What's new

Lisa's Naturals

I have 35-40 soaps and Lisa's is the worst lathering of the bunch. I know that it is a quality
soap and I get a good shave but I can't get a good lather. Too much water and I get a liquid lather,
not enough water and it's pasty. I face lather with good results on every other soap except Lisa's.
What's the secret? I feel silly even asking because we're not dealing with quantum physics. Either
add more water or less and usually that works but Lisa's seems to be an issue.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Maybe add water in small amounts until you have the lather dialed in, start with a brush that is not too wet. If you face lather, have a small cup with water handy and just dip the tip of the brush in it to add water. Personally, I do not know this soap, so my advise is just a general one.

I use YaQi synthetics and they can practically lather concrete dust. I have had no trouble with Lisa's Artisan line and as a matter of fact it is in my Top Five of best soaps extant. I gave up hair brushes years ago, not for any quasi ethical reason, but that they simply work better and faster for my needs. That will solve your problem here. ;)

I use YaQi synthetics and they can practically lather concrete dust. I have had no trouble with Lisa's Artisan line and as a matter of fact it is in my Top Five of best soaps extant. I gave up hair brushes years ago, not for any quasi ethical reason, but that they simply work better and faster for my needs. That will solve your problem here. ;)
I use a synthetic brush exclusively now, as I find them far superior to my badgers. I'll try again
using a slightly damp brush and add water from there to see what happens.

I have 35-40 soaps and Lisa's is the worst lathering of the bunch. I know that it is a quality
soap and I get a good shave but I can't get a good lather. Too much water and I get a liquid lather,
not enough water and it's pasty. I face lather with good results on every other soap except Lisa's.
What's the secret? I feel silly even asking because we're not dealing with quantum physics. Either
add more water or less and usually that works but Lisa's seems to be an issue.
I looked up Lisa's soaps ingredients and it all looks like good stuff except for one ingredient that seems to give me trouble: bentonite clay. I have the worst time with any soaps (i.e. Ogallala) with bentonite clay because my skin reacts to it and it gives me a clumpy lather when dry and bubbly and airy lather when moisturized. I just can't find the balance unless I load heavy and just keep it more pasty. Sure it's slick but I can't work with it.

Also, the bentonite clay is pretty high up in the ingredient list so there's a fair bit more than the usual soap. That would make it a bigger issue for my lathering process.

Last edited:
I looked up Lisa's soaps ingredients and it all looks like good stuff except for one ingredient that seems to give me trouble: bentonite clay. I have the worst time with any soaps (i.e. Ogallala) with bentonite clay because my skin reacts to it and it gives me a clumpy lather when dry and bubbly air when moisturized. I just can't find the balance unless I load heavy and just keep it more pasty. Sure it's slick but I can't work with it.

Also, the bentonite clay is pretty high up in the ingredient list so there's a fair bit more than the usual soap. That would make it a bigger issue for my lathering process.

Ogallala, as are most glycerin pour soaps, are crappy to begin with. I would not use that as a benchmark.

Ogallala, as are most glycerin pour soaps, are crappy to begin with. I would not use that as a benchmark.
I know some people who love Ogallala though. There seems to be a mixed opinion about the brand and for me, I stay away from any soaps with bentonite clay for reasons mentioned above.

I know some people who love Ogallala though. There seems to be a mixed opinion about the brand and for me, I stay away from any soaps with bentonite clay for reasons mentioned above.

They love the scent, not the soap. At least until they use a real quality soap.

I've not had any issues with it. Synthetic brush, damp but not dripping, slowly add water.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think Lisa's natural is a superb soap base. Slickness and creaminess is top-notch. I've gotten great lathers from her stuff and I have two videos online that show how I did it. Both of them happen to be using boar brushes.

One was with 50 second load with a lightly wet brush and about 2 1/2 teaspoons of water added.

just search this on YouTube if you're interested: "sgrdddy_shaves Lisa's natural"

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Bentonite clay is common in a lot of soaps as it's added to increase slickness. I haven't seen a negative effect from it in lathering any of the soaps that I use that contain it. I have heard of people using straights opposing clay in a soap as they say it can dull the blade edge. I'm not convinced that this is a valid argument though as it doesn't appear to be dulling the edges on my DE or AC blades.

For me, Lisa's is what I'd consider an upper tier 1 soap. The Ogallala soaps I bought I wouldn't consider elite as I ended up using them to shower with. Great as a shower soap, and smelled outstanding, but I didn't care for the lather they produced for shaving.

Do try starting with a drier brush to pick up the soap a bit quicker, then add water three to six drops at a time several times as you lather until you get it where you want it to be. I usually stop when I get enough lather and I've kept adding water until I get a nice gel like shine to it.

Clay will eventually dull any steel instrument, but it's going to take far longer than what little time we use a DE blade for.

I have had issues getting a good lather as well. No matter what I did it just wouldn’t work out. Tried every combination possible. I have no suggestions on what to do differently. I personally gave mine away.

Lisa's Older soap formula lathers just fine but did notice it does not have as wide of water tollerance as some other artisans. Would recommend adding water slowly and consider Lisa's Natural a great artisan and terrific value. Hope you can get a lather to your satisfaction.

I get similar results with Van Der Hagen, but I can lather a cheap Chinese glycerin soap (Amerfresh) just fine. I think it's fairly common to find a soap that just doesn't work very well for a given individual. Water, brushes, and technique all vary.

Maybe add water in small amounts until you have the lather dialed in, start with a brush that is not too wet. If you face lather, have a small cup with water handy and just dip the tip of the brush in it to add water. Personally, I do not know this soap, so my advise is just a general one.
I use this soap frequently and Rudy's/defoulk's method is what I recommend. I vary slightly as I'm a bowl latherer, but I use a damp well shaken brush since her new artisan soap is a softer soap, adding a few drops of water at a time until I get the right consistency. I find it a very nice lather with all the properties I look for in getting a great shave. With the original versions of her soaps that I also liked, I found that since it was a harder soap, I had to load sufficiently to get the lather I was looking for.

Top Bottom