What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

that is beautiful love the washers
Thanks. I first tried peening over the decorative ones and didn't like the look. Pulled it apart, added a 00 on top, and repeened. Much nicer result.

I like your style on the W&B very nice
Thanks. Simple and functional has it's own grace in my book.

I couldn't help myself and went ahead and sharpened her last night. Had a partial bevel so started at the beginning and reset it all. Great shave this morning. I get why everyone loves their FBUs.

Thanks. I find wood just feels great in the hand. It's also very easy to work.
It is a pleasure to work with as long as you have the tools! Band saws are not cheap so I have had to use one that I have available to me to get the scales close to a workable thickness. As far as cutting the shape I fabricated a treadle scroll saw previously so I have access to cut the shape out. Also if you haven't considered stabilizing the wood that you are using you might want to! You know how wood likes to soak up water. And water+steel=rust.... Happy shaves and again great work!

It is a pleasure to work with as long as you have the tools! Band saws are not cheap so I have had to use one that I have available to me to get the scales close to a workable thickness. As far as cutting the shape I fabricated a treadle scroll saw previously so I have access to cut the shape out. Also if you haven't considered stabilizing the wood that you are using you might want to! You know how wood likes to soak up water. And water+steel=rust.... Happy shaves and again great work!
I do them by hand. They're cut into their basic shape with a coping saw and hand sanded. The only electric saw used is a table saw to cut the blanks. Linseed oil, tung oil, and gun stock finishers are used to stabilize and finish the scales. It's great therapy.

Vintage 13/16 Le Grelot, currently deciding on scales.

Grelot Face 1.png
Grelot Stamp 1.png
Grelot Shaped 1.png
Grelot Polished 1.png

I do them by hand. They're cut into their basic shape with a coping saw and hand sanded. The only electric saw used is a table saw to cut the blanks. Linseed oil, tung oil, and gun stock finishers are used to stabilize and finish the scales. It's great therapy.
I do not use BLO any longer as a top coat, Tung oil, or CA are the only two I use. Any scales I do in wood get at least 4 hours under vacuum in "Cactus Juice" after baking for 2 hours at 200°F to remove any moisture. I let the wood cool to room temp , then they get the juice in the vacuum chamber, then after the 4 hour bath they get another 2 hours in the oven wrapped in foil tightly at 200-250°F. Then and only then do I shape and sand them, after which they get buffed out at 3k rpm with white polishing compound. The acrylic resin polishes out pretty good usually just past a satin finish. After this I apply top coat or just polish them more..

I do not use BLO any longer as a top coat, Tung oil, or CA are the only two I use. Any scales I do in wood get at least 4 hours under vacuum in "Cactus Juice" after baking for 2 hours at 200°F to remove any moisture. I let the wood cool to room temp , then they get the juice in the vacuum chamber, then after the 4 hour bath they get another 2 hours in the oven wrapped in foil tightly at 200-250°F. Then and only then do I shape and sand them, after which they get buffed out at 3k rpm with white polishing compound. The acrylic resin polishes out pretty good usually just past a satin finish. After this I apply top coat or just polish them more..
I'm going to look into this. Thanks...

I drilled the pins out so I could reuse the collars. It probably needs new scales but I just went ahead and epoxy glued where they were broken. Some sanding but not too deep because I wanted to preserve the etching. Will see how it hones.

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.03.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 3.52.15 PM.png

fullsizeoutput_1a71.jpeg
IMG_3850.JPG

As of lately the GM strike is affecting acquiring any new razors to work on so I'm relegated to do other projects...Technically this wasn't done on a bench it was done on a lathe but I had to have a little matchy matchy with my two ultem brushes here it is, needs a little more polishing but I like it another "show me stand" same amber Ultem as my to boar brush handles and my buddy is supposed to bring me some black Ultem tomorrow! So maybe another handle and stand in matching black...enjoy and happy shaves!

IMG_20191009_161622__01.jpg

And it's flame polished now
IMG_20191009_170754__01.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got a bit of time to work on the Fili 14 Doble Temple. It won't make the list of my prettiest. I managed to remove most of the pitting, but lost most of the etching as well. I do believe it will be entirely functional after a trip to the stones tomorrow.

IMG_20191012_195058-01.jpeg
IMG_20191012_195109-01.jpeg

Top Bottom