What's new

First Dance: Grand Shave King

I finally got around to trying the Grand Shave King. I paired it with a Feather on its second use, and went with Stirling as the soap of choice. Three pass shave + a cleanup pass.

Man, this was one of my most comfortable shaves yet. DFS with no irritation. I didn't chase BBS, but I think I could have. The cleanup pass was a formality, as I only missed a scarce few hairs on my jawline with the ATG pass.

Pairing it with the Feather was a good call, as it's pretty mild. I will be curious how the SLOC and DOC compare to the forefather. This one is going into the regular rotation. :001_tt1:

These are not bad razors if you like mild. I've owned one and frankly wasn't impressed by the razor. It is definitely a smooth shaver but I didn't like the mess it left on each swipe. I would though recommend a less expensive and more readily available intro to SLOC razors aka Self Lubricating Open Comb from the modern variants like the Razorock SLOC, Yaqi razor heads only or ones made by Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements for those that would like to try something like this type of razor.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Todd.

Thanks for sharing Todd. Great review. I am considering this razor also!

Congratulations! Great when things just work! :a14: :a14:

No problem, and thank you!

These are not bad razors if you like mild. I've owned one and frankly wasn't impressed by the razor. It is definitely a smooth shaver but I didn't like the mess it left on each swipe. I would though recommend a less expensive and more readily available intro to SLOC razors aka Self Lubricating Open Comb from the modern variants like the Razorock SLOC, Yaqi razor heads only or ones made by Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements for those that would like to try something like this type of razor.

Aye, I like mild razors. I’m sorry that it didn’t work out for you.

I agree with your assessment for trying the RR SLOC or PAA DOC first. I did this backwards!

SLOC GSK DOC.jpg

I totally agree on this type of razor being comfortable.
It is also the safest razor I have used to date.
The Shave Angle is very narrow, and it is critical to listen for the blade noise to maximize the shave efficiency.
It is literally the one razor that tells you when you are doing it right, without putting yourself at risk of a nick or slice when you hear the blade.I
have found with most razors when you hear the blade noise you are at eminent risk of becoming a blood donor.
Especially with the Grand Shave King, which has longer and wider baseplate teeth, where the YAQI Mellon and the RazorRock have shorter and more narrow Baseplate teeth and the PAA DOC has more narrow and slightly pointed teeth on the lower baseplate.
The PAA DOC is capable of shaving the closest.
The YAQI Mellon/RazorRock SLOC are both a medium to mild shave
The Grand Shave King GSK is the mildest, yet please do not think because a razor is mild that it cannot provide a decent daily shave with a single pass.
Because a razor has good face manners does not mean it cannot provide a decent daily shave, if a closer shave is required a second and third pass using different shave direction may achieve your desired closeness of shave.
In my personal view, my daily morning shave is something to be enjoyed while providing me with an acceptable degree of clean shaved appearance and a comfortable face feel throughout the day.
Enjoy Your Shave, and Thanks for Listening

Top Bottom