What's new

New Gillette 2 blades cart: The Gillette Skinguard!

I used one cart 11 shaves BUT the last 2 were irritating..... It is the ONLY razor I can use in the lower neck, all others end up with multiple ingrowns..... w this one...I can go in all directions
I bet you a Oneblade Core would suit you well .

I think I still prefer the Gillette Guard, Mach 3, and Sensor especially when comparing price and shave quality but I can see how the SkinGuard can help the everyday guy who doesn't have the technique, prep, or post shave knowledge that we have. That being said I don't see the price point worth it for me for the SkinGuard

I think I still prefer the Gillette Guard, Mach 3, and Sensor especially when comparing price and shave quality but I can see how the SkinGuard can help the everyday guy who doesn't have the technique, prep, or post shave knowledge that we have. That being said I don't see the price point worth it for me for the SkinGuard
The Guard always gave me a weeper no matter what I did.

On my 3rd cart today . Used one 18 times and the other 15....they probably could go longer.... I needed a nice sharp one today......one that doesn't give me ingrowns

Having bought a lot of Guards I found that the individually wrapped carts always gave me a weeper, while the cart that comes on the handle and the carts that come in a 6 pack never cut me, they definitely have some quality control issues but when its good it's good

Do you have a link for that ? I’ve never seen them that way.
Having bought a lot of Guards I found that the individually wrapped carts always gave me a weeper, while the cart that comes on the handle and the carts that come in a 6 pack never cut me, they definitely have some quality control issues but when its good it's good

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Mostly now if I use a cart, that is what i use. I have carts that will shave closer, but none that are as carefree as far as zero irritation and so on.

Has anyone else found it caused irritation not typically found with other razors? The skinguard gave me several small whiteheads around my neck and mouth during most of my trials with it.

I've never cut myself with a Guard, but pressure can be tricky (the Guard, like all razors, can burn). Unlike a DE, you need a little, but not too much.

I like the Guard just because it's a single blade razor, easy to rinse, never clogs.

I'm not a big fan of any twin blade cart. In my experience, they don't necessarily shave closer. I'd rather take the extra time and do another pass if I have to. I'm going to have to do another one anyways, typically.

I have primarily shaved with DE’s for over 20 years. Currently in the den are the Karve B,C & G, Tatara Nodachi, Paradigm 17-4, Blackbird & Wolfman WR-2.

All great razors but for the 24 hour workday daily shave the Gillette Skinguard easily matches them and surpasses some of them in closeness. I haven’t found a smoother razor on the market DE or cart. Gillette nailed it with the Skinguard.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Gillette nailed it with the Skinguard.

They sure did. I wonder what things would look like today if they had released this a decade ago and not undertaken the “toxic” ad campaign. They might have a lot more shaving enthusiasts using their modern products.

I find the OneBlade almost indistinguishable from the Skinguard in post shave feel but with a slightly closer feel.

I have a Karve with an E plate that is much much closer that leaves no irritation but an alcohol AS will sting after that where it doesn’t or barely does with the Skinguard.

The Skinguard is better in every respect than my Feather Popular. The Feather doesn’t shave close and requires so much buffing to get a decent shave that I usually have slight irritation from it.

Gillette has a winner here and sadly many here will avoid because it’s a cart and who it’s from.

They sure did. I wonder what things would look like today if they had released this a decade ago and not undertaken the “toxic” ad campaign. They might have a lot more shaving enthusiasts using their modern products.

I find the OneBlade almost indistinguishable from the Skinguard in post shave feel but with a slightly closer feel.

I have a Karve with an E plate that is much much closer that leaves no irritation but an alcohol AS will sting after that where it doesn’t or barely does with the Skinguard.

The Skinguard is better in every respect than my Feather Popular. The Feather doesn’t shave close and requires so much buffing to get a decent shave that I usually have slight irritation from it.

Gillette has a winner here and sadly many here will avoid because it’s a cart and who it’s from.

For me I could care less about marketing and so forth, I care about the product and how it works for me. Example: I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and avoid animal products wherever possible however I have minor skin issues and can ONLY bathe with tallow bar soaps or else my skin breaks out... I want to save the animals but I can't live a miserable uncomfortable life in order to do so. Anyway, back on topic: the skinguard just pulls and tugs so hard on my facial hair, I can't figure it out. It pulls worse then 'normal' multi blade carts. For me, it's also the only shaving system that leaves the shaved area covered in small whiteheads the next day. I'm thinking I may have a reaction to their goo strips though it's drastically less if I use one of their other razors. Another issue I have is my neck hairs lay so flat that even will a good brush lather prep it still just floats over those hairs... Even going ATG my neck looks unshaved with the skinguard. It really sucks honestly, I want to like it and it's designed to fix the extract problems I have (that even DEs couldn't fix) but it just doesn't work for me.

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve downsized my razors to three; a Rockwell 6C, a OneBlade Hybrid, and the Skinguard.

I find myself using the OneBlade and the Skinguard almost exclusively. The simple fact is that for me, the Skinguard just works. Between the OneBlade and the Skinguard the shaves are both extremely close and very comfortable, with either zero or very slight irritation in my trouble spots. And that is all I’m after. I love both and am perfectly happy using either razor.

Paired with a quality cream or soap where I can produce a nice slick lather, I get excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
the skinguard just pulls and tugs so hard on my facial hair, I can't figure it out.
It may be that the blades are not sharp enough for your beard. (this is a theory on my part, aka, guess) If you read the blade forum you will see a trend and that is folks with tough whiskers not liking blades that are considered on the mild side. They will stat things like tugging or pulling but not cutting the beard. They often times end up liking Feathers are other well known blades that lean to the sharper side.

Maybe the angle of the blade isn't quite right for you. It sucks that it doesn't work for you because I've read your posts here and know that you've not had great experience with a lot of products and have really tried a lot of products with an open mind.

I don't remember offhand your DE journeys, I think you had some, but did you prefer sharper blades in those? The reason I ask is I up until quite recently liked mild shaves, actually still do, but I always thought the way to get that was to have razors with small blade gap.

I recently bought a Karve with an E plate. That's got a huge blade gap, but it clamps the blade very tight. I've had some of my best shaves ever with that thing. It's my best razor. It shaves closer than anything I've tried

(Feather Popular, Merkur 42c, 45, DE89, Bevel DE, Fatip Gentile, smoother and closer than all of those. The only razors I've used that came closeness were the Parker 99 which I found way to heavy and easy to nick and the Muhle Rocca which was to quick to nick. In fact the Rocca and Parker were kind of what cemented in my mind that I need only look at razors a smaller blade gap, probably .8mm or under.)

So anyway the Karve has a gap of 1.10 mm and an exposure of a positive .17mm (from their site, I don't measure these things myself). Why the E plate? I had read a number of posts from guys talking about that it was better to have what might be considered an aggressive razor that does the job in a couple of passes rather than multiple passes. Close shave, less irritation. That registered for me and I though at least if that is not the case for me, I can always buy a milder plate.

I've got almost a weeks worth of shaves with the Karve and I love it. I did finally get two weepers yesterday on day five, but I'm going to say it's because it was time to ditch the blade, it was day 5 on a Derby Premium. I felt on day 4 like it was running out of life.

Sorry about the tangent - I absolutely excel at them:) But its another view point that you or someone may want to consider on their journey if they haven't. I pooh poohed the idea for a long time until it occurred to me that an adjustable razor was a good way to test the theory. But also an adjustable known to clamp the blade rigidly and by that I mean close to the blade edges to eliminate any possibility of chatter. And with your tough hair, you would notice chatter before someone with easy to cut hair would.

Last edited:
I don’t use the Skinguard on anything over 48 hours/two day growth. For me it’s the perfect daily shaver as well. Absolutely smoothest razor ever made with high quality steel.

The toxic campaign means nothing to me. Zero. I work at Fidelity Investments in Boston next door to Gillette’s headquarters in South Boston. I see first hand how they help out the needier communities in Boston and New England. Great company with wonderful products in my personal use. The DE’s are more for the fun of it and hobby aspect.

Top Bottom