What's new

Has anyone tried reshaping a brush handle? Update - finished

I bought a Yaqi 26mm synthetic and while the knot is very good, the handle is not. It's like a large Simpson Persian Jar handle that flairs out to very wide at the base, making it uncomfortable to hold.

I'm going to take a Dremel sander to the base to make it a good bit smaller. Since the brush is inexpensive I'm not too worried about ruining it, but wanted to know if anyone had tried that. Does it even sand well?

I've never done what you are asking about, but I have hand worked several plastic and resin things. My biggest worry would be if the handle was hollow. If it's solid it should be doable. You should be able to get it pretty even with coarse sandpaper. Try 0000 steel wool after your fine grit sandpaper and then a bit of wax.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I bought a Yaqi 26mm synthetic and while the knot is very good, the handle is not. It's like a large Simpson Persian Jar handle that flairs out to very wide at the base, making it uncomfortable to hold.

I'm going to take a Dremel sander to the base to make it a good bit smaller. Since the brush is inexpensive I'm not too worried about ruining it, but wanted to know if anyone had tried that. Does it even sand well?
Pics please, before you start and after.
Maybe I can help

The deed is done. I took the Dremel around the base and took quite a few beauty points off the brush. However, it is soooo much more comfortable in the hand.

This is going to be my new travel brush and I'm very happy with it. It's starting to win me over on synthetic brushes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to buy a few backup travel brushes.

Before
proxy.php

proxy.php

After
proxy.php

Last edited:
The deed is done. I took the Dremel around the base and took quite a few beauty points off the brush. However, it is soooo much more comfortable in the hand.

This is going to be my new travel brush and I'm very happy with it. It's starting to win me over on synthetic brushes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to buy a few backup travel brushes.

Before
proxy.php

proxy.php

After
proxy.php
Even though it has some flaw, the overall shape actually looks pretty nice. Maybe sanding/buffing it will finalize the look! Good job!

Also, what brushes are you thinking of for the travels? More Yaqi synthetics or alternatives?

Thanks. If I had a belt sander it would have looked even better. The Dremel ate through it very quickly. I'll get some sandpaper and finish it up by hand.

I bought the following brushes tonight (all Yaqi synthetic):

Moka Express 24mm
proxy.php

Cashmere 24mm
proxy.php

Sagrada Familia 24mm
proxy.php

Thanks. If I had a belt sander it would have looked even better. The Dremel ate through it very quickly. I'll get some sandpaper and finish it up by hand.

I bought the following brushes tonight (all Yaqi synthetic):

Moka Express 24mm
proxy.php

Cashmere 24mm
proxy.php

Sagrada Familia 24mm
proxy.php
Nice! I have the first and the third brush and I love both. They're both set a bit deeper so they have good backbone with soft tips. The second brush looks beautiful and with those cashmere knots, it's probably great on the face.

I have a Yaqi 30mm boss synth on the way. I've had some bad experiences with fake boss knots so I'm ordering from the best synthetic source, Yaqi.

I kept working on the Yaqi to get the handle as comfortable as possible. I used a Dremel and some sandpaper and took a lot off the base (the most uncomfortable part) and also the top where it flared out too much for my tastes.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the new shape. It's pretty comfortable and is a great brush.
proxy.php

That is a considerable improvement. Now just some rouge and some white polish and a few polishing wheels for your Dremel and you're good to go.

I cannot believe how big the original base was. I don't blame you for wanting to do that. I have gorilla hands and I don't think I'd even want to hold that handle as it was.

I kept working on the Yaqi to get the handle as comfortable as possible. I used a Dremel and some sandpaper and took a lot off the base (the most uncomfortable part) and also the top where it flared out too much for my tastes.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the new shape. It's pretty comfortable and is a great brush.
proxy.php
That looks like a comfortable and good-looking shape! Great job.

Thanks. I did the same treatment to the base of my Razorock Monster. That handle was terrible too. It's much better now, but I'm still going to tackle the top of the handle later.

Both brushes have good knots, but the handles kept me from enjoying them. Now they're back in the rotation.
proxy.php

Thanks. I did the same treatment to the base of my Razorock Monster. That handle was terrible too. It's much better now, but I'm still going to tackle the top of the handle later.

Both brushes have good knots, but the handles kept me from enjoying them. Now they're back in the rotation.
proxy.php
Nice! It reminds me of the Cremo horse hair handle, except it's probably way bigger. DIY solutions that actually work!

Top Bottom