What's new

Coffee brew methods

Go stainless. It'll break you before you break it.

Hey TexLaw. Good to be chatting with you again. I thought about going stainless and decided I liked seeing the coffee in the pot, in spite of the risk of breakage. So I’m sticking with the glass Bodum. If I go through both, I’ll have to rethink that approach.

I use a Vietnamese phin or an aeropress. Sometimes I use a Japanese one-cup pour-over, but I generally prefer the phin as long as I have evenly ground coffee on hand.

I used to have a moka pot (they are everywhere in Florida) but the aeropress makes just as good coffee without the hassle on an electric stove.

Hubby and I both have our own Frieling stainless steel double-wall French presses. He is a coffee guzzler and I am a coffee sipper. When we camp we use an enamel percolator on the fire or camp stove. We hand grind beans roasted locally. I have my faves and he his, hence the two separate presses. I hate the grinder we picked up recently when ours of twenty-five years recently died unexpectedly. Suggestions? Im in the US.

Last edited:
Hubby and I both have our own Frieling stainless steel double-wall French presses. He is a coffee guzzler and I am a coffee sipper. When we camp we use an enamel percolator on the fire or camp stove. We hand grind beans roasted locally. I have my faves and he his, hence the two separate presses. I hate the grinder we picked up recently when ours of twenty-five years recently died unexpectedly. Suggestions? Im in the US.
A lot depends on your budget. I have read a lot of great reviews about Rancillo, but they are not cheap. I own a Cuisinart, which is only around $35. I would like to upgrade when it dies, but I only do aeropress or Bonavita drip, so it is hard to justify a $300+ grinder. However, I get great coffee (which I roast myself).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Picked up a Bialetti Moka Pot recently and tried it this weekend. Very good coffee!! Not something I'd use every day but it's nice for a change-up.

71J24QlhH6L._SX466_.jpg

Picked up a Bialetti Moka Pot recently and tried it this weekend. Very good coffee!! Not something I'd use every day but it's nice for a change-up.

I like it as well but not everyday. I've been using the Italian Espresso Medaglio d'oro and find it to be too strong and burnt tasting. I'm going to try some different beans in there, maybe a Medium Roast ground fine for espresso, and see how it tastes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All of that is not in one place. We have 5 houses so the coffee making apparatus is spread around. Up here in the great white north I only have a Melitta #6 (pot and funnel), Zojirushi 1.8 liter thermal, Baratza maestro plus, and a Behmor roaster. I'm roughing it here as far as coffee goes :) I only have one razor and one brush too. It's a small cabin.

proxy.php
@Mick : are percolators as good as I remember? This is not my usual smart a.. self asking. I'm truly thinking of getting away from the drip, and have been perusing the Goodwill stores, etc.
Thanks, Dave

FarmerTan

What do you think of your percolator? Thanks, Dave.

I'm a French press kind oh guy.

I almost gave up on the whole press idea. Kept on breaking the freaking glass. Not anymore. Went stainless. Love it!

Cold brew, smooth and no bitterness. Used to use an Aeropress but for some reason couldnt get a good brew out of it after a couple of years!!!

@Mick : are percolators as good as I remember? This is not my usual smart a.. self asking. I'm truly thinking of getting away from the drip, and have been perusing the Goodwill stores, etc.
Thanks, Dave

I have 4, 6, and 8 cup percs. The larger is a samovar.

They make good coffee but you need to grind a bit coarser than for other brew methods.

Been using a Bialetti Moka pot and Medaglia d'oro for over 30 years. Makes a mean Americano with milk. This is what Italian Americans have been doing since the 1930's. Better than anything you can get at Starbucks. Great for coffee drinks like Americano's, macchiato's, latte's' cappuccino's, cubano's,
20200108_115605_HDR.jpg
etc. Not exactly a true espresso but very close.

FarmerTan

Been using a Bialetti Moka pot and Medaglia d'oro for over 30 years. Makes a mean Americano with milk. This is what Italian Americans have been doing since the 1930's. Better than anything you can get at Starbucks. Great for coffee drinks like Americano's, macchiato's, latte's' cappuccino's, cubano's, View attachment 1050814etc. Not exactly a true espresso but very close.
So cool!

I've seen these on eBay and been wondering how they work...

But, I'm an unedumicated person in the ways of coffee beyond Mr Coffee, black.

I know, I am a Neandrithol. (See, I can't even spell Neanderthal)

Auto drip first thing in the morning so the three coffee drinkers in the house have something to wake up while I get my daughter ready for school.

We also have a super-auto espresso machine (it was a compromise for me because wife can't handle the nuances of making espresso the right way and I no longer have to pay for her Starbucks ridiculousness). I get to steam and froth milk properly and she can use the automatic attachment for when she makes her own drinks.

I also have a French press that used to be my go to when I worked in an office. My job has me a lot more mobile now so I press some before I leave and suffer the rest of my work day once it's gone.

I'm just using a clever dripper anymore - makes a good cup and I'm lazy. Also down to one cup a day. But it's a 16oz cup filled with home roasted single origin.

-jim

In a hurry: Keurig
With wife and friends needing several cups: drip
One cup for me: Aeropress
Weekends when I want 2 cups: Parkbrew pour over.

So cool!

I've seen these on eBay and been wondering how they work...

But, I'm an unedumicated person in the ways of coffee beyond Mr Coffee, black.

I know, I am a Neandrithol. (See, I can't even spell Neanderthal)

If Italian immigrants can do it you can do it. Unscrew everything. Fill the bottom up to the overpressure relief valve with filtered water. Put finely ground (somewhere between drip and espresso grind) in the funnel thing and drop it in the bottom part. Screw the top part on the bottom part and put it on a medium heat. When coffee stops coming into the top part you are done. You now have two shots of something like espresso. Add water to make an Americano, add milk to make a latte, add foamed milk to make a cappuccino. Now go upstairs, put on some Ray Ban sunglasses, an oxford shirt, tie a sweater around your shoulders, and walk out to the mailbox to get your paper while muttering to yourself in Italian...

Che bello!

Neanderthal no more!

Top Bottom