What's new

Lilac Vegetal

I got some of this in the mail today in a Pinaud sampler. Wow, this is strange and funky (literally) juice. It smells like a room air freshener or a soap that a woman might use now days, the sort of "lilac and sweet peas" stuff I see at Bath and Body Works. It's also incredibly light and airy, top note heavy.

If you wear this, you might smell like a man, I suppose, but perhaps more of a French Third Republic gentleman and less of the cowboy or working class hero imagery you get in American cologne ads. Maybe something like this guy:

proxy.php

Anyways, I don't know much French but that old movie (Moulin Rouge) set in La Belle Époque was memorable so that what pops into my mind when thinking of Lilac Vegetal.

I could see how this cologne could be extremely polarizing. Personally, I am skeptical this could ever be a favorite, but I am willing to give it more time. In fact, it seems to be giving me a curious buzzy feeling in my head, like alot of cheap air fresheners do.

Last edited:
You're partially correct. You do get some floral lilac scent in there. But first you have to get past the cat urine scent that permeates not only the room you're in but your soul.

You're partially correct. You do get some floral lilac scent in there. But first you have to get past the cat urine scent that permeates not only the room you're in but your soul.

I noticed that too. There must be something sweet and animalic in the basenotes. That's why I think it's "funky".

If you've ever smelled pure androstenone (a male mammal sex pheremone), that's a close approximation. It's an animalic, urinous scent.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You know, he might be one of the Chosen! He said nothing of smelling like an unbathed hobo, or that a cat peed on him in his sleep. His body chemistry might be like Superman, ya never know.

I have yet to try it, for fear I WILL be chosen! Or fear I'm not! It just ain't worth it fellas!

FarmerTan

I noticed that too. There must be something sweet and animalic in the basenotes. That's why I think it's "funky".

If you've ever smelled pure androstenone (a male mammal sex pheremone), that's a close approximation. It's an animalic, urinous scent.
Nope, he noticed the pee. He might not be chosen. Have to wear it out on the town and see if women run TO you or FROM you.

You know, he might be one of the Chosen! He said nothing of smelling like an unbathed hobo, or that a cat peed on him in his sleep. His body chemistry might be like Superman, ya never know.

I have yet to try it, for fear I WILL be chosen! Or fear I'm not! It just ain't worth it fellas!

The scent is evolving, I'm starting to notice the urinous note moreso as the lilac dries down.

It reminds me of the time I experimented with human and animal pheremones. Only this stuff has that unbathed hobo quality in spades. I'm curious to know what exactly is in Lilac Vegetal that produces such a wierd, funky note.

FarmerTan

The scent is evolving, I'm starting to notice the urinous note moreso as the lilac dries down.

It reminds me of the time I experimented with human and animal pheremones. Only this stuff has that unbathed hobo quality in spades. I'm curious to know what exactly is in Lilac Vegetal that produces such a wierd, funky note.
Now ya got me wanting to buy some. If I'm not one of the Chosen I could always use it as an animal repellent in my gardens!

You're throwing your money away. I've told this story before so my apologies if you've heard it already. I had just bought some and put it on after my shave and just before my wife, son and I were headed out for a nice dinner. I put it on in the guest bedroom where I keep my den. I then went downstairs to wait for them. The next thing I hear is my wife saying "Why does it smell like pee in here? Did the dog pee in the guest bedroom?". My teenage son who was just beginning to shave at the time and had heard about The Veg from me responded to my wife saying "No Mom. It's Dad." She says, "Dad peed in the guest bedroom?" He responds, "No, it's aftershave." I come running upstairs to see what all the commotion is about and she comes right up to me, puts her nose near my chest and neck and starts sniffing in deeply. It didn't take more than one or two whiffs for her to say, "Oh no. You can't go out like that." True story. And the last time I have worn The Veg. It is the devil's juice.

Last edited:
According to basenotes, the cat pee note comes from the type of musk. This is a very old fragrance and it has a dirty, animalic musk... not the kind you find in your dryer sheets.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

You're throwing your money away. I've told this story before so my apologies if you've heard it already. I had just bought some and put it on after my shave and just before my wife, son and I were headed out for a nice dinner. I put it on in the guest bedroom where I keep my den. I then went downstairs to wait for them. The next thing I hear is my wife saying "Why does it smell like pee in here? Did the dog pee in the guest bedroom?". My teenage son who was just beginning to shave at the time and had heard about The Veg from me responded to my wife saying "No Mom. It's Dad." She says, "Dad peed in the guest bedroom?" He responds, "No, it's aftershave." I come running upstairs to see what all the commotion is about and she comes right up to me, puts her nose near my chest and neck and starts sniffing in deeply. It didn't take more than one or two whiffs for her to say, "Oh no. You can't go out like that." True story. And the last time I have worn The Veg. It is the devil's juice.
Thanks. I'm afraid of my wife, so I will never find out if I am a Chosen one, lol.

Great story! Has your son worn it since that fateful evening?

I am not one of the chosen. To each there own, so long as when they wear The Veg, they stay at least one city block away from wherever I am.

The Veg does have a perfectly decent drydown.

Today is the real moment of truth: what my S.O. thinks of the Veg. That's what really matters after all, isn't it? She loves Canoe, Old Spice and Skin Bracer, and I will have to report back my findings.

There are approximately 1,643,298 (give or take) different aftershave splashes out there in the world to experiment with, many of which are actual forgotten traditional classics. But as far as I can tell, LV is now essentially a prank that veterans like to play on people new to the world of scents. Don't fall for it or you'll look like the auto shop newbie who was sent to the parts store for a gallon of blinker fluid, and you waste money that you could have spent on something that isn't disgusting.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If you wear this, you might smell like a man, I suppose, but perhaps more of a French Third Republic gentleman and less of the cowboy or working class hero imagery you get in American cologne ads.
I know he only played a cowboy in the movies, but it was the aftershave John Wayne used.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thanks. I'm afraid of my wife, so I will never find out if I am a Chosen one, lol.
You'll never know how good it can be until you try it. I have an aftershave rotation of one aftershave a week. Lilac Vegetal is the only one I get stuck on. I'll use it for a couple of weeks up to a month before I go back into my rotation. Then I cry when I have to let it go. I've never had women run from me wearing it, and my wife doesn't mind it at all. I have a stash, so I never have to do without. I bet it ages too. I'm hopeful about that.
hA8C53BFA.jpg

019_25.jpg
:001_wub: :letterk1:

Last edited:
The Veg does have a perfectly decent drydown.

Today is the real moment of truth: what my S.O. thinks of the Veg. That's what really matters after all, isn't it? She loves Canoe, Old Spice and Skin Bracer, and I will have to report back my findings.

Well, I wore the Veg today after my shave and she thinks it smells "interesting". She doesn't think it smells like cat pee.

But I'm probably not going to be buying any more. It smells too old-fashioned for my tastes. I'm sure at one time the fragrance was shocking and bracing, but I prefer something more subtle to wear casually.

I think it smells differently for different folks. Also, the plastic seems to impart a bitterness to both the Veg and Clubman, which is why I've decanted all the Pinaud scents into glass. I love the veg. There was a perfume from my childhood called Tuberose that the Veg reminds me strongly of. albeit with a lilac rather than rose nose.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Well, I wore the Veg today after my shave and she thinks it smells "interesting". She doesn't think it smells like cat pee.

But I'm probably not going to be buying any more. It smells too old-fashioned for my tastes. I'm sure at one time the fragrance was shocking and bracing, but I prefer something more subtle to wear casually.
It should smell old fashioned it was the first aftershave. It was also the only one that Édouard Pinaud devised himself, and he did so for the Hungarian Calvary. It was released in the 1880's in the US. He passed away in the 1840's. One might say it is the only true Pinaud Clubman. It is however the original wrapper.

Top Bottom