What's new

For Love of Aqua Velva.

Unfortunately, we in the USA are unable to purchase the green Aqua Velva Original Sport and the few vendors who will ship from Canada to the USA are penalized by the bloated Royal Mail there for exorbitant rates. You'd think they were sending an engine block for what they want!! :mad5:

Aqua Velva my dad used it many years ago so I followed suit and it's been in my cabinet for 45 years. I use as my Saturday AS.
IMG_3967 (2).JPG

To me, Aqua Velva is quite simply the greatest aftershave of all time. You can pay hundreds of dollars for bottles of aftershave, probably more. But none of them have what Aqua Velva has - a rich, cool, manly history. It smells like a barbershop where old war vets hangout. It smells like a boxing gym. It smells like my dad getting ready for church. Its real and its beautiful. I do wear other aftershaves from time to time and I like many other products quite a lot, but Aqua Velva will always be #1 for me.

To me, Aqua Velva is quite simply the greatest aftershave of all time. You can pay hundreds of dollars for bottles of aftershave, probably more. But none of them have what Aqua Velva has - a rich, cool, manly history. It smells like a barbershop where old war vets hangout. It smells like a boxing gym. It smells like my dad getting ready for church. Its real and its beautiful. I do wear other aftershaves from time to time and I like many other products quite a lot, but Aqua Velva will always be #1 for me.
Perfectly said, sir.

Just bought a new 7 ounce bottle at Walmart recently. Have used it three times. Hate to break it to ya, but this new bottle smells different than my last bottle, which was bought late 2017. Cools the same, upon applying the scent is similar to the last bottle, but after half hour or so, it has a pungent, almost bitter aroma. So I went to another Walmart, opened four bottles, fingertipped a touch of lotion from each bottle to two different spots on the back of both hands, and after awhile, each spot had the stinky bitter smell of the bottle I just bought. Can't leave anything alone, can they.
That's really sad. I believe I still have three or four bottles that I picked up in the gift package from Walgreens a couple of years ago. It also came with a 7 ounce bottle of Aqua Velva Original Sport. Wonderful scent! I do believe that I'll have to check out the new bottles at Meijer when I go back to the store this weekend.

I have used Aqua Velva since I went back to DE shaving almost 5 years ago. Pretty much my only AS. Never irritation or any skin problems. Believe the company has mdoified the scent recently, but still like it and it will continue to be my regular AS.
Strongly suggest any dissatisfied users contact the company with complaints. Maybe they will return the old formula as AS Classic if they fee there is enough demand.

Last night, I picked up a tube of Aqua Velva Balm that is currently for sale in stores. I really enjoy the scent, and I thought I detected a spicy scent blended in. That was just a test sniff, and I will try it out on my next shave.

I will say though, my wife even liked the scent, and rubbed a small dab into her hand. She enjoys it, though my four year old finds it "weird" (her word, not mine.)

Thought you guys might like to know that I spoke with Brad at Maggard Razors a couple of weeks ago, mentioning the Spanish Aqua Velva in the glass bottle. He let me know that he has a vendor that also carries this, and was nice enough to order some when I asked. He even emailed me a couple of hours ago to let me know that he has it in stock! It's $14 a bottle, and I've already ordered mine. Be sure to place an order if you're interested! He had 12, now 11.

Be sure to thank them if you order some! I honestly thought it very considerate of them to carry it when I'd mentioned that I would prefer ordering from them over anyone else. Wonderful people! :clap:

Aqua Velva to me is what Vegital is to many. I just cant wear the stuff. Love the smell in the bottle BUT...when I splash some on and it reacts with my body chemistry it smells just like a skunk. I envy those that can wear it.

Finally got the chance to try my bottle of Spanish Aqua Velva that I picked up from Maggard Razors! You can very easily sniff the familiar notes from the American version, but it seems as though it treats the skin better than our version does. The heft and weight of the glass bottle, capped with the vintage style lid that we used to use on our version is really nice. This is the way Aqua Velva was meant to be used! I recommend everyone pick up a bottle when you can, though Maggard is currently sold out.

Does anyone know why they switched to plastic bottles for the American version?

Finally got the chance to try my bottle of Spanish Aqua Velva that I picked up from Maggard Razors! You can very easily sniff the familiar notes from the American version, but it seems as though it treats the skin better than our version does. The heft and weight of the glass bottle, capped with the vintage style lid that we used to use on our version is really nice. This is the way Aqua Velva was meant to be used! I recommend everyone pick up a bottle when you can, though Maggard is currently sold out.

Not 100% sure but I'm almost positive that Wal-Mart required it due to lower shipping costs.
The weird thing is, they still carry Gillette Cool Wave in glass (one of the best glass aftershave bottles in current production too)

I found a source for the Spanish AV for under $13 which includes shipping.

Top Bottom