What's new

Gillette 7 o’clock twin cartridge razor

I've used it. I never used the original Trac II. I'm not a big fan of twin blades unless it's the Sensor. I will shave with a Trac II if I have to, I guess, but I always found it producing more razor burn that I care for.

I’ve used it, but I find it to be on the rough side. It gives me a reasonably good shave but I can get nicks and weepers from it.
my preferred cart is a twin blade. I have found Japanese Schick Super II twin carts on the big auction sitemfor abut $1.00 US
, but it takes a lot of looking. Those carts are very sharp, last a long time (30 shaves for me). Although there is a lub strip, it is very inoffensiv.

I’ve used it, but I find it to be on the rough side. It gives me a reasonably good shave but I can get nicks and weepers from it.
my preferred cart is a twin blade. I have found Japanese Schick Super II twin carts on the big auction sitemfor abut $1.00 US
, but it takes a lot of looking. Those carts are very sharp, last a long time (30 shaves for me). Although there is a lub strip, it is very inoffensiv.

Trac II shaves closer than a DE but it definitely takes off more skin. It's just not worth it.

I don't know why people switched to them, frankly. Shick should have mopped the floor with Gillette- the Shick injector shaves about as close as the Trac II but with alot less irritation. It must have been clever marketting.

Trac II shaves closer than a DE but it definitely takes off more skin. It's just not worth it.

I don't know why people switched to them, frankly. Shick should have mopped the floor with Gillette- the Shick injector shaves about as close as the Trac II but with alot less irritation. It must have been clever marketting.

Well, because they were easier and more obvious for guys to use who didn't want to take the time to get good at shaving. Injectors had been around for decades before the Trac II. I get the sense they were always a bit of an oddball.

Well, because they were easier and more obvious for guys to use who didn't want to take the time to get good at shaving. Injectors had been around for decades before the Trac II. I get the sense they were always a bit of an oddball.

My grandfather shaved with a Shick, so did my dad. Also, in Japan, Shick regularly outsold Gillette, and at least until a few years ago, they were still produced there. Apparently, they were not that odd.

I think the fact that the US military repeatedly gave contracts to Gillette helped them in the US. Shick injectors seemed to have been an upscale way to shave, in comparison.

People switched to them because Gillette said that 2 blades is better than 1 and you could get away with 1 pass instead of 3.
Ive used the Trac II and the Sensor Excel (never used the 7 O'Clock though) and it is a very efficient shave. I didnt share the experience of it taking off too much skin. Its just like with a DE: you have to use a light touch and let the razor do the work. That goes with any razor though.

My grandfather shaved with a Shick, so did my dad. Also, in Japan, Shick regularly outsold Gillette, and at least until a few years ago, they were still produced there. Apparently, they were not that odd.

I think the fact that the US military repeatedly gave contracts to Gillette helped them in the US. Shick injectors seemed to have been an upscale way to shave, in comparison.

Noted, but I'm in the US and wasn't considering the Japanese market for injectors for the purpose of this discussion. Yes, the Gillettes took off when every WWI GI took one home with them from the front. But it's not as though other options weren't out there to buy. Lots of people in the US bought and used injectors, but they weren't a market leader by any stretch.

I actually think a single blade version of a Sensor could be interesting. They've already gone down to a new 2 blade cartridge... dropping one more blade wouldn't be that hard. The suspension system on the blades does help alot in reducing some of the irritation over the more curvy parts of a man's face. That's why I prefer the Sensor over the Trac II in terms of comfort.

But the Sensor has the problem that it can sometimes tug due to the two blade design (especially when it's the least bit dull), and produce ingrown hairs.

Top Bottom