What's new

The hobby in 10 years from now

How do you imagine our hobby down the road? Making predictions is something I like in general.

I believe that in a decade from now the niche market will still exist, there will still be demand for higher end/luxury items for the few ones that can afford them.
Being an artisan won't be a trend anymore and many of the current makers will stop their business. Less than a handful of the now famous artisans will still be in. I'd bet that B&M and Stirling would be among them. I don't really see any other. Sorry guys.
Furthermore, I believe that there will be demand for Wolfman razors, on the secondary market, but James won't be making razors anymore, he will be out of business. His current business model is questionable anyway. His razors will be for the elite of the shavers and will change hands for 1k at best.
In addition, most of us will use synthetic brushes and brush makers will slowly stop using badger hairs. Synthetics are the future for sure.
I guess we only are a very small, almost non-existent, percentage among people who shave. We belong to the minority. In the future, this percentage will be even lower. It seems that the demand is already not where it used to be. One of the main reasons why our hobby became more famous the last years is because there was a barbershop trend. I don't see this anymore. Social medias played a major role on this. Their power has no limit.
Oh, I almost forgot it. B&B will still be up and we will be looking forward to exchanging ideas and suggestions.

In 10 years only time will tell. Hopefully I'll still be here. The question should be. How do we look at the World Wide Market of Traditional Shaving? Will the Hobbyist become the minimalist? And. Do we depend on forums for ours shaving information? Will the products that we enjoy now, still be here?

Interesting discussion. I think that in 10 years things will not be much different than they are now. Sure, some artisans will go out of business but Im sure new artisans will pop up. I could see some of the artisan razor makes going out of business because making a razor that lasts a lifetime isnt exactly a good business model. It wouldnt surprise me if synthetic brushes were the only option simply because synthetics are cheaper, more durable and just better (IMO) than natural hair options.
Beyond that, I dont think things will much different than they are now. In the grand scheme of things, traditional wet shaving is still a very smart part of the market. The vast majority of people still use canned goo and Fusions.

Things will come and go but I see this hobby growing in the next 10 years. For the first time, I'm seeing an increase in wet shaving interest in the mass-produced space. In the local stores near me, there are Art of shaving and VDH kits coming in. Although they're not the best representatives of wet shaving, it's still part of it. People are going back to the traditional way of shaving because it works and it's enjoyable.

As for the forums, I'm not sure what'll happen. Technologies change and maybe we won't be using computers and phones in ten years. We might use some other devices but I think this forum will continue to exist and function. Brush artisans and razor makers will come and go but I think there will always be a cycle of people dropping out and coming in.

Ten years from now?

I will CARRY, not just use, but carry a straight razor. In my boot. Next to the leg scabbard for my double-barreled shotgun. And I'll wear an eye patch. And bizarrely mangled mechanics will look at my car and say in awe..."That's the last of the V-8 Interceptors."

I don’t see many changes in the traditional shaving market. Technology and social media wii evolve, but there will continue to be a place for straight and DE hobbyists and badger brushes. In the growing gig economy, new artisan soap makers can enter the market with ease. Ten years from now, people will be looking for antiques that were made today.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Exactly the same 10 years from now. Only difference will be how we communicate with each other about it.

I don’t believe we will ever get away from shaving. So there will always be a market for traditionalists like us.

10 years from now all the modern made DE razors will be on ebay for cheap because something new and improved has come out.

I think the members that created threads here back in 2006 had the same thought.

Hopefully yes.

I resemble that remark-joined March 2006 and had no idea what the 'good stuff' was or I would have hoarded it like crazy. By the time I knew about Swedes and C&E SAO, it was too late for stocking purposes.

I have an idea that what we feel is good now, will be gone by then-except for those of us who are currently hoarding, umm, stockpiling.

Exactly the same 10 years from now. Only difference will be how we communicate with each other about it.

I don’t believe we will ever get away from shaving. So there will always be a market for traditionalists like us.

10 years from now all the modern made DE razors will be on ebay for cheap because something new and improved has come out.

Exactly! I would have purchased a Toggle or 2 and several more Fatboys back then also. In stainless steel alone, there has been a proliferation of razors. I wonder what will be next?

marty

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
In addition, most of us will use synthetic brushes and brush makers will slowly stop using badger hairs. Synthetics are the future for sure.

Not me. Never met a synthetic I liked as much as real hair. A few of the ones I've gone through.
Plissoft - too soft, no back bone. Feels like a make up brush
Supply - not bad a couple steps below the Muhle
Omega S - a step or two below the Supply
Muhle Silvertip Fibre - The best of the lot

The only other synthetic I plan to try is the Simpson. I could use a Muhle if I HAD too. Which means if I can't find a natural fiber brush.

Not me. Never met a synthetic I liked as much as real hair. A few of the ones I've gone through.
Plissoft - too soft, no back bone. Feels like a make up brush
Supply - not bad a couple steps below the Muhle
Omega S - a step or two below the Supply
Muhle Silvertip Fibre - The best of the lot

The only other synthetic I plan to try is the Simpson. I could use a Muhle if I HAD too. Which means if I can't find a natural fiber brush.

Those are all Stone Age compared to today's YaQi synthetic brushes. Evolve into one. 🙂

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Those are all Stone Age compared to today's YaQi synthetic brushes. Evolve into one. 🙂

So I want 22mm at the largest and enjoy a loft under about 52mm. The ones I just looked at in 22mm in size say Plisson for the knot which looks a lot like what Supply and Captains choice are using for knots. Not sure, but if they are the same I would not be interested.

I think the main reason I don't like synthetic beyond the feel is that they don't absorb water. I like to face lather and like harder puck type soaps. Natural fibers are a bit more forgiving in the wetness department. A hair too much water in a synth and then you've got soap splattering down your arm.

Chandu, I face lather. You need this:

I agree 100%. I don’t have this one but I do have 2 WCS 24mm synths and have no issues face or head lathering with them with any soap I have. In all fairness and full disclosure, it does take a few times using one to get it figured out but once you do, they’re just as easy as my badger or boar.

Getting them figured out actually helped me get better with my natural hair brushes as well.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Interesting question.

I would imagine that this forum will be much different due to changes in technology. We might not need to use our PCs and phones anymore to post.

I wonder if DE and injector blades will continue to be made. Ceasing production is a sure way to end this hobby.

Cultural changes and social norms could also significantly alter our way of life.

I can predict the quality of the soaps will improve even more to the point where they will simply dissolve your beard while rejuvenating your skin.

Elite razors will be expensive paperweights.

Top Bottom