What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

1569929678207.png

I just killed off a tub of WSP Barbershop. Great soap that I’ll pick up again after my stock continues to dwindle. I’m down to 7 soaps (3 which I picked up when I went out).

I can already see my next kill—Dr. Jon’s 1804 aftershave. Maybe another week or two is all that’s left there. Temperatures should start dropping and it’s definitely a cool weather scent.

still out.

Three quarters of the year are gone...whew that went fast! That means there is only one quarter left. We can do it - everybody stop looking at shave stuff to reduce temptation, especially during Black Friday and Christmas time.

#57 still in.

I can't believe it's October, where has this year gone? Looking forward to Tabactober shave #1 tonight. When I use Tabac I have no desire to even look at other soaps so October is going to be easy to resist shopping.

#52 still in.

Thank you to those who have checked in so far, 26 of the operatives.

If you have not, please check in and let us know how things are going for you in the sabbatical.
I jump in now and then, but I suppose I should make an official check in.

In and fine. That noted, I doubt I'll do 2020. I hit peak shave a few years ago. Collecting for the sake of collecting doesn't do anything for me and in fact I'll sell off a few straights I don't find myself actually using. I know the soaps and AS that I like and will just cycle through those as they're consumed. There are a few inexpensive accessories I'll pick up as needed. I've got a stash of "TSA disposable carts" for travel and unless I start to travel a LOT more, I'm good there for years too.

I can't believe it's October, where has this year gone? Looking forward to Tabactober shave #1 tonight. When I use Tabac I have no desire to even look at other soaps so October is going to be easy to resist shopping.

#52 still in.
I forgot about Tabactober but as it happens I used it this AM. I'm good for 31 days of it.

jim

#15 checking in. No temptations and, no, I still haven't decided on a stainless razor yet.
I must continue my sabbatical through 2020 and be done with the creams.
Oh, nearly forgot. Still in.

#62 - still in at the 3/4 mark although temptation is nigh...(I did use my exception as I finished two balms this quarter and SWMBO demands at least one balm on hand that is not offensive to her :))

#62 now out after nine months and a day. As I said, temptation was nigh as a couple of brushes in my sweet spot came up on the BST after 9 months of nothing and one is on it's way. OTOH, I've sold/traded more than I have received in 2019, so I'm still making progress towards a smaller inventory of my favorites. I'll be back next year as I have enough stuff for 2-3 years.

#62 now out after nine months and a day. As I said, temptation was nigh as a couple of brushes in my sweet spot came up on the BST after 9 months of nothing and one is on it's way. OTOH, I've sold/traded more than I have received in 2019, so I'm still making progress towards a smaller inventory of my favorites. I'll be back next year as I have enough stuff for 2-3 years.

1570033840213.png

Pics please, we need details.

Nooooooo!

#29 (I think) still in. The wife wanted to look at antique stores for a sideboard to put in our dining room. I saw the most razors I have ever seen that day. At one store an unboxed, highly faded red tip with plating damage was tagged for $93.00. I had no problem avoiding temptation.

Been doing the Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC) and have been continuing to 3017 soaps and am really enjoying not needing to think about selection in the morning.

Good luck to everyone in the final quarter.

9 months is a good run! I have a 22 mm Rudy Vey with a Shavemac two-band; it's a great brush! You'll enjoy enjoy it.

You can join the group getting ready for the 2020 sabbatical!

1570103616359.png

A few days ago, I was considering buying 12 soaps during resupply for 2020 and using a different soap each month. Thankfully, that temptation disappeared. I should have enough WMS to make it. If not, I'll list soap as my exception.

Last edited:
#32 and still in. Haven't felt the need to buy anything, maybe just get rid of some stuff that I don't use all that often, but then there is a reason I don't use them and I don't think I'd inflict that on other people. :D Almost done the Derby tub, but it's still hanging in there. I should just put it on top of the Tabac and call it dead.

Top Bottom