they want for one that needs a bunch of work is incredibly expensive, and I've been outbid 4 times now on the bay. And ones that are already restored are beyond my means. I've been going through this thread some, and seen some of your pics, and they are beautiful. How are you all coming across your finds?

You will find one Sir!!!

I was lucky with mine they was all Bin price Buy It Now, I did restore all but one so now I have a Rubberset 400 in a Badger, Boar, Horse, & a Synthetic and a original, and love each one as they was a labour of love.

My set of Rubberset 400's.jpg

To restore them is time sanding them with wet and dry sandpaper, starting of at a low grit around the 320 then working up the grits until I got to 8000. That way you work the scratches out then polish with a good metal polish, I used white Diamond on those but as you say they are all 24mm knots in them. The only challenge I had was the horse that came from a Vie-Long brush.

Looks like a labor of love. Look forward to getting one and giving it a go. I got another rubberset, a 49-3. Wooden handle but in very good shape. Just the knot is rather worn. I'll just keep my eyes peeled daily. Something will come up.

Actually, I got an offer for $5 less and took it. Talking back and forth by message, I got a no number 400 then another 3 and another no number. Got those for 55 each with no tax or shipping, just the shipping I paid for with the first one.

I'm sure I'll have some questions about restoring these things when I get them. Like removing and replacing the knot. I already have an array of wet/dry sandpaper, but only up to 2500 grit, and Mother's Mag for polishing. I still need to get some knots in.

So, I'll have 4 of them being sent out Monday

Looks like you are "all in" on these brushes. Personal experience is that the original boar is a great knot. All the information on polishing, finishing, etc is earlier in this thread. Some have also chosen to keep them more original finish with some cleaning. Though others have also been powder coated, Jappaning (lacquer) and other creative finishes.

I have a couple of Omega's which are great once broken in but in my opinion are still not in the same class as the OEM knot. If you have one that is in good shape, it may be worth the effort and won't cost anything but the time to clean it up ...and the cleaning supplies and water so I guess it really will cost you something more than the time but I think it is worth it.

This is all strictly my opinion. Ask others and you will certainly hear differently.

Top Bottom