What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Danish oil I love using on darker wood the Tung oil is working good so far grain is standing out good and I'm going to build coats as I go it's slow but effective...

Yeah that's the problem its slow but it is also the best way, that people forget slow is good to get a good finish the more time you put in the better the outcome.

As the scales is the first thing people see so the little things count big style, that's my take on them that's why I enjoy making them lets face it they are a work of art but I must admit I have not used Tung oil that I must get around to trying....

Yeah that's the problem its slow but it is also the best way, that people forget slow is good to get a good finish the more time you put in the better the outcome.

As the scales is the first thing people see so the little things count big style, that's my take on them that's why I enjoy making them lets face it they are a work of art but I must admit I have not used Tung oil that I must get around to trying....
Although I admit to being impatient at some things I know that the time spent on these will pay off! The Tung oil is definitely not there finish for quick results! But think of it this way if you have a firearm (long gun) that has a gorgeous wood stock on it that is most likely a Tung oil finish (Tru oil) that's the best description I can give. Build lots of thin coats sanding in between with finer and finer grit sandpaper I'm currently at the 800 grit and likely to do 10 coats at this stage, followed by 10 more at 1k then 1500 at 10 more and so on till I reach 2500 at 10 coats then a run with white rouge at 3k rpm but we'll see if I am that patient ;) !!!

Sadly we dont have firearms here living in the UK our laws and red tape make it very hard, but that one take your time with it will be worth it in the end.
As those Wade & Butchers are well worth it.

Sadly we dont have firearms here living in the UK our laws and red tape make it very hard, but that one take your time with it will be worth it in the end.
As those Wade & Butchers are well worth it.
Yeah it's pretty sad about the firearms thing. So far the Wade is looking good all I have left to do now is to take it to the polisher and honing here is an update pic or two.
IMG_20190925_194515.jpg
IMG_20190925_194531.jpg

Ok she's as done as these hands can get her, buffed to a satin finish not quite mirror but that's exactly what I wanted I don't like the look of plastic, at least not on this old girl. The edge is a synth one lapping film from bevel set through .03um then stropped on canvas then veg tanned leather... Test shave planned for tomorrow.
IMG_20190926_204956.jpg
IMG_20190926_204942.jpg

Now that looks beautiful Sir!!! It has that rustic look for a fantastic razor well done.....
Thank you sir, hopefully she shaves as well as the honing process leads me to believe she will. She had no bevel to speak of, so setting one wasn't too much of a task. The smiling near wedge was... different.. rolling X strokes did the trick though. My (new to me) base plate is dead flat after lapping it on a known surface plate with black marker cross hatch till no marker showed. Thanks again for the kind words!

Alan that is beautiful love the washers, if the scales are horn soak in Neats Foot Oil to rehydrate them. A cracking job Sir :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

Top Bottom